Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sausages

Options
  • 27-02-2014 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭

I like sausages which are fairly high in pork content and quite firm to the touch after cooking. I know a lot of butchers will have their own special recipes but I find them very expensive although they are superior in quality.

Are there any which can be bought in supermarkets which would have a high meat content and not too expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Olhausen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like Supervalu's Cumberland sausages, they're very meaty and great for dinner with mash and gravy. I think they're €2.99 for a pack of six, but they're big sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Try Marks, some of theirs are 97% pork and plenty meaty

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Slattsy wrote: »
    Olhausen.

Not in existence anymore

pajopearl wrote: »
    I like sausages which are fairly high in pork content and quite firm to the touch after cooking. I know a lot of butchers will have their own special recipes but I find them very expensive although they are superior in quality.

Are there any which can be bought in supermarkets which would have a high meat content and not too expensive?

Aldi specially selected 1.99 for 9 and 80% pork

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Not in existence anymore

Had some saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Slattsy wrote: »
    Had some saturday.
    The name, or brand, still exists, but was bought up by a different company when they went bust in 2012.

Still delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Dunnes Stores Simply better 85%
    Hodgins 70% (were 80%)
    Truly Irish 83%
    Crowes 82%

I too only eat sausages with high pork content.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Olhausen, Kearns and Byrnes are back on the shelf made by Mallon's.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,406 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Chris___ wrote: »
    Dunnes Stores Simply better 85%
    Hodgins 70% (were 80%)
    Truly Irish 83%
    Crowes 82%

I too only eat sausages with high pork content.

Does 70-83% counts as high? I've no idea what % the ones I buy are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,587 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Yep. Too many brands are circa 58%

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I like olhausen, the skins are nice and sticky when cooked. Not sure of the meat content but it never bothered me much, I know it is not particularly high. I would only be bothered if it was so low that you could barely tell it had meat in it and it becomes more like a veggie sausage. Walshes spiceburgers have very little beef in them.

I expect "irish sausages" to have a fair bit of cereal in them, to me a 97% meat sausage is a different product from an "irish sausage", but maybe the OP is after the really high ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Lovely sausages in Lidl in the black packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lovely sausages in Lidl in the black packet.
    They're pretty nice taste wise, but the skins they use on them at the moment are a bit, well, odd. They used to be a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Can you make your own or is hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Engine No.9

I decided to go with the Aldi Specially Selected ones. €1.99 for 6 of them in the pack. Lovely and meaty but the flavour was a bit odd. They were garlic and herb infused and extremely garlicy. I like garlic but I thought they were a bit strong. I tried the pork and leek ones from Lidl a few months back and while the flavour of them was supreme, they were a bit inferior as far as quality was concerned in that the skins just burst all over the place. The skins were very tough and you literally had to slice them with a knife before cooking to separate them, tried breaking them apart between my fingers which I normally would do but that was no go. I found the same to be the case with the Aldi sausages. The local butcher is that bit more expensive and the meat contents seem to be the same (about 80% give or take a few %), but the quality off the butcher is very high so might stick with them for now, until I bring up the quality issues with these 2 particular supermarkets Customer Service departments. Thanks everybody for your replies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Tesco's Finest aren't bad. I'm not mad about the fat ones, but the thin ones are quite good and tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

For the record the olhausens are only 63%, but they are also only €2.50 a pound in dunnes at the moment.

I do not like the skins on the tesco finest ones, too tough for my liking.
    This site was recommended before

http://www.sausagemaking.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭marinabannon

Hi all i'm looking for Casing for my homemade white pudding, looking for a supply in Wexford, Wicklow or Dublin, have tried Old McDonalds in Carlow no luck also tried Mcdonnell in Dublin no luck any help would be great cheers all ....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Hootanany wrote: »

Fairly handy
    Get some pork belly and shoulder
    Mince coarsly

Mix about 15-20 % of the meat weight of fine breadcrumbs in
    Add seasonings:
    Salt& white pepper for sure
    Sage, garlic, nutmeg, allspice, fennel seeds all add their own thing

Mix in the salt and pepper and fry off a small spoonful to taste, add more seasoning to taste

Put sausage attachment on mincer
    Make sausages

Probably 15 minutes to have them frying in a pan

Advertisement