Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reference for landlord!

Options
  • 27-02-2014 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi just looking to rent a house with some friends of mine were all in your late 20s.

I feel like every place we go to look at is a failure becuase I don't have any refrences from employer due to being unemployed and no ref from landlords due never having rented in ireland before, my friends have refs and I feel like I'm letting them down.

I have been away from ireland for a long time in NZ where I lived in my van,couch surfed,lived in a various hostels and don't really have any idea of how the renting processes goes in ireland.

if any one has any tips on this it would be great or any other tips on renting in dublin or housesharing.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

No reference for either employer or landlord is going to make things quite difficult I would have thought, especially in certain areas of Dublin where supply is low and landlord have their pick of tenants.

Have you anyone at all that you could get a reference from? Have you ever worked in Ireland or rented a property?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mr. blue wrote: »
    Hi just looking to rent a house with some friends of mine were all in your late 20s.

I feel like every place we go to look at is a failure becuase I don't have any refrences from employer due to being unemployed and no ref from landlords due never having rented in ireland before, my friends have refs and I feel like I'm letting them down.

I have been away from ireland for a long time in NZ where I lived in my van,couch surfed,lived in a various hostels and don't really have any idea of how the renting processes goes in ireland.

if any one has any tips on this it would be great or any other tips on renting in dublin or housesharing.

cheers
    Improvise ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Can you get a guarantor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

write your own

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

The landlord is going to check out the reference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

My parents are land lords and the amount of people that try to get their friends to pretend to be a landlord is ridiculous. Or once my parents called to check a reference and were told at least 4 times the name of the person who was supposed to give the reference was either in the shower or having a bath.

Honestly OP a lot of landlords wont check a professionals reference if they seem decent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

If you are renting the whole house, does he need refs from everyone? I rented with a friend that was not working and used only my references.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Could you ask some in good standing who knows you to write a character reference for you. Someone like a Garda, doctor, td etc who knows you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Potatoeman wrote: »
    If you are renting the whole house, does he need refs from everyone? I rented with a friend that was not working and used only my references.

If the landlord is thorough then I would expect them to want references from everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,892 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What are you using for references when you apply for jobs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement