Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia College Interview Primary Teaching

Options
  • 27-02-2014 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi. Just applied for Hibernia College Primary Teaching Course and expecting an interview in the next week or so. Freaking out about the Irish part as I haven't been near Irish in years!! Any advice or can anyone let me know what kind of questions they ask?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ianbermo

I did it in September. Straightforward enough. My family... What they do?... Where I live?... A little on where I work and what i do in that job (they have all your details from your application in front of you)... My hobbies. Mine was music and sport. Music led to when i saw Eminem in Slane the month before. They asked was there drugs etc. But didn't go into the issue in great detail. Also they asked what i WOULD do if i won the lottery?

My advice is to relax and speak as much as you can. What they're looking for in particular is not necessarily the content of what you say, but that you're able to understand the tenses and able to respond in the correct tense.

They were really friendly and they help you on your way. It flies take my word. Don't forget your passport :)

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

I did my Irish interview and it was about 15 mins long, not 10! It was awful, I was asked really awkward questions and my nerves got the better of me. Every question jumped all around the place from past, present, future and MC.

I was asked open questions and when I got into a flow, I was cut short, then I was asked closed questions and when answered then I was met with silence as she looked back at me blankly. Senseless. Some of the questions I was asked you wouldn't ask in English. While I think the interviewer was nice and had a good heart, she is a teacher and was rather condescending and instead of letting me think for myself, was prompting me and putting words in my mouth. I actually felt like I was back in primary school myself. I knew straight away I'd failed so sent in another application, but apparently after wasting €80 I now have to travel to Dublin to do an Irish course as well as costing me €250 before I can do the interview again, and pay another €80.

Bit of a money making racket if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jmc1984

Can I ask when you did your interview?

2 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Sonshine

Hey I also applied for this course but my application only went in the on the last day I still haven't heard my interview date.....getting antsy!! :-/

• Advertisement

Sonshine wrote: »
    Hey I also applied for this course but my application only went in the on the last day I still haven't heard my interview date.....getting antsy!! :-/

They've extended the deadline date to March 21st I see due to an influx of applications. I had my interview yesterday, I don't feel it went very well. They kind of stumped me one one or two of the English questions and my Irish just fell to pieces when I went in which I was disappointed with as really felt I was prepared. Anyways, I can apply again straight away but I'm order to get another interview il have to do the Gaelchultur course which is starting next week.

Thanks jmc1984 I hadn't spotted that. I can't believe they make you do the Irish course?!! That's ridiculous and makes me think it could well be a money racket?! >:-( also extending it until 21st March is really cutting it fine with the course beginning in April!

Let's hope the interview went better than u thought! Fingers crossed :-)

Don't worry, they are behind in getting through applications at the moment.

It's annoying that they are only running Gaelchultur from Dublin now as I'll have to travel up, and it's also gone up 50 euro since last year...

It's starting this Saturday, may see some of ye there!

I was well prepared too, just nervous. PITA, down 80 euro, and 250 and then another 80 :(

Hmmm do u reckon it's worth my while doing the gealchultur course before the interview then?! I got my date it's next wk :-O so scared!!!

Hmmm do u reckon it's worth my while doing the gealchultur course before the interview then?! I got my date it's next wk :-O so scared!!!

Well if your interview is next week then you won't have the course done as it runs from 15th March - 10th April if I remember rightly. I got grinds myself beforehand and they really helped as its been years since I've been anywhere near Irish. The interviewers are really lovely so don't be scared!

• Advertisement

jmc1984 wrote: »
    Well if your interview is next week then you won't have the course done as it runs from 15th March - 10th April if I remember rightly. I got grinds myself beforehand and they really helped as its been years since I've been anywhere near Irish. The interviewers are really lovely so don't be scared!

Ah sry I thought u meant a day course, I'm going to cómhrá classes at the mo hopefully they'll help! Sure we can only do out best eh?! Thanks for the advice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

The interview is fairly basic - though if jumping between tenses poses a problem, maybe teaching isn't for you. Teaching Irish up to 6th class is a pretty big task,there's lots of grammar involved. It shouldn't be looked on as something that can be v easily achieved. Teachers should be pretty fluent.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

Ie Jumping between tenses should be the norm for teachers as that would be expected every day! While I'm not fluent, I think that the ability to jump between tenses should be a natural (or sought after) ability for all primary teachers I can't understand how this is such a difficulty. It seems to be a bigger difficulty for people who train in Ireland than those who do additional training after going to the UK. There seems to be additional training required for UK graduates lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 futureteacher?

So anybody hear if they got a place yet? I totally screwed up irish interview. Kept goin blank and then when i remember what i wanted to say interviewer would cut across me. and they were like you will "what your sandwiches when you go home". I was like "I will eat as Gaelige". But i think he thought i was thick or something. Felt like i was being spoon fed anwers when they didn't need to do that for me. Ahhh. Oh well fingers crossed otherwise i will try again next time.

So anybody hear if they got a place yet? I totally screwed up irish interview. Kept goin blank and then when i remember what i wanted to say interviewer would cut across me. and they were like you will "what your sandwiches when you go home". I was like "I will eat as Gaelige". But i think he thought i was thick or something. Felt like i was being spoon fed anwers when they didn't need to do that for me. Ahhh. Oh well fingers crossed otherwise i will try again next time.

I found out I got accepted even tho I really felt the interview didn't go well at all so hang in there!

Congrats - fingers crossed. How long before you heard?

Did they have a piece of paper in the irish with a line down the middle?
    writing stuff down? I was trying to see it but no luck. Torching myself at the moment - constantly checking me email.

Congrats - fingers crossed. How long before you heard?

Did they have a piece of paper in the irish with a line down the middle?
    writing stuff down? I was trying to see it but no luck. Torching myself at the moment - constantly checking me email.

I had my interview on a Tuesday and got an email on the Friday so was quick enough to hear. In the Irish there was a woman asking the questions and a fella to her right taking notes alright but I didn't take much notice tbh.

I'm doing the irish course at the moment to enable me to do the interview again. I had the interview Monday and got word Friday.

My interview went much the same way. I was asked how to make a cup of tea for gods sake. :rolleyes:

There are people in the gaelchultur class who have degrees in Irish who failed, due to nerves and going blank because they were asked stupid questions in Irish that they couldn't even think of the answers in English.

still no word - suppose no news is good news. Did anybody who interviewed last week hear yet?

Did you check your spam mail?
    still no word - suppose no news is good news. Did anybody who interviewed last week hear yet?

• Advertisement

yep - nada!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Amylouf88

yep - nada!

Hi, I got accepted into the April cohort a few weeks ago, just wondering if you heard anything back yet? I've paid etc but still waiting on info about the induction. All I've been given is a possible date. Have you or anyone who's starting in April received any details yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lornam

hey guys!has anyone heard back about the course?
    with the new changes and it becoming a masters , I am abit worried about applying.
    has anyone done an interview under the new provision,i don't think the interview process is to change much however I am just anxious about irish interview.
    I did the gael cultur course which is linked with Hibernia last summer and I found it very helpful. They cover everything,and start from the very beginning. I was due to apply after the course,however was in an accidient in September and that has put everything on hold.So now I am hoping to apply in the summer and defer it until next year.

has anyone any tips for the interview?:/
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Howyaaaaa7

I just applied for the September intake! Would be interested to hear of anyone that had their interview already for this intake.

Advertisement