Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strategies for dealing with ADD

Options
  • 27-02-2014 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭

Hi All. Welcome any input from people that have kids with ADD, or have kids that seriously struggle to concentrate/focus. I know lots of kids do, our 8 year old seems to struggle particularly badly in school and at home. Fantastic teacher though, he's really patient with him, and keeps in touch with us.

So looking for tips on how to help him get better at focusing on things. He is able to concentrate, he'd read for hours or play with lego for hours, gets completely absorbed. It's trying to move him from one thing to another is the issue, i.e. he gets so engrossed. He also goes off into dreamland a fair bit.

He's a lovely happy normal child, it's no big huge thing, but it will be hard for him as he gets older and has more stuff to do, more self organising etc. So would appreciate if people have suggestions for coping strategies, or anything that might make us better parents at helping him, or things he can be doing to help himself.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Hi, my son has ADHD and one thing that has really helped him is learning the piano. When he first started he'd lose focus after a few minutes, but now he happily sits through a half an hour lesson and practices with no issues at all. No hyper focusing either, just enjoying it - it has helped in so many areas, concentration, co-ordination, confidence...

Also, I get him to do chores that require a bit of organisation, make sure he is in charge of packing his homework up, getting his lunch box out etc and just endlessly remind him to do stuff rather than do it myself.

Advertisement