Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crufts 2014

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Not that expensive, considering. About twenty euro for a day ticket and the halls are open from 8am to 7pm-ish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Dodd wrote: »
    I don't post much anywhere but you seem to thing you own this forum.
    I check this forum many times a day and you come across like
    You want make sure you get the your word in no mater what it is

You go hip score.heart ect x ray

You come across to me as someone that makes money from dogs that have ?

Dodd, give it a rest.
    You don't have to agree with each other, but you do have to be respectful of one another.
    Attack the post, not the poster.
    If you have a legitimate concern about a post, report it. But do not take matters into your own hands as you have here, again.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Sorry to interrupt the discussion, I was just wondering how much are tickets to go to crufts? Myself and my mam are going to head over for the weekend next year hopefully :) (her suggestion not mine, I've finally converted her into a show person. She wants to compare cat shows to dog shows :P)

Book your accommodation now though.;)

And if you want accommodation within walking distance of the NEC, start saving now, lol! Room rates at the airport (NEC is right by the airport) are always massively inflated during Crufts and the B&Bs within taxi-driving distance sell out v. early. If you want to splurge, book a room at the Hilton at the NEC - a lot of the exhibitors stay there with their pooches and you'll see the winning handlers/owners celebrating in the lounge and some of the Friends for Life entrants there too. :)

But Birmingham city centre is only fifteen minutes on the train, which runs direct to the NEC! Look at the Etap or Ibis. Basic (no telly in the room for example) but very clean and comfortable. You'll be spending minimal time at your hotel anyways, other than to drop off your Crufts shopping and crash after a long day at the show!

It is like Disneyland for dog lovers SMX, great idea to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Oh wow that is quite cheap considering what it is. Good thing I got a job, ill start putting away money every week for accommodation :D I really hope we manage to go, would love to see it live! Would it cost extra to get into things like the BIS ring or to see the heel work to music?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

boomerang wrote: »
    Personally I was glad the Wolfhound didn't win. They are a recent creation, a hodge-podge of breeds combined to resemble the wolfhounds of legend - the breed was long extinct. I would never applaud breeding a dog whose life is so short and troubled by so many hereditary diseases. Look at the Borzoi, who were traditionally bred as wolfhounds. Not as heavily set, and have probably twice the expected lifespan.

Any info on this boomerang? I genuinely thought he was a fantastic rep of the breed, sturdy and solid. I will admit I don't know anything about their history so will be gladly enlightened.

The only thing you need a ticket for in addition to your daily entrance ticket is Best In Show on the Sunday evening. Well worth getting a ticket for that as it's a lovely way to end your Crufts experience, with all the main arena razzmatazz. :)

Start putting money aside for shopping, because I could imagine nothing worse than being at Crufts without enough pocket money to spend on the shopping - and boy is there shopping! I always brought a few hundred euro spending money with me just for shopping and eating in the hotel but then it was my big splurge of the year - I don't do sun holidays!

Expect food at the NEC to be pricey as well.

How the Irish Wolfhound type was recreated, beginning in the 19th century: http://www.irishwolfhoundtimes.com/glenhist.htm

Discussion of hereditary disease in the Irish Wolfhound - DCM and osteosarcoma are both very prevalent: http://www.iwhealthgroup.co.uk/home.html

Small genetic genepool: http://www.irishwolfhoundsociety.co.uk/breedhistory.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Did anyone see the woman and her dog who were going to compete in the heelwork to music competition but decided to withdraw as her dog appeared to nervous? I think that was a good example (although sad to see for the woman and her dog) of how dog owners at shows put their dog first.

My granduncle came up to our house today for his birthday, normally it's very hard to keep conversation going with him cos he's 93, but I stuck on the recording of crufts and it's keeping him very entertained :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

My granduncle came up to our house today for his birthday, normally it's very hard to keep conversation going with him cos he's 93, but I stuck on the recording of crufts and it's keeping him very entertained :D

Dogs- bringing everyone together since... always! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Crufts really is a must for any dog lover. If i had have known years ago how easily accessible it is, i wouldnt have waited so long to go to it.

The flight is around 45 mins to Birmingham, then you dont even leave the airport to go to the NEC, theres a little shuttle tram thing that takes you there in less than a minute and brings you right into the NEC complex. Its a short walk down to the main entrance in then, all within the one building.

I got my flight this year for 19.98 return!! That was with Ryanair and not checking in a bag. I wasnt showing this year. Unless you plan on buying loads of stuff like beds, shampoo etc then i recommend flying over.

If you do want to stay over then several of the travelodges are only 2/3 miles down the road. The one i stayed in was less than 10pounds in a taxi. There are closer ones but they are a little bit dearer. If you book way in advance you will get a travelodge for around £30 a night. The one we stayed in has a bar, Toby carvery but there are restaurants across the road if you want something different.

If anyone wants to know anymore, just shout :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Wow so you could potentially even go over for the day and fly home that evening!! I'd spend a fortune thought lol!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Easily tk123, it's something I have thought about doing.

And what you save in hotel fees, you can spend in Crufts! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

andreac wrote: »
    Crufts really is a must for any dog lover. If i had have known years ago how easily accessible it is, i wouldnt have waited so long to go to it.

The flight is around 45 mins to Birmingham, then you dont even leave the airport to go to the NEC, theres a little shuttle tram thing that takes you there in less than a minute and brings you right into the NEC complex. Its a short walk down to the main entrance in then, all within the one building.

I got my flight this year for 19.98 return!! That was with Ryanair and not checking in a bag. I wasnt showing this year. Unless you plan on buying loads of stuff like beds, shampoo etc then i recommend flying over.

If you do want to stay over then several of the travelodges are only 2/3 miles down the road. The one i stayed in was less than 10pounds in a taxi. There are closer ones but they are a little bit dearer. If you book way in advance you will get a travelodge for around £30 a night. The one we stayed in has a bar, Toby carvery but there are restaurants across the road if you want something different.

If anyone wants to know anymore, just shout :-)

Friends of mine had to pay £7.50 a night to park at the Travelodge this year, never come across that before.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Friends of mine had to pay £7.50 a night to park at the Travelodge this year, never come across that before.

Wonder which one it was? The Sheldon one is free. Thats where we stayed. Only 5 mins, not even actually, in the car there.

tk123 wrote: »
    Wow so you could potentially even go over for the day and fly home that evening!! I'd spend a fortune thought lol!! :p

Yep, thats how i did it the first 2 years i went. Got first flight over, around 7am, then back that night around 8/8.30pm.

Id recommend going 2 days though if you want to watch stuff, ie showing, agility etc, as its so big, you are better off spending a day shopping and a day watching stuff, but you can def do it in a day, loads do, as its so near to the airport, you arent spending time getting to and from the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I'd say after our experience att he weekend we will look at it again next year.

We stayed in Birmingham City which was £7.20 return by train. The hotel we stayed in was awful - Copthorne hotel, so avoid that if anyone sees it.

Our experience was a lot better on the Thursday than saturday, simply because it was jammed beyond belief Saturday and was quite uncomfortable, while on Thursday you could come and go between areas without any issues worrying about seats, or having to queue to get into the main arena.

Anyone who is considering it, bring your own sandwiches in with you if you do not want to pay top dollar for poor food inside.

And wear comfortable runners or whatever.

Flights out of Cork are dead handy as you arrive at 8.30 and leave again at 5pm, so it is very possible to do a 1 day hit and run.

Yeah deffo try go the Thurs or Friday. I was in all day Friday as my friend was showing, and it was so easy to get around. I had to go back in on Saturday to sort a few bits and it was mental. Couldnt wait to get out of there.

Crowds don't suit me at all so the Thursday/Friday sounds perfect for me! Is it easy enough to get around from where breed judging is on to like the flyball/agility?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

haha we'll be having a boards meetup at this rate! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Crowds don't suit me at all so the Thursday/Friday sounds perfect for me! Is it easy enough to get around from where breed judging is on to like the flyball/agility?
    The place is absolutely huge. But you will figure it all out quick enough. Or ask one of the program sellers.

tk123 wrote: »
    haha we'll be having a boards meetup at this rate! :D

It'll be like the pet expo all over again :P

Yup lots of people just go over for the day! I would strongly recommend paying the extra to check in a bag on the way home. I can't imagine being in Crufts and not being able to shop! Great deals on vet bed etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Or find somebody you know that is going over on the ferry and bung your shopping into their car:p

Much easier to get around on the Thursday or Friday, this is true. It's wedged on the Saturday. SMX there are five halls and the concourse is in the middle so it's very easy navigate your way around and there is no problem getting from one hall to another if you want to go see a demo - they are all interconnected. The main arena is at the far end of hall one so that's a little bit more of a walk alright but you'd still be in your seat in ten minutes from where anywhere else in the halls I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

boomerang wrote: »
    Yup lots of people just go over for the day! I would strongly recommend paying the extra to check in a bag on the way home. I can't imagine being in Crufts and not being able to shop! Great deals on vet bed etc.

And there is a locker room where you can leave your bag for a pound as it gets very heavy carrying it around 5 huge halls. Wheeled cases are great.

I always pay for a checked bag on the way back as I'm usually buying scissors & shampoos, chalk etc & it saves any awkward moments at security.

Advertisement