Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposal of poo!?

• 27-02-2014 4:50pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I generally gather up Josh's "little presents" in biodegradable bags and drop them into a bin liner in an unused shed.

Then periodically the bin liner gets dumped in the Garden Waste/ Compost bin and put out...

But this is a system I decided on from day 1 and now I dunno if I'm not doing something dumb??

I also barely know what a tracker mortgage is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You need to make sure the poo bags are compostable if they're going in the brown bin - not just biodegradable. We usually bag them and drop them into a flower pot until we're emptying the caddy in the kitchen then add all the bags of poo in.
    (I'm with CiyBin btw and they confirmed it was ok to put the poo in the brown bin but asked that we wrap in paper or put in a compost able bag.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

If you do a quick search you'll see most sites recommend that you do not add your dog poo to your garden composter. Some go on to say that you can if it is not being used to fertilise edible crops, or if you follow a certain rules you can. Here details how you can successfully compost your dog's poo.

I bag it and bin it in the normal household waste bin, but I'll probably get given out for this.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

aha... ok, I used these: http://earthrated.com/about-the-bags/

and while the ones I have are "Biodegradeable" they have others that are fully compostable.

But I'm still not clear what the right way to dispose of dog poop is? (unless you all are using compostable stuff)

Double check with your bin provider to be sure. If you're with CityBin it's allowed in the brown bin and they don't have a limit on the brown bin's weight - so for us we're saving money putting it the brown bin instead of the black one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

In my old house there was a drain cover in the back yard, I just lifted it and popped in the poop, it's the same as flushing it.
    In this house I chuck it in the ditch that runs down one side of my garden, it's a big ditch, high up, so far no smells in summer or anything. If we are out and they poop I bag it and bin it when I get home, in refuse bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Check with your bin company to see if it is ok to put poo in the compost bin.

If you are only dealing with one dog, you can flush it down the toilet. Don't put it in a bag, just collect it up and dispose of it as you would human poo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Down the drain out the back garden here.
    Same as flushing it down the loo.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Down the drain out the back garden here.
    Same as flushing it down the loo.

God that's so handy!! The gombeens who owned our house and built an extension in olden times didn't think it might be a good idea to move the drain BEFORE building walls around it so it's buried under our kitchen floor(!) This was nearly 100 years ago so safety/building regs mustn't have been invented yet! :p

Advertisement