Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best interactive cat toys?

• 27-02-2014 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

I am going away for 3 months and leaving my cat with relatives, they are retired and so he will always have company which is great, but I am looking into getting him a few interactive toys to keep him busy.

He really loves to have someone play with him endlessly, and all his toys here are wand type/fishing rod and fetch toys ... but those type of toys you have to spend a good bit of time playing with him. He drags his toys and presents them to you, but once you start playing, he doesn't want to know its you ;):rolleyes:

He doesn't like lasers, they frustrate him. And he doesn't understand cat apps either :P he always thinks the 'prey' is under or behind the screen :pac:

This is the only toy I've seen on Zooplus that I think might be interesting, but they have hardwood floors and I think it might be too loud/fast/intimidating.
    http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_toys/miscellaneous/other_interactive_toys/178703

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

My cats love this, hours of fun and doesn't require human participation

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/cat_toys/catit_design_senses/133899

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

This one; works with some cats but not others but it's about as good as you can get; what ever you do don't get the hilly version (cost extra and all cats I've tried it on dislike it over the normal flat one).

Beyond that balls/mice (preferably not smooth to let them grip them better to throw around) which they will shove under the sofa/wardrobe/owen on a regular basis so always going to need more to throw out. Paper balls, boxes with holes in them (for them to hide in/ambush out from) a few big and wide scratch poles (to jump/climb up and down on if clustered), kong octupus toys (catnip toys with arms the cat can keep on kicking; ours love those types specifically because of that), treats in a slow dispenser (i.e. ball with small hole to be kicked around to get treats) and of course lasers (but don't let them catch it).

Also if they have a suitable place for the cat to sit looking out with a bird table or similar you can get plenty of cat TV that way but only if the window is completly closed (never leave a window parly open even at the top; they WILL get out).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I got a cat laser toy on zooplus, can't remember what it's called now and I'm on my phone so can't link it, but it turns on for 15 minutes and makes the laser go around in circles. Dude loves it, keeps him entertained for ages when I'm there to turn it on every 15 minutes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

That ball tunnel looks great..............even the kitten in the picture doesn't seem to be able to handle the excitement of it!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We got this an none of our 4 cats have any interest in it so it went in the recycle bin. Maybe have a look on Amazon and see if there's anything there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

My cats have something similar to this. I call it a "donut." It's basically the same idea, but in a donut shape, so the ball just goes around in a circle, and there's a center opening they can stand in as well. Both of them really love it. This is it: http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Crazy-Circle-Interactive-Large/dp/B0002AT5AO/ref=sr_1_50?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1393524557&sr=1-50&keywords=cat+toys

I also have this (the Spring Fling): https://theanimalrescuesite.greatergood.com/store/ars/item/51206/Play-N-Squeak-Cat-Toy-Whack-Attack?origin=ARS_GPLA_78774&gclid=COfPuZvy7LwCFUOSfgodLA0ARQ

And both cats really love attacking that mouse. He just flips back and forth on the spring, which is fun for them.

Both of mine are still kittens though, so they may just be easily entertained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,530 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We got this an none of our 4 cats have any interest in it so it went in the recycle bin. Maybe have a look on Amazon and see if there's anything there.

Same with us. Our three played with it once and then ignored it.
    They seem to prefer knocking the sh1te out of each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Mine love the circuit toy, I have a load of them connected together to make a giant one. If they ever get sick of it I just load it with dry food or treats and they are interested again :)

We got 1 a few years ago. At first ours were terrified of it because it is REALLY noisy, then they loved it. But, and it's a big but, the little plastic arm is really fragile and broke really easily. So easily that the first 1 we had snapped off, the manufacturer gave us a replacement and the same thing happened again. It also ate batteries, so we ended up getting a battery charger. Not cheap for what it is either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Have you tried the ring off milk cartons?

Cats go nuts for them :P

Sophisticated toys never worked on mine, but she'd spend hours playing with a straw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,530 ✭✭✭Heroditas

IvySlayer wrote: »

Sophisticated toys never worked on mine, but she'd spend hours playing with a straw

One of them loves my wife's hair bobbins.
    We keep finding them in the most unusual places, I'd swear the cat stashes them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

I know what you mean, his absolute favourite thing in the world are those plastic ties that have the wire core.... but like with all his toys (balls, mice etc) he is interested in it for a minute, and then he brings it to you, puts it at your feet and 'bothers you' until you play with it...

I just don't think his minders will have the interest to play endless games with him (especially with his plastic wire, fingers become a liability)

That looks good, now that's exactly the sort of thing I think would suit. I wonder if there is a better quality one

Also if they have a suitable place for the cat to sit looking out with a bird
    table or similar you can get plenty of cat TV that way
    Yeah, that's something they have that we don't, and he did spend 15minutes just looking out the window at the birds. I'm trying to convince my OH he needs to build him a cat run that he could access out the window - it would just be something new that would keep him interested while we are away.

I just don't know about the ball tunnel, it could be hit or miss.

A huge favourite in our house is ping pong balls. I've found thumb sized things are the best as they can pick them up and throw them around, like toy mice. Also the clockwork mice are a big hit here. We have a multi level cat tower inside a window and they love to watch the birds from there. A lot of the stuff that we get we buy from Zooplus UK. I've found them the best for offers on cat towers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭ingalway

My cat LOVES these but then we found the next level up - the plastic ring off a honey jar (the plastic jars with blue plastic tops). She goes insane playing with this one, barely looks at the milk rings anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

My cat loves plastic forks and pens.

Bloody house is covered with strange things he plays with EVERYWHERE. Under chairs, the couch, my bed, the dresser, the table.......

Apart from the forks he goes mad for a magnet that he pulls off the fridge and bats around the place before taking a leap half a metre into the air and dashing out of the room at 90 mph and galloping up the hall where he chatters at a mirror or attempts to climb the curtains.

One toy he gets great fun out of is a rattly mouse on a string that is hanging from a nail in a doorframe. And every so often I find a random mouse, dunk it in the bag of catnip, dust it off and hey presto, zonked up cat rubbing a mouse all over his face:D:D

(and then he goes mad and chases our rescue female all over the house, who is about half his 6-7ish kg weight) Then he will chase the dog :o

Advertisement