Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling statue to go on the parrade

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

LOL, 'Modern are nonsense'

Anyway, not a fan of hurling but i think it is a great idea that KK has a monument to the sport and KK's success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Will look completely out of place wherever they put it on the Parade, outside Nowlan Park would be the only suitable place for it. Too modern looking, dull and lacks any subtlety at all, just naff. It just reminds me of

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZ7iXQwv5wlwzd8nIar2080DeiUxDWbQedalfUYuae5C1vn2QKpw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Scallions across the border look on in envy. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Too modern looking, dull and lacks any subtlety at all, just naff
    As opposed to other statues, the concept of which is a modern invention, explode with more colour than Joseph's dreamcoat, and blend in with their environment? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Too modern looking, dull and lacks any subtlety at all, just naff.
    So basically you have already decided you dislike the statue based solely on a poor quality pixelated photograph of a preliminary model of a proposed design which will be sited in an as-of-yet undetermined location?

• Advertisement

Sky King wrote: »
    So basically you have already decided you dislike the statue based solely on a poor quality pixelated photograph of a preliminary model of a proposed design which will be sited in an as-of-yet undetermined location?

The statue is going to be of 3 modern hurlers in action, the photo clearly shows that. The end result may well be excellent representations of those 3 modern hurlers in action, and yes, that on its own is enough to let me know I won't like it.

Hurling, and Kilkenny's success in the sport is historic, going back decades, this, to me, is an on the nose version of the modern team and is the type of statue that gets erected outside numerous sports stadiums throughout the world.

My opinion of it won't stop you and lots of other people enjoying it I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Indeed. But I am going to reserve judgement until I see it anyway!

Sky King wrote: »
    Indeed. But I am going to reserve judgement until I see it anyway!

Curse you and your sensibleness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Where exactly are they going to put in on the parade?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

It would certainly make you want to hurl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

It looks like an orgy (or is it a threesome):D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I don't like what I can make out. No room for youngsters and tourists to pose within the action.

I have a fondness for those statues that people can interact with. Why not have 3 separate but grouped ones. So one sitting on one of the benches or on the wall adjusting helmet/shoes, another one close by just about to send the ball down the field and another doing whatever else they do in hurling and maybe a couple of barefooted peasant boys looking on in awe. That way each statue could represent a different hurling era and make it a bit of fun.

Something like this pair having an argument in Dusseldorf: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3038/2471963094_9054a0c4fc_m.jpg

or these kids jumping into the river in Singapore: http://www.mountainsoftravelphotos.com/Singapore/2005-07%20Singapore/Singapore/slides/Singapore%2003%2004%20Sculpture%20First%20Generation.JPG

or these two sitting having a chat in Boston:
    http://ih2.redbubble.net/image.5986304.0794/lp,375x360,b,m,QSBRdWlldCBXb3JkIC0gSERS.jpg

Make them blend with landscape instead of just being a cliched piece dropped on the parade some place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

It will be handy for going behind it on a Saturday night if ya needed to take a p**s. Also I'm not a fan of grown men in shorts that look like hotpants at times. I mean WTF is that about :p

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

emeldc wrote: »
    It will be handy for going behind it on a Saturday night if ya needed to take a p**s.

The toilets on the parade obviously need better signage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I think it's a enlightened move to place homoerotic art on the parade.

Advertisement