Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coin bags

Options
  • 27-02-2014 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have just been informed today that BOI, a bank which I presume is there for banking purposes, will not accept my bagged and counted coins...'only on Tuesday morning and all day Friday' is that meant to make me feel better..... I have always banked here, I have always left my bagged coins in without problem....this is ridiculous. I walked 20mins on my lunch break to be told 'no'

I would like to know a valid reason for this...no one else in the queue at the time and I can see the weighing scales sitting on the counter...frustrating and ridiculous. You're a bank.

One last thing, if this information is on your website...I can't find it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi hogande,

Thank you for contacting us and welcome to Boards.ie

We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with our coin lodgement policy.

All of our branches now accept coin lodgements on Tuesdays from 10am until noon and all day Friday. The coin needs to be fully bagged and in the correct denominations.

This information is not on our website however, we will pass it on as a suggestion as we feel it would be of benefit to customers.

As always we appreciate our customer’s feedback and will ensure to pass your comments on to our Branch Network.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Why will the bank not accept coins?

Why will the bank not accept coins?
    Hi sillysmiles, 

Thanks for posting. 

You sent your query, just as I was responding to hogande. 
    All branches accept coins on Tuesdays from 10am until noon and all day Friday. 

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Hi  Billy, thanks for the  response but I think you missed my point. 

Why does a bank (an institution for handling money) only accept legal tender for 10 hours of the working week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Hi sillysmiles,[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Bank of Ireland introduced a new coin lodgement policy in October 2012, changing the way we accept cash/coin for certain customers. As Billy mentioned above [/font][font=Arial", "sans-serif]all of our branches now accept coin lodgements on Tuesdays from 10am until noon and all day Friday. The coin needs to be fully bagged and in the correct denominations.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Unfortunately we are not in a position to comment on Bank of Ireland policies via this forum however we will certainly pass on your feedback regarding this.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]If we can assist with anything else please do not hesitate to contact us.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Paula C[/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Twickers

Didn't realise this stupid policy until I tried Lodging €200 worth of bagged coins on Wednesday 30th May.
    Coins are legal tender & consequently no Bank should refuse to accept them.
    Have Banked with BOI for over 40 years & for the first time in my life, I blew a fuse with the unfortunate cashier.
    Despite being Bailed out by Joe Public, this just shows the continued arrogance of Banks towards their customers - they don't care about the ordinary customer & are only interested in you if you have a few hundred million Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

if it happens to me, i wont be leaving the bank cashiers window until its get accepted, no matter what time i go in at

it is just bull that coin can only be lodged at certain times

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Have to say this happened to me a few weeks ago too.

Went in on a Monday, queued up for 15 mins to be told by the cashier of the new policy. He apologised and told me about the before lunch on Tuesday/all day Friday.

Fair enough. Came back Tuesday at 11.50am. Got to the top of the queue at 12.20pm to be told by the (different) cashier that they only accepted up until midday. I explained that I had been in the queue for just over 30mins and that i had been told the day before that it was up till lunchtime anyway ( which I would have assumed was 1pm) but they refused again to take them.

I must admit I let a few expletives go as I walked away. Basically 2 hours of my working week wasted between getting there and back and standing around due to the branch only now having two cashier windows and it seems on average 15 people waiting non-stop.

Anyway, happy ending as I queued again on the Friday for 40 minutes and got my business done. Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

It is the most ridiculous policy!
    It only happened once to me and the cashier actually accepted my coins "just this once". Now I cash them or lodge them in AIB.

next thing you know the branches will have those machines you used to see (don't know if there are still any) in Spar shops etc that you dumped all your coin into and they would charge you 15%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

stevieob wrote: »
    next thing you know the branches will have those machines you used to see (don't know if there are still any) in Spar shops etc that you dumped all your coin into and they would charge you 15%

The last time I was in AIB, one of the staff members told me they were in talks about getting those machines in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

i have to admit that i dont understand why anyone would continue to use boi considering how they treat their customers. 

Please explain to me how a bank can refuse legal tender, and i dont mean "because we dont want to"  It's legal tender  and properly bagged so they are required to accept it as is.  

What recourse would I have if I needed to make a Coin Only Lodgment on a day if there were insufficient funds in my account to pay a Standing Order/Direct Debit ?
    You can be sure that BOI will raise a charge for going overdrawn to accept such a due payment or even refuse to process it.
    What would BOI's answer be to such a scenario ? I can guess :
    "We have a Policy, whether customer friendly or not and we are entitled to have a Policy whereby we can refuse to accept legal tender. We are not interested in Joe Public".
    Suppose next Policy on legal tender could be that cannot accept Notes under €50 in value except between 10-11am on only, e.g., Tuesdays
    Highly unlikely that BOI will respond to this. 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

ElleEm wrote: »
    The last time I was in AIB, one of the staff members told me they were in talks about getting those machines in!

Lot of mainland European banks have them but no charge and they just lodge straight away...great idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Dice75 wrote: »
    Have to say this happened to me a few weeks ago too.

Went in on a Monday, queued up for 15 mins to be told by the cashier of the new policy. He apologised and told me about the before lunch on Tuesday/all day Friday.

Fair enough. Came back Tuesday at 11.50am. Got to the top of the queue at 12.20pm to be told by the (different) cashier that they only accepted up until midday. I explained that I had been in the queue for just over 30mins and that i had been told the day before that it was up till lunchtime anyway ( which I would have assumed was 1pm) but they refused again to take them.

I must admit I let a few expletives go as I walked away. Basically 2 hours of my working week wasted between getting there and back and standing around due to the branch only now having two cashier windows and it seems on average 15 people waiting non-stop.

Anyway, happy ending as I queued again on the Friday for 40 minutes and got my business done. Indeed.
    Hi Dice75,

Thanks for taking the time to post this feedback. 

We are very sorry the difficulties you encountered with lodging coins into your account. We would very much like to investigate this further for you. 

If you would like to send us on a PM with the branch you were in and your name and we will be happy to forward on your feedback. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

Twickers wrote: »
    What recourse would I have if I needed to make a Coin Only Lodgment on a day if there were insufficient funds in my account to pay a Standing Order/Direct Debit ?
    You can be sure that BOI will raise a charge for going overdrawn to accept such a due payment or even refuse to process it.
    "We have a Policy, whether customer friendly or not and we are entitled to have a Policy whereby we can refuse to accept legal tender. We are not interested in Joe Public".
    Suppose next Policy on legal tender could be that cannot accept Notes under €50 in value except between 10-11am on only, e.g., Tuesdays
    Hi Twickers, 

Many thanks for your post. 

Direct Debts and Standing Orders generally leave an account, early in the morning so arriving in branch on the day that the instructions are scheduled to debit may not always be the best approach to this. When choosing a date that you wish a standing order/direct debit to leave an account, we would always advise that you select a date when your account will have sufficient funds. We have a mobile app available for customers to keep an eye on their account on the go. 

The majority of our branches accept coin from 10-12 on Tuesday and all day Friday. This is a policy that has been in practice since Sept 2013

We always appreciate feedback and will pass your comments to the branch network.

Thanks

Billy

Hi Twickers, 

Direct Debts and Standing Orders generally leave an account, early in the morning so arriving in branch on the day that the instructions are scheduled to debit may not always be the best approach to this. When choosing a date that you wish a standing order/direct debit to leave an account, we would always advise that you select a date when your account will have sufficient funds. We have a mobile app available for customers to keep an eye on their account on the go. 

The majority of our branches accept coin from 10-12 on Tuesday and all day Friday. This is a policy that has been in practice since Sept 2013

We always appreciate feedback and will pass your comments to the branch network.

Thanks

Billy
    doesn't really answer his question.

Scenario.......

Use app to keep an eye on account, knowing there will be a DD or SO hit on early on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday mornings.

Get out the jar of coin Monday evening, count it all up..... nice one €350, all bagged and good to lodge to make sure those DD's get paid

Hit the bank Tuesday 11:45

Queu for half an hour

Sorry, coin window is closed.... come back on Friday.

Bang, hit with Unpaid fees and bills don't get paid.... maybe even cut off.........

Not good enough from BOI.......... what is the difference in trying to lodge a €50 note and a bag of €2 coin?

Hi Twickers, 

Thanks

Billy
    You say that Policy introduced in September 2013 whereas Paula C (Post no 6) says Policy introduced in October 2012.
    Seems BOI are not aware of their own Policies.
    If a Cash Lodgement is made 5 minutes before closing time, the Lodgement is made that day and so the Bank cannot say there were insufficient funds to cover a DD or Standing Order. These should not be processed until after closing time - not early in the day 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

Hi Twickers,

Thanks for your post.

These changes were made in September 2013. As part of a new cash policy that was introduced; the coin lodgements policy was extended to our personal customers.

Resulting from this we have dedicated times for accepting coin lodgements.

From time to time it is necessary to make changes to our processes with a view to creating efficiency and to make routine day to day banking quicker and easier for our customers.

You should always ensure that you have sufficient funds in your account in advance to meet your commitments, such as direct debits, as they fall due.
    If you require any further assistance, please let us know.

Thanks

Nicola

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

If this was not on an official "talk to" forum I would refuse to believe that it was anything other than a piss take...
    Not sure how the reps can keep a straight face in their responses....
    Even their wording is funny..."all of our branches now accept coin lodgements on Tuesdays from 10am until noon and all day Friday", as if it's some sort of bonus added banking feature that there have introduced......
    Whereas the reality is more like "Our fiscal ineptitude has caused a serious recession. Our customers have very little money, they have been reduced to raiding their piggy banks and that back of their couches for loose change. We couldn't be arsed counting this small change, too much hassle dealing with customers and money, what are we, a retail bank (oh wait). So instead we go out of our way to disenfranchise them, but **** it, they probably won't leave, and to be honest we don't really care..."
    T'is mad Ted, mad!

• Advertisement

Hi Twickers,

Thanks for your post.

These changes were made in September 2013. As part of a new cash policy that was introduced; the coin lodgements policy was extended to our personal customers.

Resulting from this we have dedicated times for accepting coin lodgements.

From time to time it is necessary to make changes to our processes with a view to creating efficiency and to make routine day to day banking quicker and easier for our customers.

You should always ensure that you have sufficient funds in your account in advance to meet your commitments, such as direct debits, as they fall due.
    If you require any further assistance, please let us know.

Thanks

Nicola
    I'm sorry Nicola, but that is not an answer.  My point above, which nobody has bothered to answer yet, identifies where someone is trying to lodge money to ensure there is enough funds to meet DD's.............

As for the line I highlighted in bold, what about taking some of this advice and actually applying it to your business and treating your customers with respect and dignity.

I thought routine day to day banking would have incorporated making a lodgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Hi stevieob,

Thanks for your post. 

If you wished to lodge a bag of €2 coins outside of the coin lodgement hours, our colleagues in the branch network will be unable to process your request and will suggest that you return on a day when coin lodgements are accepted. The lodgement of a €50 note or a cheque is possible at any time at a Lodgement ATM. 

As mentioned by Nicola, you should always ensure that there are sufficient funds in your account when Direct Debits or Standing Orders are due to be presented. 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Hi stevieob,

Thanks for your post. 

If you wished to lodge a bag of €2 coins outside of the coin lodgement hours, our colleagues in the branch network will be unable to process your request and will suggest that you return on a day when coin lodgements are accepted. The lodgement of a €50 note or a cheque is possible at any time at a Lodgement ATM. 

As mentioned by Nicola, you should always ensure that there are sufficient funds in your account when Direct Debits or Standing Orders are due to be presented. 

Thanks,
    Sarah
    @ this point I'm actually genuinely embarrassed for ye :-), trying utterly unconvincingly, to defend and explain this madness.....you say...
    "As mentioned by Nicola, you should always ensure that there are sufficient funds in your account when Direct Debits or Standing Orders are due to be presented".... how about passing this message up to the decision makers....
    "As mentioned by every other post, it would be much easier for your customer to ensure there are sufficient funds in there account when DD or SO's are due, if you met them half way on this and allowed them to deposit money into their accounts when your bank branches are open"..
    you really have turned into a parody of what a retail bank should be....

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭northwestramble

As BOI Inc is now reducing services, it would stand to reason that they would also reduce banking fees rather than push them up. There are not many business who survive if they kept telling customers, we will charge you more and give you less. 

Up until recently it was always a hassle to change banks, and so that kept people tied to it and banks appear to have took advantage of this fact. Now with the 10 day changing guarantee in place, things are easier. I myself have moved some of my banking away from BOI as I disagreed with this policy of not taking certain type of money on certain days. 

"As mentioned by Nicola, you should always ensure that there are sufficient funds in your account when Direct Debits or Standing Orders are due to be presented. "

What? you mean like going to bank and lodging money, because you just said  you wont allow us to do so. It's still legal tender in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Skatedude wrote: »
    It's still legal tender in this country
    Strictly speaking, it's not. From the ECONOMIC AND MONETARY UNION ACT, 1998, section 10, Legal tender amounts of coins: "No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction."

Having said that, it's still a service that would be expected from a bank, and it's a poor bank that doesn't provide it. Of course, the only way to address it is to close your accounts and take your business elsewhere. It's pretty much the only thing BOI are likely to actually take notice of

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Skatedude wrote: »
    It's still legal tender in this country
    Strictly speaking, it's not. From the ECONOMIC AND MONETARY UNION ACT, 1998, section 10, Legal tender amounts of coins: "No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction."

Having said that, it's still a service that would be expected from a bank, and it's a poor bank that doesn't provide it. Of course, the only way to address it is to close your accounts and take your business elsewhere. It's pretty much the only thing BOI are likely to actually take notice of
    they have already said that they will not accept a bag of €2 coins.  that's 25 coins.  so does this mean they are breaking some kind of law?  wouldn't be the first time anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

they have already said that they will not accept a bag of €2 coins.  that's 25 coins.  so does this mean they are breaking some kind of law? wouldn't be the first time anyway!
    No, unfortunately. You only have to accept legal tender for a debt that already exists. If you owed the bank €100, they would have to accept 50 €2 coins as payment.

If you're simply looking to change a bag of coins to notes, they don't have to provide that service

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    they have already said that they will not accept a bag of €2 coins.  that's 25 coins.  so does this mean they are breaking some kind of law? wouldn't be the first time anyway!
    No, unfortunately. You only have to accept legal tender for a debt that already exists. If you owed the bank €100, they would have to accept 50 €2 coins as payment.

If you're simply looking to change a bag of coins to notes, they don't have to provide that service
    ah sure that's grand so.  I owe the banks 100's of thousands!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

But the majority of people are trying to lodge to their account to pay bills. isnt that a debt?

Advertisement