Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Debit card to got for abroad

Options
  • 27-02-2014 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I am reluctant to get a credit card but need a back up card when away travelling. Can anybody recommend please a debit card that isn't going to charge a lot per transaction?

Thanks a mil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I recently got a VIABUY debit card. Its a prepaid Mastercard that you can load up by transferring money onto it. You can send money from your bank account which has no fee.

The card does cost €30 a year to have ( Which you pay for 3 years up front - You have to load the card up after you get it , I didnt read the T&C at the time of ordering). There are no charges for buying stuff with it after that.

What I like about it is that it does not say debit card on it and its a proper card with your name embossed, so its great for renting a car or checking into hotel with because they assume its a credit card. Has worked for me every time I used it so far.

The online system for statements etc is done well too.

www.viabuy.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Tzardine wrote: »
    I recently got a VIABUY debit card. Its a prepaid Mastercard that you can load up by transferring money onto it. You can send money from your bank account which has no fee.

The card does cost €30 a year to have ( Which you pay for 3 years up front - You have to load the card up after you get it , I didnt read the T&C at the time of ordering). There are no charges for buying stuff with it after that.

What I like about it is that it does not say debit card on it and its a proper card with your name embossed, so its great for renting a car or checking into hotel with because they assume its a credit card. Has worked for me every time I used it so far.

The online system for statements etc is done well too.

www.viabuy.com

What happens when you check into a hotel and they put their 'block' on it?
    I presume you are down that money until you check out?

OP, If your travel involves UK or USA, an post do a prepaid card in that currency.There is tx charge for getting cash, but none for point of sale.

Advertisement