Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to dublin from stockholm next week

Options
  • 27-02-2014 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I will be moving to dublin next week and I have a few questions. I'll be working at IBM Sales and Delivery Centre, IDA Ballycoolin Business Park,Blanchardstown Dublin 15. What are some cheap hostels or hotels that i can stay at close to the area for a week. And in which areas should I be looking for a room which are also close to the area and affordable. Will i be able to atleast survive on a salary of 22000 per year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Do you drive? Cos rents in Dublin are crazy at the minute, if you drive you might be better off looking in areas of Meath to commute in instead.
    Can't help on the hostels in the area I'm afraid.

Check Daft.ie for houseshares and rentals. Be prepared to be given a lot of runarounds by estate agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Cowboyy

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Do you drive? Cos rents in Dublin are crazy at the minute, if you drive you might be better off looking in areas of Meath to commute in instead.
    Can't help on the hostels in the area I'm afraid.

Check Daft.ie for houseshares and rentals. Be prepared to be given a lot of runarounds by estate agents.

I do have a driving license but I wont be buying a car not yet atleast. I wouldn't have problems travelling 40 minutes to work everday

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

It's all about how you intend to get to work.
    As far as I know the only real options you have are cycling or going by bus.

Check this link to find out what buses you can take. Be aware that the buses on these secondary routes may not be very frequent.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/RTPI/Sources-of-Real-Time-Information/?searchtype=map&searchquery=

Using that and Googlemaps, you will know how far you can cycle, or where you need to live to be able to take the bus in the morning.

Oink wrote: »
    It's all about how you intend to get to work.
    As far as I know the only real options you have are cycling or going by bus.

Check this link to find out what buses you can take. Be aware that the buses on these secondary routes may not be very frequent.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/RTPI/Sources-of-Real-Time-Information/?searchtype=map&searchquery=

Using that and Googlemaps, you will know how far you can cycle, or where you need to live to be able to take the bus in the morning.

Thanks i will have a look. I don't have a problem with taking a bus to work as long as i don't have to travel for too long. As I said before as long as I can take myself to work in 40 minutes that's fine. I want to pay as low rent as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Tyrellstown or Blanchardstown are probably the best places for you to rent. I've just had a quick look on daft and this ad looked appropriate for you (I've no connection to the place).

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=755543#

For your first week, most hostels are in the city centre, so pick one that's close to the 40D bus route. Check your public transport options here www.a-b.ie

• Advertisement

Tyrellstown or Blanchardstown are probably the best places for you to rent. I've just had a quick look on daft and this ad looked appropriate for you (I've no connection to the place).

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=755543#

For your first week, most hostels are in the city centre, so pick one that's close to the 40D bus route. Check your public transport options here www.a-b.ie

thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

how about the Mountjoy Street Hostel ? you could get the 38a to Damastown ( i think thats near Ballycoolin but not to sure) or walk to Dorset St for the 40d

You could also check do IBM do an employee bus service like Paypal do

snowey07 wrote: »
    how about the Mountjoy Street Hostel ? you could get the 38a to Damastown ( i think thats near Ballycoolin but not to sure) or walk to Dorset St for the 40d

You could also check do IBM do an employee bus service like Paypal do

thanks ill have a look at the hostel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

You are lucky the job is out in Blanch. You will have less trouble getting somewhere to live than you would for a city centre. job.

Why not look for lodgings in Cabra or the Navan Rd area? They are still cheaper than many other areas and handy for both work and the city.

You are lucky the job is out in Blanch. You will have less trouble getting somewhere to live than you would for a city centre. job.

Why not look for lodgings in Cabra or the Navan Rd area? They are still cheaper than many other areas and handy for both work and the city.

thanks ill have a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 inz

I used to live in blanchardstown and work in Ballycoolin, I'd recommend looking at trying to find something in blanchardstown village, castleknock village, or somewhere not too far from blanchardstown shopping centre.

There'll be the 38 going through castleknock and blanchardstown village, but if you want to be at work at 9 or later, you're going to have to walk from the aquatic centre as it stops going all the way to ballycoolin at some point.

If you find somewhere close to the shopping centre, there's the 236 which I think goes fairly regularly.

If you want to be within walking distance of the office and walking distance of the shopping centre, there's also waterville where there are a lot of new flats.

Hope any of that helps :)

inz wrote: »
    I used to live in blanchardstown and work in Ballycoolin, I'd recommend looking at trying to find something in blanchardstown village, castleknock village, or somewhere not too far from blanchardstown shopping centre.

There'll be the 38 going through castleknock and blanchardstown village, but if you want to be at work at 9 or later, you're going to have to walk from the aquatic centre as it stops going all the way to ballycoolin at some point.

If you find somewhere close to the shopping centre, there's the 236 which I think goes fairly regularly.

If you want to be within walking distance of the office and walking distance of the shopping centre, there's also waterville where there are a lot of new flats.

Hope any of that helps :)
    Your info is great help thanks :D

Anymore suggestions for hostel/hotels? The hostel's i mentioned in the thread cant provide accommodation for the dates i want.

Does the last bus still go early during weekends nights to tyrellstown? or has that changed? found a couple rooms there but I dont want to be trapped in a place where the last bus from town to tyrellstown goes early on weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Cowboyy wrote: »
    Anymore suggestions for hostel/hotels? The hostel's i mentioned in the thread cant provide accommodation for the dates i want.

The Generator in Smithfield is a nice, centrally located and cheap hostel.

http://generatorhostels.com/en/destinations/dublin/

Advertisement