Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipad/Tablet epos.

Options
  • 27-02-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Just about to startup a small new cafe business (20-25 covers) and was wondering if anybody out there is using an android or apple app to operate as an epos ? Cost of Till and credit card machine are quite high so someone must have broken into this market by now. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I only mentioned this in this forum yesterday, aipos have an android app from what I know and seem very good. I have a little experience with them but not much (as I was/am attempting sole trading!)

They dont seem to have (or didnt when I was looking) an app for iPhone/iPad, something to do with adobe air compatibility (the air in airpos comes from adobe air)

Anyhow, they seem to have very good plans and are a very inexpensive solution if you're only a small business. You can pay for only what you need kind of thing

Since I only posted about them in this forum yesterday, just like to point out that i'm no affiliated with them in any way. I'm not even a customer at the moment :)

http://www.airpointofsale.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I use getpose.com which runs on anything you can get Chrome on. Handy as we have windows comps in work but I mainly use Android mobile devices!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭killer007

Thanks for the info. I see that Airpos have customers in Ireland so I can do a bit more research by contacting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Genghis

Just dropped you a PM killer007. Might have an option for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Would you not just buy a cheap till? There is pretty cheap Chinese made ones available now. A credit card machine isnt 100% needed. Places like boojum in Dublin 1 don't have a credit card machine and get on fine. A credit card machine is also quite pricey and has merchant bank fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

A credit card machine doesn't have to have a merchant account any more thats pretty old school. If your average sale is <€10 then going out without card is unlikely to be a problem although if you don't have an ATM with a minutes walk then it might still pay to have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

you can pick up a second hand epos till for about €300 - try www.auctionxchange.ie - they had a couple of catering one last week. They can also give you invaluable information that cuts down on waste and ensures you have the right product

try Elavon for credit card machine - customers will want it and you will lose a fair bit of custom without one. Machines themselves are about €17/month + a minimum monthly fee of €30, (commission for a small operator will be about 1.5% and about 20c for debit).

Remember cash lodgement charges are 0.45% in the bank, so the extra charge for taking cards is about 1%.

Sorry to drag this up again but I thought a bit of feedback would be good.
    In the end I went with Airpos, been with them 2 weeks now and find it perfect for my small cafe. I am using a Galaxy Tab 3 with a bog standard cash drawer and an epson thermal printer.
    They even wrote a software update for me and uploaded it on google store because I seemed to have the one and only epson printer that would mot work with the Airpos software. The one mistake I made was to go with an usb printer instead of bluetooth. Tab has only one usb port so I have to make sure to charge tab by night when printer is not in use, other than that happy days. Staff need 5 mins training because of the simple setup.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Thanks for coming back with the update.

Something like this might help with the single USB port thing:

Dual Micro USB Host OTG Hub Adapter
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/191188916763?_trksid=p2048036

Thanks for that Graham, will look into that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement