Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OLF & OGUK

• 27-02-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi,

I am going to do my OGUK medical for the first time with the doctor that usually does my ENG11. I enquired if they do the OLF, and their receptionist said they do, but they dont have the paperwork for it, and asked me if I, or my future employer might have it. Should I be concerned about this? I would have thought the paperwork would be issued directly to the doctor by the authorities, and not something you print off online and bring with you.
    Any suggestions?

cheers,

James
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

jamesdiver wrote: »
    Hi,

I am going to do my OGUK medical for the first time with the doctor that usually does my ENG11. I enquired if they do the OLF, and their receptionist said they do, but they dont have the paperwork for it, and asked me if I, or my future employer might have it. Should I be concerned about this? I would have thought the paperwork would be issued directly to the doctor by the authorities, and not something you print off online and bring with you.
    Any suggestions?

cheers,

James

Shouldnt be a problem as long as the doctor is approved by NBH,Norwegian board of health.

http://www.helsetilsynet.no/upload/Publikasjoner/veiledningsserien/guideline_examination_divers_ik-2708.pdf

http://www.dykkemedisin.no/Filesfordownload/skjemayrkesdykking/Dykkerleger.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Thanks LRS.

Hi LRS,

I had another read, and I think there is some confusion. Despite my username, I was not looking for diving medicals, rather the OGUK and OLF for ship based survey work. I think getting my commercial diving medical (HSA) recognised is a whole different kettle of fish :)

So I've received a few replies to my query, from a training agency, two doctors who previously conducted OLF medicals, and 2 people currently employed in the sector. The general gist is, that as of Jan 2014, OLF medicals can only be conducted by a Norwegian doctor, accredited by a training course held in Norway.

However, the Norwegian directorate now advises that OGUK will be recognised in the Norwegian sector

So long story short, I think I'm ok, but it seems this information has not filtered through to all the employers.

regards,

James

Hi LRS,

I had another read, and I think there is some confusion. Despite my username, I was not looking for diving medicals, rather the OGUK and OLF for ship based survey work. I think getting my commercial diving medical (HSA) recognised is a whole different kettle of fish :)

So I've received a few replies to my query, from a training agency, two doctors who previously conducted OLF medicals, and 2 people currently employed in the sector. The general gist is, that as of Jan 2014, OLF medicals can only be conducted by a Norwegian doctor, accredited by a training course held in Norway.

However, the Norwegian directorate now advises that OGUK will be recognised in the Norwegian sector

So long story short, I think I'm ok, but it seems this information has not filtered through to all the employers.

regards,

James

Hi James

Ok,sorry I thought off course because of your username that it was for diving.
    But I think the The general offshore medical is not far from the diving anyway.
    But at least I am glad it worked out for you in the end.
    Best of luck

LRS

Thanks mate, its a pity they cant all be lumped into one medical. OGUK, OLF, ENG11, HSA diving, guts of a grand there for a cough test and a bit of piss :)

• Advertisement

Thanks mate, its a pity they cant all be lumped into one medical. OGUK, OLF, ENG11, HSA diving, guts of a grand there for a cough test and a bit of piss :)

Yes i couldn't agree more,afterall we are all doing the same job at the end of the day.and you have to be medical fit no matter if you are a diver or a roughneck anyway.
    And the price is ridiculous for 10 min with the doc.

LRS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Hi LRS,

regards,

James

Thanks for the link James.

Had not been aware of that the OGUK medical was now officially accepted in Norway.
    No. Defiantly has not filtered through to employers up there yet.
    Although has not seemed to be a problem for me in the past (when they want you), just two days ago turned down work up there for the whole season, company approached me and then insisted I need to go off and do a Norwegian Medical and Survival.

Noticed you mentioned "survey work". Which outfit are you going up there with?

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Advertisement