Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commerce: UCD vs. NUIG

Options
  • 27-02-2014 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm in 6th year and I was wondering what college to go to do commerce based on college life, job opportunities after college etc. Two of my cousins did commerce in ucd and they loved it and other people said that college life in galway is amazing so I really have no idea!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

This question was pretty well covered in a previous topic. Here's the link: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86978191 Should answer most of your questions, if not feel free to ask more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Kinda depends. I would consider college life in Dublin far superior especially if you are from Dublin. Larger campus, more socs, more scope for nightlife etc. Should also add, if you live in Dublin it will be far cheaper to attend UCD.

As regards jobs, UCD would have a tiny bit more of a edge globally given the Smurfit School name etc. But at the end of the day, employers look at your degree to profile you for the job, it won't get you the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

ironclaw wrote: »
    Kinda depends. I would consider college life in Dublin far superior especially if you are from Dublin. Larger campus, more socs, more scope for nightlife etc. Should also add, if you live in Dublin it will be far cheaper to attend UCD.

As regards jobs, UCD would have a tiny bit more of a edge globally given the Smurfit School name etc. But at the end of the day, employers look at your degree to profile you for the job, it won't get you the job.

It's more than a "tiny bit of a edge". The majority of recruitment for the very selective companies (Law firms, Banks, Consulting Firms) comes from what are called "target schools". UCD along with Trinity are the Irish target schools for many of these London based companies while they don't often stretch any further, occasionally taking in DCU considering it's proximity. If you want to stay in Ireland OP it's much of a muchness, but if you're doing Commerce with the intent of working in somewhere like London going to a target school makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Kiltennel wrote: »
    It's more than a "tiny bit of a edge". The majority of recruitment for the very selective companies (Law firms, Banks, Consulting Firms) comes from what are called "target schools". UCD along with Trinity are the Irish target schools for many of these London based companies while they don't often stretch any further, occasionally taking in DCU considering it's proximity. If you want to stay in Ireland OP it's much of a muchness, but if you're doing Commerce with the intent of working in somewhere like London going to a target school makes a big difference.

Sorry, that was kinda what I was trying to get at. Definitely on the international front you'll have an advantage. Then again, if you had a decent degree (i.e. Good marks) from any major college and some internships / secondary experience to boot then your in a good place as well. A lot of students hope their college name will carry them when in fact you need to be very well rounded in the jobs market these days. Remember, your entire class is the same as you. You need to be different.

Advertisement