Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not The Trivial things that make you happy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

When I was coming off the slip road today this fella in a jeep wouldn't let me in,we glanced at each other briefly and I had to slow down and pull in behind him,I then went into the other lane and as I was about to pass him he decided he was in the wrong lane and tried to pull over right in front of me but I kept going and he was behind me approaching the lights where I just got through but he had to stop.

Very childish I know but it did make me happy.ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Was slightly late for a hair appointment today so called to say I was running slightly late. Turned out they had me booked in with the wrong person and 15 minutes earlier than my appointment was supposed to be. Really wanted to get it done so called somewhere else and got an appointment which was really efficient, the hairdresser was sound and I came out with a much better result than I have done previously with the first salon! Delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I got my dog groomed yesterday. She is lepping around like a daft puppy, delighted to be rid of her heavy coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Trivially happy that I am not a mother yet. Spent the last 48 hours minding two kids under 4. Holy shiz. Tired isn't the word. (So tired that I just posted this in the wrong thread, twice) I will enjoy my uninterrupted sleep tonight and will continue to be selfish and carefree for another few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

TH, an acquaintance I hadn't seen for a while remarked on me losing a lot of weight.

This conversation I overheard in a train station, two older man sitting on one of the seats were talking, one stopped to ask a staff member where that member was from, he responded that he was a dub and walked off. The first man turned to the second and said, "you would have to be so nice to them(train staff) as you never know where you'll meet them down the town" awww, made me homesick for the times I lived in small towns and we had to mind P&Q's as it would be all over the place in a nano if i didn't, even tho the mobile hadnt be invented yet.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Hands up, I dont like the person that has been elected mayor of the city im in this weekend, or his politics.

He has decided that he is going to regenerate the area he's "from", even tho he went to boarding school and uni in other places.
    So what makes me TH about that? my neighbour asked him in response to a comment he made before he was elected to the cll, where he lived in the area, he said the name of the road they were on, his response to "what no?" was "Oh, it was such and such road"(1 estate over).
    Love to see over fed and not very bright politicians make twits of themselves in public, esp if they do it regularly.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

So, I'm pricing the bejaysas out of the world and its mother. Was quoted around €28 per sqm for flooring (not sure exactly how much as the chancers were pricing in the smaller sqyd). I emailed various businesses and when they saw the quantity the lowest price I got back was precisely €14.50 per sqm (including delivery). For the exact same product. I went back to yer man with the €28 price and said it to him.

Me: Can you beat €14.50 per sqm?
    Yer man: Jaysas, that's a good price (after looking at his screen); that's a great price.
    Me: Listen, I'll leave it with you and sure come back if you can beat it.
    Next morning, yer man: I've just been on to our supplier and between me and you I ate the bollocks off him. Not happy with him at all, and I'll tell you that for nothing [I could feel his anger - mar dhea!]. We've been loyal customers of his for years and to be honest I couldn't believe he'd do that to us (there followed a massive story on a stick about how well yer man's company looked after his supplier in the tough days). Listen, seeing as I know you (!!) the best we can do and you know I've tried really hard, is match the other fella's price.

Just like that, he could take thousands off the price he was willing to charge me last week for the exact same product. Just like that.

The amount of acting, pulling the wool over the eyes, beguiling, shenanigans and complete and absolute roguery in business is hugely entertaining. Totus mundus agit histrionem, to paraphrase Pythagoras. You wouldn't get it in the Abbey Theatre; acting is the biggest business in Ireland! Still, despite the entertainment from little robbing bastard (who is part of a massive, hugely profitable [understandably!] company) down the road here in Dublin I think I'll give my business to the smaller company on the other side of Ireland just for forcing the rest of them to be a bit more honest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Waiting at the lights with my indicator on. The clicks of the indicator synced up perfectly with the beat of the jazz tune on the radio. Actually considered not turning it off when I moved off.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Finally tidying up a large hedge in the front garden. Nice ache in the muscles from all the pullin and draggin.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I currently have a small egg incubator sitting on my kitchen counter. We have been minding the eggs for the last three weeks dutifully turning the eggs (mostly) twice per day and keeping the moisture level up. We have had a couple of instances when the incubator was plugged out for 1-4 hours, or the eggs may have only been turned once per day or on another occasion I didn't notice that the water compartment was dry. Anyway I wouldn't have been confident that we were going to get chicks BUT I'm sitting here in the kitchen and can hear 'cheep, cheep' coming out of the incubator. Looking at the eggs there are two (out of three) bantam eggs with cracks in them. The kids are delighted and I have a big silly grin on my face. The other eggs are guinea fowl and aren't due to hatch until next weekend so fingers crossed :-) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Can I mention the loooong evenings again?

Seriously, they're the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭mikemac2

A girl left her iPad at Spencer dock luas stop this morning. She was one stop up the line and then immediately got the luas back and sprinted to the bench where it was left

iPad still there. Few people around and nobody touched it

I know I know this should be what happens always though we know this would not happen at a busier time and a busier stop

Faith in humanity restored :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

How I am enjoying my week off now with a lovely morning in bed playing video games its the best !!!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I bought a new phone last week and I ordered a tamagotchi from Japan weeks ago. Yes, I know I'm insane. My OH just sent me a picture, both of them have arrived on the same day. Can't wait to get home from work today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I'm working later. It might seem strange to be TH about that, but I work outdoors, and I love it this time of year. In the winter with three jackets on is not so enjoyable.

Not every day can any of you say you walked into your bathroom and saw an elephant in it. This morning, I can!

Herself, all 2 years plus of her, who is now being potty-trained, took her rather large elephant teddybear cuddly toy into the bathroom and was potty training her/him/it!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Not every day can any of you say you walked into your bathroom and saw an elephant in it. This morning, I can!

Herself, all 2 years plus of her, who is now being potty-trained, took her rather large elephant teddybear cuddly toy into the bathroom and was potty training her/him/it!

aw that's made me happy ! cuteness overload

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Missus is up the duff! :D (not trivial!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I spent the past week looking at a lawn showing severe signs of drought. Will I, won't I, water it. I'm loathe the waste water on a lawn. This morning I was still in two minds but drifting towards putting the sprinkler on it.

Now it's raining. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

There must be something in the air..I just came on here to say that I just got a phone call to tell me that we've a baby on the way in January ( not me personally ,it's one that I can hand backðŸ˜)...I'm over the moon,so happy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

My friend has just asked me to house-sit and dog-sit for her for the foreseeable future.

I'm so scared it won't transpire, but god, if it did ... I've not had a home since June 2015. The thoughts of going back to the same familiar bed one night after another ... I'm just ... overwhelmed. I wish it could happen. I hope it will happen! It looks like it will.

Fingers toes and everything crossable crossed. It's beyond my wildest dreams, to even spend a week not living on couches and out of the boot of my car. Two nights in a row in the same place is such a luxury, the odd time it happens. Let alone weeks on end!

Thinking happy happy happy thoughts ... I'm a good person, I deserve this break! I do! It WILL happen!

The mutt loves me. I swear it's like a sign! Animals and me don't get on, well I've never had a pet so I don't know how. But this yoke has glued himself to me. And the feeling is mutual! His "mammy" (owner) is unimpressed :D

So I've an open invitation to stay here the rest of forever. Or at least till I find my own little niche in the word.

Thank God. I needed this so badly. Things really do happen at just the right time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

Passing the first stage of my work probation. Anxiety is an issue for me, so this is real confidence builder.

Tonight's sequel on the elephant. I marched herself upstairs while she practised her counting out loud with each step. She brushed her teeth and then remembered she left her elephant downstairs. I went downstairs where I found her elephant under a kitchen chair in the sitting room laid out on a cushion from the couch and tucked under a blanket (taken from the back of the couch). He was fast asleep. I left him on the cushion and carried him upstairs, where she was waiting behind the child barrier at the top. She shouted 'Yeaaaa' when she saw me come up with the elephant. I told her shhhh he's fast asleep and you'll wake him up, she looked serious and "helped" me open the top barrier. She walked ahead of me into the room saying shhh shhh all the time with her little finger next to her mouth. I put the elephant down, lifted her up and into the cot, gently and quietly gave her the elephant while she kept her finger to her lips requesting quiet. She put the elephant down, put her arm around him and fell asleep next to him.

No never-ending bedtime stories (the tricks and negotiation strategies she employs for avoiding going to sleep are creative) and no "discussions" (they are getting more hilarious as she gets more words). I've never got away as lightly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Watching something on Netflix at the moment and it just speaks to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Tonight's sequel on the elephant. I marched herself upstairs while she practised her counting out loud with each step. She brushed her teeth and then remembered she left her elephant downstairs. I went downstairs where I found her elephant under a kitchen chair in the sitting room laid out on a cushion from the couch and tucked under a blanket (taken from the back of the couch). He was fast asleep. I left him on the cushion and carried him upstairs, where she was waiting behind the child barrier at the top. She shouted 'Yeaaaa' when she saw me come up with the elephant. I told her shhhh he's fast asleep and you'll wake him up, she looked serious and "helped" me open the top barrier. She walked ahead of me into the room saying shhh shhh all the time with her little finger next to her mouth. I put the elephant down, lifted her up and into the cot, gently and quietly gave her the elephant while she kept her finger to her lips requesting quiet. She put the elephant down, put her arm around him and fell asleep next to him.

No never-ending bedtime stories (the tricks and negotiation strategies she employs for avoiding going to sleep are creative) and no "discussions" (they are getting more hilarious as she gets more words). I've never got away as lightly!

Really looking forward to the next episode! So far this has given me mega smiles, more than I've had in weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

The mutt loves me. I swear it's like a sign! Animals and me don't get on, well I've never had a pet so I don't know how. But this yoke has glued himself to me. And the feeling is mutual! His "mammy" (owner) is unimpressed :D

So I've an open invitation to stay here the rest of forever. Or at least till I find my own little niche in the word.

Thank God. I needed this so badly. Things really do happen at just the right time.

I'm thrilled for you. That has made my week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Jrop wrote: »
    I'm thrilled for you. That has made my week.

Without going into details, this couldn't have come at a better time. In light of things suddenly getting a lot worse in the toxic toxic environment I have been spending most of my time in. My mental health professionals have been constantly telling me how damaging it is to me, I know they just want to parachute me out of it, and they've done their best in terms of letters to local county council etc, but it's a slow process.

So now I'm the right side of the country, I'm only a few minutes away from my three-year-old son (instead of several hours away.) I have a home, a lovely one. I have safety and security and lots of lovely good people in my life. My god, the difference it makes to feel somewhat safe again going to bed at night. It's been way too long.

I'm just so so so very grateful for what I have right now. I'm very lucky. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I bought something off ebay and in communication with the seller I mentioned that it was a present for someone.
    I got the package yesterday and they had included some birthday wrapping paper, an extra accessory and a nice note.
    People can be so decent sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

The missus is away for the next 48 hours, while the cat's away......the mouse will realistically sit around in her pyjamas, fap, eat, fap some more, watch netflix and nap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

The missus is away for the next 48 hours, while the cat's away......the mouse will realistically sit around in her pyjamas, fap, eat, fap some more, watch netflix and nap.

She would be disappointed in you if you did anything else!
    When mine was away recently I donned a sombrero and watched some Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns. Sure why wouldn't I?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement