Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not The Trivial things that make you happy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Is there not meals on wheels in your area Grace?
    No need for anyone to be living like that in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

A lovely warm shower after exercise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I've been extremely tired and busy recently, not helped by a teething one-year-old. I took today off work to do some study, but since my child went off to the minder's anyway I had a reeeally long lie-in! It was absolute bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I am fine; just forgot yesterday is all! Easy to do at my age! Well my trivial happy is simple food.. I had lit the range earlier than usual, and put a flaked barley pudding in a small brown earthenware dish in the side oven, and then two potatoes, and left them to it. When I closed down, a lovely simple meal. Salt and butter on the potatoes and the pudding was yummy.. total cost under 5o cents too. You can keep your takeaways and crisps and pizzas etc...

Is there not meals on wheels in your area Grace?
    No need for anyone to be living like that in this day and age.

I live simply and that is fine.. cannot cope with meat etc or big meals... my way of living is choice...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Ah I see, that's different then, whatever makes you happy :)

My dogs, again, are making me happy. I've been unwell for a while and have had no interest in food, or sweets/treats. This has not gone unnoticed by the dogs. The youngest one was sitting barking in my face last night, probably wondering "mammy why you not eating anything nice?".

I love that anytime I sit with my feet on the floor he comes over and plonks his bum right down on my foot. Clearly that bum wasn't made for a cold floor.
    God they make my entire life brighter.

Lovely pint and Hunky dorys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

when you buy food at a counter and the person serving is over weight , you just know big helpings are coming :)
    the chubby mumsy types are the best.

Graces7 wrote: »
    I live simply and that is fine.. cannot cope with meat etc or big meals... my way of living is choice...

I think the other posters are just showing concern :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

My two trivial happy things for the day:

1. Feeding my lovely chickens, and less than ten minutes later seeing the feeder crowded by six collared doves, a robin, a blue tit, and a scattering of sparrows. :)

2. Having my cantankerous cat wake up, and on his own initiative, say a little kitty 'meow', jump on my lap, settle there, and purr like mad. :):)

• Advertisement

Ah little chickens :)

My uncle used to keep geese. Do you get many eggs from them New Home?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I get about one egg every two days, this time of year, and one every day when it gets warmer. I've only two, husband and wife, so to speak, I'm not sure what breed they are but they are about the size of a pigeon. And they are so, so cute. :o He stands guard while she lays her egg, and when she comes out of the coop he starts singing his heart out and he looks so proud... :D If he finds little tidbits to eat, he calls her over and drops the bite in front of her. They are wonderful. :)

Here they are on the perch, and there's also a photo of one of their little eggs beside a normal one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Seeing daylight and blue sky when leaving work this evening. Bliss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

My new rented house has an open fire. There is nothing nicer after a looooong day at work than coming home, lighting the fire, putting on big fluffy slippers and making a cup of tea. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm looking forward to getting into bed in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Homemade shepherds pie on a cold evening, yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I have nothing on tomorrow or the day after. I am going to do nothing.
    And breath out. *Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh* :)

Last evening I got to stroke my new( ish) cat without getting clawed! OK she WAS eating but all the same.. I took her in from a small rescue 6 months ago. She had been saved from a ******* of a man who was trying to bury her newborn kittens and ??her?? ( the person who intervened was hysterical) . I gathered her in when the kittens were ready to go and she was so sweet and affectionate. Then the "mumsy" hormones wore off and she reverted to the generational feral mode; nearly took my hand off. OUCH! She hid under the bed weeks, attacking my ankles, then I blocked that off. She watches me, and offers a mean left hook if i try to take liberties, but when I am am getting the food ready, winds round my ankles... Happy girl and safe which is what matters; I never ask anything of my rescues. Just that they are safe and eating well... Yesterday when she was eating I risked it and stroked her head.. such soft fur she has, pretty little cat, and no claws.... Made me very happy. She is a true feral this one, learning slowly to play with my other downstairs rescue who was a house pet. Lovely to see her relax.

That has to be one of the best feelings, Grace... :):3

New Home wrote: »
    That has to be one of the best feelings, Grace... :):3

Scary though as she has the meanest left hook you ever saw! Fast as lightning. I once forgot and when she was asleep, simply touched her as I walked past; you know that cartoon of a cat hit by electricity! She went in all directions. Did not even scratch, just in terror. That cat has had to fight for survival every day of her life. Such a sweet wee purrer...at some stage I have to get her spayed but waiting until she is more settled and keeping her in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

I had 4 chickens before , lovely creatures .
    I miss them but there was just too much poo in my garden.

They are wonderful. :)

Here they are on the perch, and there's also a photo of one of their little eggs beside a normal one.

Aw they are very sweet New Home! Such a lovely thing to do I think is keep chickens :)

My mam had a little pig when she was a girl. Unfortunately it was taken away to be turned in to rashers. She couldn't look at a sausage or rasher for years after that.

Aw they are very sweet New Home! Such a lovely thing to do I think is keep chickens :)

My mam had a little pig when she was a girl. Unfortunately it was taken away to be turned in to rashers. She couldn't look at a sausage or rasher for years after that.

OH NOOOOOO....:(:(:(:(:( Poor piggy... :(:(:( How can you eat a pet... It's beyond me... :(:(:(

arayess wrote: »
    I had 4 chickens before , lovely creatures .
    I miss them but there was just too much poo in my garden.

Always had chickens on the island, and geese and duck and peacocks,, there were unless the black backed gull attacked, no predators so they were free range. Wanted them here, ie in my first house, and built the three I got from a rescue a lovely coop. Sadly mink got in and killed the lot. I did have one hen who had no real feet and she lasted longer! A real character she was...

OH NOOOOOO....:(:(:(:(:( Poor piggy... :(:(:( How can you eat a pet... It's beyond me... :(:(:(

Ok true story time! When I was little I had a pet rabbit. Called him Popeye as he had only one eye.. He lived in a hutch at the bottom of the garden and I loved him dearly..One morning I found the hutch door open and HE HAD GONE, I searched and searched and was late for school.. ( OUCH TIME) At lunchtime we had.. rabbit. My mother assured me it had come from next door and being a trusting child I ate it.. it was many many years later my mother told me THAT WAS POPEYE!! I HAD EATEN MY RABBIT! Apparently she wanted nothing to do with it so my father took POPEYE next door to be cooked .. I was literally physically sick when she told me.... can barely face meat as the years pass and getting that way with fish.. but POPEYE!!Suffice it to say that typified my father..

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ok true story time! When I was little I had a pet rabbit. Called him Popeye as he had only one eye.. He lived in a hutch at the bottom of the garden and I loved him dearly..One morning I found the hutch door open and HE HAD GONE, I searched and searched and was late for school.. ( OUCH TIME) At lunchtime we had.. rabbit. My mother assured me it had come from next door and being a trusting child I ate it.. it was many many years later my mother told me THAT WAS POPEYE!! I HAD EATEN MY RABBIT! Apparently she wanted nothing to do with it so my father took POPEYE next door to be cooked .. I was literally physically sick when she told me.... can barely face meat as the years pass and getting that way with fish.. but POPEYE!!Suffice it to say that typified my father..

Unfortunately, I think every child who grew up in the countryside had similar horror stories... :(

I remember going to a cousin's wedding in Germany when I was barely out of primary school - my first trip abroad, very exciting! As a treat, they took us out and brought us to a restaurant on a ship, where they ordered a mince-like dish for us. Only after we had eaten most of it, were we told that it was donkey meat! I was heartbroken, we had a pet donkey at home, I couldn't believe they could do something like that to us... One of the reasons I turned veggie a long time ago.

I know. I'm not a vegetarian but I couldn't eat an animal that was my pet. This was back in the late fifties though. I think :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Emails with the subject:

We've Delivered Your Order

• Registered Users Posts: 38 smarty_mcfly

A hug from my daughter before heading out to work

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, I think every child who grew up in the countryside had similar horror stories... :(

I remember going to a cousin's wedding in Germany when I was barely out of primary school - my first trip abroad, very exciting! As a treat, they took us out and brought us to a restaurant on a ship, where they ordered a mince-like dish for us. Only after we had eaten most of it, were we told that it was donkey meat! I was heartbroken, we had a pet donkey at home, I couldn't believe they could do something like that to us... One of the reasons I turned veggie a long time ago.

Not countryside.. urban! He used to shoot sparrow and laugh at me.. I know re country ways! DONKEY MEAT! yukkk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement