Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Communion dresses €24.99

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭metroburgers

FSM colanders on offer next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Woodpecker1

Thats a great idea in fairness.

Im sure there is many families really worrying about these events.

Good move. They have their market fairly well figured out for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Plenty of communion dress shops won't be happy about this. Delighted, they've been ripping people off for long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The whole communion "thing" is a rip off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What about the boys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Fair play to them

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

snubbleste wrote: »
    What about the boys?

Good deals on lifestylesports.com :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The awkward moment when the whole class of girls is wearing the same two dresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Problem is trying to get the missus to go for it. Won't even look in dunnes and the like. Sent her that link and she laughed at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭RayCon

Cue the competitive Pseudo Snobs ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

hfallada wrote: »
    The awkward moment when the whole class of girls is wearing the same two dresses.

How is that awkward, all the boys wear the same uniforms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I agree, a girl that age should be plenty pleased they got a nice dress at all. They are such conformists at that age, depending on the school, it's the rich ones who might be the odd ones out when the rest of the class has parents with sense. They look quite nice, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

They are very nice dresses, absolutely nothing wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭dinnyirwin

Plenty of communion dress shops won't be happy about this. Delighted, they've been ripping people off for long enough.

I went into one of those shops.
    She showed me some for €800.
    I said "for a communion dress, not a wedding dress".
    She then proceeded to show me other communion dresses and stressed "If you want to go CHEAP then our CHEAPEST is €250".

A lot of schools are doing the simple shawl kind of thing now, Stops parents having to feel like they have to compete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

Jet Black wrote: »
    Problem is trying to get the missus to go for it. Won't even look in dunnes and the like. Sent her that link and she laughed at me.

That's the thing, its not the kids, they don't care/know what there wearing, its the parents "keeping up with the Jones"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

newkie wrote: »
    I agree, a girl that age should be plenty pleased they got a nice dress at all. They are such conformists at that age, depending on the school, it's the rich ones who might be the odd ones out when the rest of the class has parents with sense. They look quite nice, in fairness.

IME, it is not the rich ones whose parents lack sense. The biggest spending is usually from the ones who can least afford it. Then they go whinging to the newspapers about how they were "forced" to go to a moneylender to finance the "big day".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

IME, it is not the rich ones whose parents lack sense. The biggest spending is usually from the ones who can least afford it. Then they go whinging to the newspapers about how they were "forced" to go to a moneylender to finance the "big day".

'Dey tuk away r comoonun grant Joe, dey forsed us te go te d munny lendrs'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

I think it should be mandatory to wear school uniforms for communication and confirmation. Less hassel for hard up families. I know some parents wont agree and want wee jonny and mary in the best of clobber and want to show off. Fook them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Accessorise ;)

brightkane wrote: »
    I think it should be mandatory to wear school uniforms for communication and confirmation. Less hassel for hard up families. I know some parents wont agree and want wee jonny and mary in the best of clobber and want to show off. Fook them!

Parents COULD decide to send their kids in the school uniform. There is no obligation to do the big dress up thing. If the majority did that, soon the minority would as well as their kids would not want to be the odd ones out.

Mind you, if there was no "big day" of dress up and party, I bet the vast majority of parents would decide not to bother with First Communion at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

To be fair tk maxx have had them on sale for under €30, think its a personal thing. Can get some lovely stuff out there for reasonable price if ye want to and go looking as opposed to going to "communion boutique"

Redpunto wrote: »
    To be fair tk maxx have had them on sale for under €30, think its a personal thing. Can get some lovely stuff out there for reasonable price if ye want to and go looking as opposed to going to "communion boutique"

Someone had a brainwave about the stupidity of parents when they came up with the idea of a communion boutique.

I think more to the point if FHC preparation was taken out of the schools and the parents had to do all the preparation work it would be very interesting to see how many kids would rock up on the day ?

I remember hearing a Teacher say first confession should be renamed last confession as kids are never taken by the parents again after FHC.

Indeed, it should be taken out of the schools. The main reason for the peer pressure is because the prep is in school. Most parents wouldn't take part if they had to haul the kids to prep outside schools, or make any kind of effort at all.

As for the kids, all they care about is the money they will get, and for the girls, being "princess for a day".

Awkward for whom? The Parents :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

My thoughts exactly.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Awkward for whom? The Parents :rolleyes:

You're not a girl, are you?

Red Nissan wrote: »
    You're not a girl, are you?

All this "communion" stuff is not about the children (or dare I say it, god/belief in catholic church, either) - it's always about the parents wanting their little Susie to look like she's getting married and to be individual, yet they are infact not a bit individual they are just like little sheep prancing up the aisle.

I'd say 75% of people putting their children forward for "communion" don't go to mass on a regular basis, hypocrites !

Suppose it's for another thread, though this thread's wheels fell off a couple of pages back.

How is that awkward, all the boys wear the same uniforms

It's a manly thing to wear the same stuff.

Great Bargain though OP, nice 1 but I'm out !!

• Advertisement

All this "communion" .

For another thread perhaps, I'm an atheist too, but it's about ALDI's cheap cloths for an occasion, be that the beach, night time, garden wear, work wear or religious service wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

All this "communion" stuff is not about the children (or dare I say it, god/belief in catholic church, either) - it's always about the parents wanting their little Susie to look like she's getting married and to be individual, yet they are infact not a bit individual they are just like little sheep prancing up the aisle.
    Absolutely - it's a complete farce. Zero point in wasting so much money on a dress/suit your child is going to grow out of within the year.

If you're so worried about the dress looking the same, it costs next to nothing to alter it a bit.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I've bought 5 already. Now I can order those midget brides I've always wanted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

We bought the Paul Costelloe ones in dunnes recently to be used as bridemaids dresses. Great quality for €55 notes. It was only whilst looking for these that we saw the joke prices some shops are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

tk max in cork have a few nice communion dresses for 25 and 45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I'd say 75% of people putting their children forward for "communion" don't go to mass on a regular basis, hypocrites !

Great, then let's separate the schools from the church and be done with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

We bought our eldest daughter her dress in TK Maxx last year, 29.99 and her younger sister will wear it this year. Mind you, it cost more to have it dry cleaned than it would have done to buy a new dress (in TK Maxx or Aldi anyway):rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Our local st vincent de paul shop has the most gorgeous brand new communion dresses for under 50 euro.
    They are probably last years left overs or samples so pretty though.
    I would nearly prefer they wore school uniforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Aldi looked at all the money spent on garth brooks tickets not one direction !:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Jet Black wrote: »

This here is the exact problem. The mammies and grannies etc are fueling this fascination with girls and appearance on what is typically a religious day. And we wonder why girls are so obsessed with weight and appearance, and then the same mammies will be blaming fashion magazines for the problem.

Sure the school where my daughter is making her communion use robes for the actual communion mass so a dress is not even seen. But do you think that will stop every single girl having a dress ready to go once the mass is over, fcuk no.

Don't tar us all with the same brush!:D

Most of my energy will be spent on convincing my youngest daughter that yes, she does have to wear a dress and not jeans and a jumper, but heck yes, she CAN take it off straight after the church if she wants.

Last year my other daughter couldn't wait to get into her dress and didn't want to take it off at all.

I was a complete tomboy myself as a child and my youngest takes after me that way, I don't know where my older girl gets it from, but she is much more into dresses etc. It's definitely not promoted in our house, I don't discourage it either- it's just a small part of a much bigger picture!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Similar to the "requirement" for fancy hand embroidered dresses for Irish dancing that makes the art an exclusivist reserve of the middle classes, I have seen the problems parents have with money when it comes to Holy Communion days. I used to work as a milkman years ago and was always skipped on payments on the week of the holy communions.

It will probably take society decades go get rid of this sartorial farce which is so unecessary to the act of receiving a religious sacrement in the first place.

Clergy and middle class merchants plotted to rip off gullible working class parents with spurious social obligations leading to over ornate and over elaborate churches, dresses and rituals which are not needed to partake of a religious experience. So much for the absence of materialism in Catholic religious practice.........

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TheHappyChappy

common sense & school uniforms would be my preference

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭jpb14

common sense & school uniforms would be my preference
    Agree 100% with this.
    Communion is about religion and not about all the dosh and bling.
    Kids are then singled out,slagged off and bullied by others if they dont have this that or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Guys,

Please discuss the bargain: value, quality and alternatives etc.

This is not a place to discuss School, Church, Religions etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Back on topic, it's a pity that stocks are limited as I can see these been sold out quite quickly, hopefully Aldi will envisage the demand and hold extra stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭froggie76

I bought "the dress" last summer for €35 it has a little bag and bolero with it. I got shoes and socks in dunnes for €18.50, her aunt is getting her an umbrella as a gift. She has mentioned that she would like gloves so I might try Aldi for them, she doesn't like things in her hair so no need for a veil.She already has her christening candle and rosary beads.
    I really think if I hadnt bought that I would have bought off adverts, some lovely dresses up for sale with all the bits and pieces!

It's amazing how much the extras cost, like the bag, shoes, socks, gloves, veil etc. I ended up buying a few things from ebay last year. I had a shock when I went into a communion shop to look for a veil and they wanted almost 50 for the most basic one! That would have been more than the dress. Guineys tend to have things like gloves, socks etc quite reasonably. Again I went into Debenhams to look last year and a pair of white socks were 20! There's definitely value on ebay but one thing I couldn't buy online were the shoes as really you do have to try them on. Ended up getting them in Monsoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Beautiful dresses. I can see them being gone by lunchtime. Though accessories can cost a pretty penny, the dress is always the biggest stress for parents. Fair dues to Aldi, Lidl usually has the same offers either a week before or later, so fingers crossed they'll have some more for people soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its an option for those on low incomes.

I remember going to a communion a few years back and some kids were being dropped at the church by a pink playboy hummer.

Yes they were kids from the traveling community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

mikeym wrote: »
    Its an option for those on low incomes.

Not really.

It's an option for people with active brains in their skulls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement