Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crufts 2014

• 27-02-2014 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone heading this year? Wife and I are going from Thursday to Saturday.

Looking forward to seeing lots of Flyball if nothing else.

Anyone who has been before, is it easy to get from the NEC to Birmingham City Centre?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I'm going on the friday. Not showing this year but my friend is on the Friday.

I'm not sure about going to the city, never done that myself.

Hope you are bringing loads of money!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Our hotel is in the city.

Is it expensive there ya? I am guessing eating in NEC will be very dear anyway.

Ah I just mean for buying stuff. There is so much to buy you won't know where to look.
    It's a great experience if you haven't been before. It's not mad expensive in general.
    I'm sure there are buses going into the city as it's part of the airport really so can't see it being too hard to get there. Loads of taxis as well but I don't know how far it is so it could be dear in a taxi.

There are 5 massive halls to look around, it's divided out so all the breeds are split amongst the 5 halls with stands in all of them.
    The fly ball is in the main big arena which is over beside hall 1 so make sure you wear comfy clothes and footwear as you will be walking all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's a train station, Birmingham International, at the NEC / Airport with links to the city centre so no problems there.

Oh forgot about the train station. Yeah its so easy to get around the NEC and to the airport etc. You literally dont even have to leave the building to go to the airport either. A little shuttle tram thingy brings you down to the NEC, its great, only takes a min or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Oh how I would love to head over!! Are channel 4 showing it again this year? I've been watching the Superstar Dogs thing that's a lead up to crufts, tis brilliant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I presume somewhere will be showing it... And hopefully Clare balding wil be hosting again, I love her!!!

Yep, seemingly its getting more coverage this year so thats good. Also, it can be watched online as well, the flyball, agility etc.

Its going to be on More4 thursday night for over 3 hours,More4 Friday for and hour, and then Channel 4 on Saturday for 2 hours and Sunday for 2 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I'm heading with my daughter next Thursday. Really looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

They usually show it live in the crufts YouTube channel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Just catching up on today's crufts- watching the more 4 coverage that I started recording earlier. Anyone know is Lisa Tarbuck doing the whole week or is Clare Balding back at any stage?

Rottie won the group!! Robert and Brandon did great. I know them myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Just catching up on today's crufts- watching the more 4 coverage that I started recording earlier. Anyone know is Lisa Tarbuck doing the whole week or is Clare Balding back at any stage?

Clare is back tomorrow, co-presenting with Liza, and then seems to be assuming the lead role again for Sunday. She must've been booked up for today! Although I wonder are they grooming Liza for the future? Clare's a great character, the show just wouldn't be the same without her!

andreac wrote: »
    Rottie won the group!! Robert and Brandon did great. I know them myself.

Wah! Spoiler alert! That class is only being shown on d'telly now! :o

The Siberian husky on more 4 at the moment looks so tiny! My boyfriends sib husky looks huge in comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

SingItOut wrote: »
    The Siberian husky on more 4 at the moment looks so tiny! My boyfriends sib husky looks huge in comparison

Huskies are not a very big breed at all.

Says me from my hotel in Birmingham. Heading to the NEC in the morning. For shopping though. Not showing!

DBB wrote: »
    Wah! Spoiler alert! That class is only being shown on d'telly now! :o

Oh crap sorry. I watched it on you tube as I'm in the airport waiting to go over to crufts. I presumed it was on tv too.

Knine wrote: »
    Huskies are not a very big breed at all.

Says me from my hotel in Birmingham. Heading to the NEC in the morning. For shopping though. Not showing!

I'm quite short maybe that's why remi (bfs husky) appears bigger haha enjoy the show! I'd love to go over some year. I won tickets about two years ago but my passport was expired :(

Knine wrote: »

Says me from my hotel in Birmingham. Heading to the NEC in the morning. For shopping though.

Harumph... This is the geographical version of name-dropping.

:-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Anyone have any predictions on the winner? I'm thinking the standard poodle :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I thought the newfie was going to get the working group, he was lovely. The rottie was gorgeous too though. Did anybody else think the doberman was a bit chunky?

Some of the dogs here are watching it, so it can get noisy! Coco, in particular always watches dogs on TV and always barks at the flyball and agility - when the dogs are on the run, so the rest of the dogs start barking anyway:o. There's a pair of collies watching it intently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

SingItOut wrote: »

If only you knew how controversial that is. The Sibe judge this year is from Norway, and is known for his working lines dogs, so a lot of people with the smaller, show style sibes didn't enter. The dog that won BOB is a lovely dog, but is tall for a sibe, within standard, but definitely a working dog, so very ironic that you think he was tiny. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Watching it on more4 +1, really enjoying it, I'd love to go over some year. The newfoundland was HUGE, looked like a big fluffy teddy bear :D The st bernard looked like an average sized lab in comparison :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I see that banana-backed German Shepherd's being shown again. I think it's a disgrace.

I see that banana-backed German Shepherd's being shown again. I think it's a disgrace.

Every time I see that dog, I die a bit inside. No harm to the poor dog himself, but as long as mutant dogs like him win BoB, and get 3rd place in the group, the breed is fecked. It makes me so, so sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,446 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Every time I see that dog, I die a bit inside. No harm to the poor dog himself, but as long as mutant dogs like him win BoB, and get 3rd place in the group, the breed is fecked. It makes me so, so sad.

I didn't see the breed judging, only the group - were there any straight-backed shepherds shown, or all the dropped-back ones?

(I'm not well up on showing, maybe there never are. GS are my favourite breed of all, shame to see them being so mutated)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I didn't see the breed judging, only the group - were there any straight-backed shepherds shown, or all the dropped-back ones?

(I'm not well up on showing, maybe there never are. GS are my favourite breed of all, shame to see them being so mutated)

Only saw the group too, but my guess is that straight-backed sheps just don't get shown... What's the point, if Elmo is considered to be the best example of the breed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,446 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Only saw the group too, but my guess is that straight-backed sheps just don't get shown... What's the point, if Elmo is considered to be the best example of the breed?
    Yeah, when you put it like that.... how depressing.

What was the other white mountain of fur in the group? Not the Pyrrenean (Pyrennean? how in hell do you spell that?) or the one with dreadlocks - was stood two over from Pyr. when she was making her final 10 selection. Gorgeous animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Not bad so far. There was a nice Neo on it at the start. Some other nice LSG breeds too which is quite unusual for Cruffs to show.

Advertisement