Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crufts 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Devastated the labrador didn't get through :( but I'm hoping James will win but it will most likely be Ricky that wins I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I dunno about the american cocker spaniel, nothing against that particular one and that it's the breed standard but the head looks too small for the body. I know the show cut probably accentuates the body size, but that head just looks so squashed, a bit reminiscent of the cavalier king charles spaniel that does have issues with too small a skull. Maybe it's just me though.

No, you're not the only one, a few of my friends have said the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Shouting here for Dan the Man. He is such a fabulous Samoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

muddypaws wrote: »
    No, you're not the only one, a few of my friends have said the same thing.

Was it ever considered a high profile breed? I really don't know much about them at all. :o

Was it ever considered a high profile breed? I really don't know much about them at all. :o

I commented elsewhere that I don't like a dog groomed like that winning the Gun Dog, you know, a working group, and was informed that American Cockers weren't developed as a working breed. However, there are some now taking part in gun dog trials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Nope not a high profile breed & with a decent life span.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Look at that happy tail on the Rottie :D

The unfortunate thing is, which breed wins does tend to become high profile. Would love to see Dan the man win, for obvious reasons, but I think the poodle will probably get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

In fairness it is really a lovely line up.

The Rottweiler is fabulous looking as is the Irish Wolfhound. I definitely prefer the bigger dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I'd love to see the wolfhound win but the rottie and sammy (can't spell ;) ).are lovely. Though I think the fox terrier will win - edit to add the pom has such a big personality for a toy dog.

Out of the final 7, I think Dan the Samoyed is showing the best.

Colin is such a cutie. Not keen on the poodle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Yesssss now I don't have to cook dinner tomorrow!! :D

Delighted to see dan get the reserve :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

who won ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Sorry, it must be just me but I think the Poodle is mental looking. I would be morto being seen with a dog groomed like that. Lol.
    Loved the Wolfhound and really wanted him to win it.

Delighted Dan the Man got reserve best in show but I seriously don't understand the love for the poodle.

That poodle did not look comfortable with his handler at all, and I don't like the way he slapped his nose. There is an official complaint going in about how he was treated after the group judging by a member of the public.

As opposed to Dan the Man, so chilled out and happy looking.

muddypaws wrote: »
    That poodle did not look comfortable with his handler at all, and I don't like the way he slapped his nose. There is an official complaint going in about how he was treated after the group judging by a member of the public.

As opposed to Dan the Man, so chilled out and happy looking.

When he was being shown the slip lead was tight around the front of his neck and it almost looked like the whites of his eyes were bulging out, his head was bobbing about as well - not a good look. Whereas I though Dan the Man looked so happy trotting round and really put on a great show.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

When he was being shown the slip lead was tight around the front of his neck and it almost looked like the whites of his eyes were bulging out, his head was bobbing about as well - not a good look.

I raised an eyebrow when he did the bow-down just before being trotted up and down. My eyebrow raised even further when he did it again... It's a posture that suggests abdominal or spinal pain.
    I had not heard there was an official complaint in... Muddypaws do you know what the nature of the complaint was?
    The Irish Wolfhound didn't show too well either. He just looked tired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Colin was robbed.

ROBBED!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

salmocab wrote: »
    who won ?
    A poodle you would only see in LA.
    It makes the whole show look bad IMO.
    None of the other 6 would make you go wtf have they done to that dog if seen on the street.
    It was just a dog with a odd hear cut.

Crufts=dogs that LOOK GOOD not good dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Colin was robbed.

ROBBED!!!

I think Colin believed he won lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The owner of the Poodle is American, isn't he? I saw an interview with Clare Balding, the owner and the breeder, and while the breeder seemed a decent chap, the owner came across as bit of a ****. The way the dog was groomed was way over the top as well IMO.

DBB wrote: »
    I raised an eyebrow when he did the bow-down just before being trotted up and down. My eyebrow raised even further when he did it again... It's a posture that suggests abdominal or spinal pain.
    I had not heard there was an official complaint in... Muddypaws do you know what the nature of the complaint was?

Jessica Holm played it down a bit by saying he was stretching, I thought he was trying to back out of the lead!
    I'm going to watch it again on +1. When you're sitting there watching it on your own, you don't know whether you're imagining it, or just picking things up wrong. I'll be paying more heed watching it again.
    Poor James did look knackered!

Dodd wrote: »
    None of the other 6 would make you go wtf have they done to that dog if seen on the street.

Y'know the hair grows back, the poodle show cut is reminiscent of when they were actually working. Personally it does look a bit insane but at least it's not as bad as in the US where ear cropping is still allowed and everything from dobermans to Great Danes are barbarically cropped.

DBB wrote: »

A couple of members of the public have said that they saw him being led from the ring by his nose, the handler had his hand around the dog's nose and was pulling him through the crowd like that, no lead.

Shame the Samoyed didn't get it, he just looked so happy and relaxed.

Dodd wrote: »

I think the grooming was over the top, especially the top knot, but poodles are clipped like that as that was how they were clipped when they worked. The coat was clipped to allow them to move through the water more easily, but parts of it were left long to protect vital organs etc in the cold water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

anniehoo wrote: »
    Great to see all the Gundogs with full tails too :)

Anyone watch the Gundog group? The Vizla did have a 1/4 docked tail...but did anyone notice any of the others? I need to rewatch but it didn't look like it to me but open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

anniehoo wrote: »
    Anyone watch the Gundog group? The Vizla did have a 1/4 docked tail...but did anyone notice any of the others? I need to rewatch but it didn't look like it to me but open to correction.

She's a 7 year old dog, so was docked prior to the cut-off. Dogs docked before the cut-off date (can't remember when it was... 5? 6 years ago?) can still be shown.

Advertisement