Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damp garden 2.0

• 27-02-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi all, a while ago i started a thread on my damp garden (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056834854) - want to say thanks again to all that contributed. basically what it was about is: new built house and back garden very, very damp due to compacted soil and builders rubbish in it. I needed it to drain well as i wanted to keep chickens and they dont like to live in very damp conditions. what i had done is I dug up a big hole in a middle of garden with 5 arms from corners of garden (there are 4 corners, i know) meeting at the centre. kind of octopus shape thing. I filled it with stone, wrapped in weed fabric. it works well i think considering the beautiful weather we had so far this winter, but i was thinking of taking next step and here is where i need some professional advice.
    garden is completely flat (pic on old thread), there is a shed in a far corner. I'd like to raise a level of garden by building a step out of railway sleepers (2 high) and bring enough of good quality topsoil to make a slope towards the back of the garden (there's additional waste rain water pipe approx. foot below ground level). i wouldnt move shed, as i feel that it's too much of logistic problem and it sits on paving slabs so i reckon it should be ok. big question is am i thinking right? could someone advise please if this is a right way to go?
    the reason for it is not only to improve drainage, but also to make garden look nicer and to get better quality soil in for the lawn, so gras can grow quicker, especially that chickens are eating it.
    does it make sens to anybody? and yes, i realise this is really long and a bit chaotic so I thank you for your patience :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Good for you Tsuzmir. I did follow that thread so very well done on that.

I have a raised back garden myself and it works great. Drainage is not really an issue, especially when compared with my front lawn (which is level with the path/driveway). I try to keep both of them well forked and fed, which I find helps a lot.

What I didn't do, and I should have done, is put enough (or any really) sand down underneath the topsoil I brought in. Make sure you scrub off the current grass, rotavate it thoroughly (when you think you're finished, go around once or twice more!) and then lay down as much sand as you can get your hands on. Finally, put your couple of inches of topsoil on top. (Try to get good quality soil - not stuff scraped off the side of a road that I got!!). Sloping towards your back wall will make a difference too.

I laid grass sods down because I wanted the immediate lawn (it also worked out well financially) and I also wanted to make it as hard as possible for weeds to get in from the start. I would highly recommend doing that.

The result is a very good lawn which deals pretty well with kids and their usual traffic and I don't have any drainage problems. Three years in however, I need to give it a good rake with the scarifier as soon as the weather dries out to take up the little bit of moss that has started to gather in some small areas.

One thing though, would you consider using a brick wall instead of sleepers? They look better, are easier to keep, and give a cleaner edge to the lawn/patio in my opinion.

Anyway, the best of luck with it and keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 WhichCar

Re. the drainage, put stones, then sand, then top soil in. Re. the hens, would you consider siting them in the middle of the garden? The reason I ask is because, I have a similar size garden and put in a hen run at the bottom corner. Even though I was scrupulous about keeping their food locked in their house, they attracted some furry friends. I found out afterwards that rats are less likely to cross 'open ground' preferring to skirt around the periphery. My garden was already laid out with paths and beds by then, so it was too late to re-site the hens, so I re-homed them instead. It was a pity because I've kept hens before and they're great - easy to keep, lovely to watch, plus free eggs!

Advertisement