Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase in scam calls since I had a fault with my line

Options
  • 27-02-2014 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I had a fault with my phone line a few weeks back and have noticed a marked increase in scam calls - Microsoft Technical Support and alike.

Anyway, today I had another, but slightly different, one:
    • International Phone number: 004106928102
    • Indian voice claimed that he was from Eircom Technical support and that my computer was causing internet faults.
    • When I questioned whether he was really Eircom, he said I could confirm who he was by ringing 012544345, his employee number was EIR1098 and that his name was Steve Watson.
    [*]

Anyways, after stringing him along for a while I got bored and eventually hung up.

It is strange, though that the calls only restarted after about a year or so of no calls after I had my faulty line fixed. Do you advertise or sell this information to anyone?

Thanks,

Anthony

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

cregganna wrote: »
    I had a fault with my phone line a few weeks back and have noticed a marked increase in scam calls - Microsoft Technical Support and alike.

Anyway, today I had another, but slightly different, one:
    • International Phone number: 004106928102
    • Indian voice claimed that he was from Eircom Technical support and that my computer was causing internet faults.
    • When I questioned whether he was really Eircom, he said I could confirm who he was by ringing 012544345, his employee number was EIR1098 and that his name was Steve Watson.

[*]

Anyways, after stringing him along for a while I got bored and eventually hung up.

It is strange, though that the calls only restarted after about a year or so of no calls after I had my faulty line fixed. Do you advertise or sell this information to anyone?

Thanks,

Anthony
    [*]
    Hi Anthony
    I am afraid that number does not exist. We are aware of an increase of phone and online scams recently. It is very unlikely to have anything to do with fault having been fixed on your line. That information would not be made available to anyone.

Thanks for posting this, awareness of the issue and of these types of calls limits their effectivness.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ektich

I know this is not an eircom issue, but as google found this post I thought I'll add to this thread:
    I've received a call today from the same number (004106928102) claiming to be from Eircom support, speaking with Indian accent, and trying to convince me that I am having problems with my internet (I'm with UPC, on a cable modem). After I asked him how come he's ringing from Switzerland he hang up. I could hear  other conversations in the background: either he was ringing from a busy cafe or scammers have a call centre set up to work from, and it is organized business, and not just some guy operating from his bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

ektich wrote: »
    I know this is not an eircom issue, but as google found this post I thought I'll add to this thread:
    I've received a call today from the same number (004106928102) claiming to be from Eircom support, speaking with Indian accent, and trying to convince me that I am having problems with my internet (I'm with UPC, on a cable modem). After I asked him how come he's ringing from Switzerland he hang up. I could hear  other conversations in the background: either he was ringing from a busy cafe or scammers have a call centre set up to work from, and it is organized business, and not just some guy operating from his bedroom.
    Thanks for mentioning this here ektich

There does seem to be increased activity of this type and the callers are using a number of different companies names. At present the best way to deal with this is to just hang up but if you would like more information do feel free to contact the malicious calls bureau on 1800689689.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Got the same call just now.
    Indian
    Had my details.
    Tried to get me to enter the following

Windows + R

And type in a web address www.****.tk

LOL
    .tk for Eircom..!!

Told him go away and he was very very persistant in trying to explain that he understands about all the scams etc but to to assure me he was legit.
    I put the phone down and he rang back asking why I did.
    I told him I was not going ahead and put it down again.
    He rang me a third time.
    I told him to type in to his search box
    www.go****yourslef.tk

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 47 cregganna

vectra wrote: »

Hi Vectra,

Had you recently reported an eircom fault?

Anthony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

No.
    I got Fibre installed several months back and never had a problem with it.
    I am on Vodafone

vectra wrote: »
    Indian
    Had my details.
    Tried to get me to enter the following

Windows + R

And type in a web address www.****.tk

LOL
    .tk for Eircom..!!

Told him go away and he was very very persistant in trying to explain that he understands about all the scams etc but to to assure me he was legit.
    I put the phone down and he rang back asking why I did.
    I told him I was not going ahead and put it down again.
    He rang me a third time.
    I told him to type in to his search box
    www.go****yourslef.tk

LOL
    Hi vectra

That's creative :)

Although, If you ever want to contact the malicious calls bureau they can be contacted on 1800689689

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

I got a call from this number 0016313639897 , this morning saying they were from Eircom and my internet
    connection would be cut off for 6 to 7 months for illegal use of my connection.
    He said it was hacked. I told him to give me his number and I'd ring him back and he hung up.

H
    paulaa wrote: »
    I got a call from this number 0016313639897 , this morning saying they were from Eircom and my internet
    connection would be cut off for 6 to 7 months for illegal use of my connection.
    He said it was hacked. I told him to give me his number and I'd ring him back and he hung up.

Hi paulaa

You were right to be suspicious, these calls are of a scamful nature and should be hung up on instantly - the malicious calls bureau can be contacted on 1800689689 if you want any further details on this.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

Thanks Alan. I had loads of the Microsoft scam calls too. I guess people were getting wise to those so they've now moved on to using Eircom.

• Advertisement

paulaa wrote: »
    Thanks Alan. I had loads of the Microsoft scam calls too. I guess people were getting wise to those so they've now moved on to using Eircom.
    No worries paulaa

Al

Advertisement