Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Communion dresses €24.99

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

dockleaf wrote: »
    It's amazing how much the extras cost, like the bag, shoes, socks, gloves, veil etc. I ended up buying a few things from ebay last year. I had a shock when I went into a communion shop to look for a veil and they wanted almost 50 for the most basic one! That would have been more than the dress. Guineys tend to have things like gloves, socks etc quite reasonably. Again I went into Debenhams to look last year and a pair of white socks were 20! There's definitely value on ebay but one thing I couldn't buy online were the shoes as really you do have to try them on. Ended up getting them in Monsoon.
    You should shop in Co Limerick. The essentials are obviously cheaper there.I was stuck in traffic in Adare last year as the kids were leaving the church with their mums (no men in sight). Mums and kids had orange skin, girls had enormous dresses and mums were in high heels, high skirts and low tops. They loaded into a small convoy of white HumVees. I assumed they were going to a local shrine to pray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

Plenty of bling bling communion dresses for sale on Donedeal if you have the urge.:D

I'd say co.limerick has some of the most expensive communion dresses and accessories in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kila2008

I think that Communion is like any other occasion, you can decide to spend as much or as little as you want on it. Its all up to the individual person and nobody should feel any pressure to keep up with what other people are doing.

I think its great that Aldi are offering more affordable options for parents as its only for one day. I was lucky with my DD, she's didn't want any 'fussy detail' so opted for a reasonably priced, simple dress. I remember bringing her into a local bridal shop just to see what they had and she immediately asked to leave, telling me that all the dresses were too fussy.

Once she found her 'simple' dress, she wanted to know if she would be allowed to sell it on Ebay afterwards and keep whatever she got for it :)

I remember seeing dresses reduced in TK Maxx the year of my daughter's communion but after the 'Communion season' with a few dresses down to €13 and they were perfectly nice dresses. If her communion had been the following year, I would definitely have bought and stored it in the wardrobe for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭lashofeye

My friend spent €500 on a dress !!!!!!!! Why would you do this ??? Insane is all I can say its a communion not a pageant but that's how people treat occasions now can I do better than so and so . Life's too short to blend in !!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭lashofeye

P.s saw the dresses in aldi yesterday and they are stunning .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

I checked the first day they were on sale, and no one seemed interested in them, I had thought they would be cleared out early in the morning, great value imo and everyone saying they are great but still people holding back...still loads available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭djburchgrove

Soon enough they'll all be doing their communions online through Skype with virtual priests and printable communion bread, which will taste slightly better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

There's still a good lot of these left in every aldi I go into, I think people are worried that some other girl would turn up in the same dress or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The dresses are stunning... my daughter is only in Junior Infants so I wouldn't buy one just yet but if it was next year I'd jump on one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

phasers wrote: »
    There's still a good lot of these left in every aldi I go into, I think people are worried that some other girl would turn up in the same dress or something.

Yes shocked to see plenty left in my local Aldi this morning (I'm in Dublin 15!). They are beautiful dresses. If I knew what size my 4 year old would be in 4 years time I'd buy one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 santry

I have communion next year so bought one and put it away. Tried it on my daughter and obviously it is too big but she thought it was absolutely gorgeous and can't wait to wear it !!!! Even bought one of the headpieces so just need shoes and we are all set - happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Agreed if my I knew how my now 4 year old would grow I'd buy one too and put it away. I suppose for the money you could take a punt on it. Or even get both sizes lol. Very tempting

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Bet they will only sell them to well off people, poor people always spend the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

mcko wrote: »
    Bet they will only sell them to well off people, poor people always spend the most.

Strangely true in general, reason being I think is rich people provide stuff for their kids all year like a few holidays, weekends away, toys etc etc but poorer people focus mainly on the main events and go all out

And some poorer people spend more than they can afford, getting themselves into debt in the process. Just like at Christmas time. People with more money seem to have a bit more sense and taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

Its not so much sense but poorer people need to impress their friends and family more. My kids made a communion and a confer last year and I was shocked at the amount of money people were spending. I got a cheap dress for my daughter and was shocked when the woman who sold it to us asked what school we were from as she only sells one dress to each school. We could not believe that people would care, but their you are.

A bit off topic, but I feel it is time to stop making the communions in school, if people are interested they should have to attend a weekly class in their local church and make it that way. Most kids don't go to church from one end of the year to the next, my own included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

A bit off topic, but I feel it is time to stop making the communions in school, if people are interested they should have to attend a weekly class in their local church and make it that way. Most kids don't go to church from one end of the year to the next, my own included.

Already pretty much in hand. We are transitioning to exactly that, and priests are also saying they may deny the sacrament to non church goers. There is another thread on this exact subject somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mrs CCC

The communion dresses are reduced to €12.49 and the gloves and bag set are €4.49 today.. Picked them up for next years big day.. Happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

I think they brought them out a bit late. Communions are less than a month away in many places so lots of people will have bought already. Fantastic value though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

They are lovely dresses, a great price. I overheard two ladies talking about them in my local Aldi last week:

"Sure you could buy a really expensive dress and there could still be another girl wearing the same one."

They had a point.

• Advertisement

Seemingly a lot of people who bought them did so for younger children, in the hope that they will have different ones in stock by the time they make their First Communion, and will therefore not be identifiable as the "Aldi dresses". According to the ladies in the school yard!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Reduced to €12.49 in Aldi Enniscorthy,not sure about other stores.

I ASKED A COUPLE of parents would you put your child in one of these dresses all said no

they would shell out even if they didn't have the cash

why like ? to keep up appearances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

I ASKED A COUPLE of parents would you put your child in one of these dresses all said no

they would shell out even if they didn't have the cash

why like ? to keep up appearances

I know - the thing is as well, it is supposed to a be a religious ceremony in any case !!!

It's all a desperate waste of money paying out hundreds for a once off and most people don't even go to mass anymore so the irony is unreal.

Unfortunately keeping up with the Joneses is an Irish obsession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

MammaZita wrote: »
    Seemingly a lot of people who bought them did so for younger children, in the hope that they will have different ones in stock by the time they make their First Communion, and will therefore not be identifiable as the "Aldi dresses". According to the ladies in the school yard!

Very clever. :)

Advertisement