Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coin bags

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 niallon11

Its an absolute disgrace that the banks are starting to refuse to accept coins and edging out cash. Its all designed to increase the amount of people using cards as there are less handling cost and more charges. This is regardless of what their customers actually want or need but will increase their profits. Hardly a surprise though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

From time to time it is necessary to make changes to our processes with a view to creating efficiency and to make routine day to day banking quicker and easier for our customers.

Thanks

Nicola
    i am confused, if customers take time off work/lunch to go to a bank on a monday, have to go back tuesday, and again on a friday in attempt to lodge a bag of coins how is this creating efficiency and make routine day to day banking quicker and easier for them? surely changing of coins to notes is what you'd expect a bank to do, as part of day to day routine banking?

also with queue times of 30 minutes or more? i believe the longest i ever queued in your bank was 25 minutes and that was in BOI patrick street 10 years ago, (the busiest branch in cork city), so if anything your queue times are getting longer and relatives of mine who bank with you have been saying so,

it's a good thing i saw this thread because to be honest we switched from AIB to ptsb due to their charges, and we were going to try BOI as we will be looking to lodge significant sums in the future, to see which bank suits us best but after reading this i think we will just stick with PTSB, they at least offer us these services free and with no queueing! 

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭The Voice of reason

stevieob wrote: »
    28064212 wrote: »
    Skatedude wrote: »
    It's still legal tender in this country
    Strictly speaking, it's not. From the ECONOMIC AND MONETARY UNION ACT, 1998, section 10, Legal tender amounts of coins: "No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction."

Having said that, it's still a service that would be expected from a bank, and it's a poor bank that doesn't provide it. Of course, the only way to address it is to close your accounts and take your business elsewhere. It's pretty much the only thing BOI are likely to actually take notice of
    they have already said that they will not accept a bag of €2 coins.  that's 25 coins.  so does this mean they are breaking some kind of law?  wouldn't be the first time anyway!
    What law did BOI break? Curious to hear

niallon11 wrote: »
    Its an absolute disgrace that the banks are starting to refuse to accept coins and edging out cash. Its all designed to increase the amount of people using cards as there are less handling  cost and more charges. This is regardless of what their customers actually want or need but will increase their profits. Hardly a surprise though.
    It's not the banks, edging out cash, google national payments plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi all,

Thanks to you all for your feedback.

We introduced our coin lodgement policy back in October 2013, changing the way cash and coins were accepted.
    As we have mentioned above, all branches accept coin lodgements on Tuesdays from 10am until noon and all day on Fridays.
    The coin must be fully bagged and in the correct denominations.

As always we appreciate you taking the time to get in touch and we will certainly pass on your feedback regarding this.

If we can help with anything else in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us.
    Laura

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

So the banks were capable of taking in coins for the last 200 years or so, but are not capable any more?  Why? did your staff forget how to count or?

Skatedude wrote: »
    So the banks were capable of taking in coins for the last 200 years or so, but are not capable any more?  Why? did your staff forget how to count or?
    is there a need to be so condescending towards their staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Twickers

It's nothing to do with the staff. It's just a stupid policy with the Bank not having any thought for their customers.
    The regular response from the Bank that it "will pass on your feedback" should be "we couldn't care less what you think and we have "binned" your comment"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Try this Twickers

It's nothing to do with the front line staff. It's just a stupid policy which staff in the higher echelons, you know, the ones who make all the big bucks and who don't actually deal with their customers, have come up with, not having any thought or care for their customers.

Try this Twickers

It's nothing to do with the front line staff. It's just a stupid policy which staff in the higher echelons, you know, the ones who make all the big bucks and who don't actually deal with their customers, have come up with, not having any thought or care for their customers.

I reckon it's more to do with the national payment plan. Banks are being mandated by the central bank to reduce the amount of cash in the system and encourage electronic payment.

It wont let me post a link to the document, but a quick google search shows this is the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Try this Twickers

I reckon it's more to do with the national payment plan. Banks are being mandated by the central bank to reduce the amount of cash in the system and encourage electronic payment.

It wont let me post a link to the document, but a quick google search shows this is the case
    well then they need to change a few things, for example

try paying someone a few bob using Business on line since the SEPA changes.  more hassle than it's worth.

Try this Twickers

well then they need to change a few things, for example

try paying someone a few bob using Business on line since the SEPA changes.  more hassle than it's worth.

Yeah that's a good point.

Wonder why not all branches have a coin machine like the one in Baggot St.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi The Voice of reason

Baggot Street is at the moment piloting the coin machine. Any further updates to roll out to other branches, we will surely advise here on Boards.

Thanks for your interest, we will pass this onto our Branch Network also, they will appreciate the positive feedback with this.

Thanks again
    Alison

Advertisement