Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Property Pitfalls for Prospective Tenant

Options
  • 27-02-2014 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

I am going to view a house on Saturday, which up until recently was a very nice little 2 bed. It was let in December to a couple of scumbags who wrecked the place. I'm not sure of the damage but the new letting agent is not even trying to hide the fact that the previous tenants caused a good bit of damage, but didn't divulge any specific information. Repair work is supposed to be complete now, so could anyone advise on what could have things I should look out for in general, or if I should even bother looking at this house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Its no harm to look at the house, I can't imagine this 'scum bags' were very creative in their destruction, most likely they made a few holes in the walls and wrecked the furniture.

If the agent isn't hiding the fact that it was damaged, ask them what needed to be repaired when you visit. that way you can check there and then if everything is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

So it turns out there wasn't damage to the house ie walls, doors & windows, kitchen and bathroom. The house has been completely repainted and new curtains have been hung, but the furniture is a mess and there are solid timber floors which are still filty. Now I'm not just being picky, and am aware that furniture in a rental property can be dodgy and the landlord is not obliged to change it unless broken, but in this house the chairs at the kitchen table are leather effect and it looks as if a cat has shredded them to pieces, there are stools at the breakfast bar in the same condition. The sitting room has a 3 piece leather suite which, although does not have the same scratches, is showing severe signs of mistreatment as well as a number of questionable stains. So basically, would it be unreasonable to ask whether the landlord would change the furniture as a condition of moving in? or asking if we could buy our own furniture in return for a reduction in rent for a number of months? or would it just be a case of having to suck it up and take the furniture as it is if we want to move in?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 duffers83

So it turns out there wasn't damage to the house ie walls, doors & windows, kitchen and bathroom. The house has been completely repainted and new curtains have been hung, but the furniture is a mess and there are solid timber floors which are still filty. Now I'm not just being picky, and am aware that furniture in a rental property can be dodgy and the landlord is not obliged to change it unless broken, but in this house the chairs at the kitchen table are leather effect and it looks as if a cat has shredded them to pieces, there are stools at the breakfast bar in the same condition. The sitting room has a 3 piece leather suite which, although does not have the same scratches, is showing severe signs of mistreatment as well as a number of questionable stains. So basically, would it be unreasonable to ask whether the landlord would change the furniture as a condition of moving in? or asking if we could buy our own furniture in return for a reduction in rent for a number of months? or would it just be a case of having to suck it up and take the furniture as it is if we want to move in?
    A few years back I rented an apartment that was previously used by some junkies. I was told that it was rented by some dodgy people but it was all sorted. Cue a few weeks into a 12 month lease and getting druggies knocking on the door at all hours one even tried to kick the door in. Had to call police 3 times. All landlord would say is it wasn't his problem. I would be careful if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

duffers83 wrote: »
    A few years back I rented an apartment that was previously used by some junkies. I was told that it was rented by some dodgy people but it was all sorted. Cue a few weeks into a 12 month lease and getting druggies knocking on the door at all hours one even tried to kick the door in. Had to call police 3 times. All landlord would say is it wasn't his problem. I would be careful if I were you.

Funny you should say that, I am looking at moving in with a friend and that was one of their concerns too. We both are from the area so had heard that "shady characters" were coming and going from the house at all hours. It was complete lunacy of the previous letting agents to allow the previous tenants into it, its a little village, 99% owner occupied, made up of young families, professionals, and retired couples.

The only selling features it has going for it at the moment are that
    1. The letting agent told me that because of the previous tenant, the landlord would accept a low rent if it meant getting a safe, long term tenant (both me and my friend know the letting agent, so we would fall in this category)
    2. Its in an area I am really familiar with, where properties come up for rent incredibly rarely

Advertisement