Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CBR Performance Upgrades

• 27-02-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm looking to do a few small performance upgrades to my cbr600 ('01) I wouldn't know an awful lot when it comes to this side of things so any and all info will be very much appreciated.

I'm thinking along the lines of an exhaust can, k&n air filter and a Power Commander V with a map from NDM

Just wondering what would be the best bits to do, or if what I listed above would be a good enough few bits. If someone here has maybe done the same to their 600 what way did you go about it?

Cheers for any help lads!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm far from an expert but some of the sites let you put in your bike model and then show you what parts they sell etc. Spotsbikeshop is good: http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_group/_/(all;product_rating;DESC;0-0;all;b2533)

Also ebay: http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_odkw=cbr600rr&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=cbr600rr+2001&_sacat=0

You might get more on a specific CBR600 forum

Also, to be honest if you really want more power, buy a bigger bike. Air filters etc can only really do so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Smithy101

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm far from an expert but some of the sites let you put in your bike model and then show you what parts they sell etc. Spotsbikeshop is good: http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_group/_/(all;product_rating;DESC;0-0;all;b2533)

Also ebay: http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_odkw=cbr600rr&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=cbr600rr+2001&_sacat=0

You might get more on a specific CBR600 forum

Also, to be honest if you really want more power, buy a bigger bike. Air filters etc can only really do so much!

Cheers for the reply pal, ye I'll have a look through them sites and see what I can come across. Might try pick a few brains on a CBR6 forum aswel :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

what are you looking for from the bike? as zascar said, there is only so much you can do with parts..

best upgrade you can do is either go up or down a sprocket or two on the front... this will give you either more low end speed or more top end speed depending on which way you go, but its a seesaw, better low end = worse top end etc. I mainly drive in and out of town so better low end suits me (although I never did change my CBR, but i did with previous)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

this is a great site for finding out what a sprocket change will do: http://www.gearingcommander.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you're going to NDM I'd seek their advice first, those lads are serious operators and won't put you wrong.

• Advertisement

If you're going to NDM I'd seek their advice first, those lads are serious operators and won't put you wrong.

Ye I gave the NDM lads a call earlier just to inquire and get some info and I have to say they were extreamly helpfull. First thing would be to get it on the dyno and see where it is at the moment, they'd then be able to advise me the best way to go about it and where my money would be best spend in getting some extra power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

kev and the lads know their stuff, if it's still on the standard exhaust then a new can will make a huge difference, especially in weight saving, power should go up as does 'sound' :D

Generally it's all about helping a bike 'breath' properly so filter and exhaust are the first things to look at - switching a sprocket is not tuning, it could be a worthwhile mod depending on what you want though, going up a tooth or two on the rear would make it feel more fun. ;)

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As a former CBR6 owner, and it was damn good fun to own at the time, there 'ain't no substitute for cubes' as the yanks say.

Get a litre bike, you'll spend more on getting 5 - 10 hp out of the CBR than it'll cost you to trade up, assuming you have a full licence and are over 25 or so.

Scrap the cap!

bladespin wrote: »
    kev and the lads know their stuff, if it's still on the standard exhaust then a new can will make a huge difference, especially in weight saving, power should go up as does 'sound' :D

Generally it's all about helping a bike 'breath' properly so filter and exhaust are the first things to look at - switching a sprocket is not tuning, it could be a worthwhile mod depending on what you want though, going up a tooth or two on the rear would make it feel more fun. ;)

Ye it only has a micron can as is. Other than that she's nothing. Only have the bike a few weeks n it's pretty standard. First thing is a dyno to see what power it's making and if the air/fuel is ok. If not I'd benefit from a power commander and map to set things rite, plus air filter. It's the sport model so has +1 on back sprocket as standard but not thinkin of messing with sprockets just yet. Need to improve my skills before I go messing with the bike 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

You could always sell it for a gsxr. :pac:

• Advertisement

corkgsxr wrote: »
    You could always sell it for a gsxr. :pac:

Must say I do love gsxr's, always have! Probably the first bike I came across n really wanted! But went it comes to power n equipment the cbr sport is quality! But maybe that's just me, first love and all that, ha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Attached price list might help give an idea what to do

Smithy101 wrote: »
    Must say I do love gsxr's, always have! Probably the first bike I came across n really wanted! But went it comes to power n equipment the cbr sport is quality! But maybe that's just me, first love and all that, ha!

I bought a gsxr600 6 years ago. Mighty bike, I love it. A do all bike

corkgsxr wrote: »
    I bought a gsxr600 6 years ago. Mighty bike, I love it. A do all bike

Don't doubt't it for a second, a fantastic bike all round! I feel the same about my CBR, absolutely love it! Very much looking forward to getting out spinning form next week 👍 I'm sure you are yourself pal :)

gctest50 wrote: »
    Attached price list might help give an idea what to do

Cheers for the reply pal! Where are these prices based from do you know?

My opinion was r6 or cbr6. Test drove a gsxr and that was that

Cheers for the reply pal! Where are these prices based from do you know?

http://www.holeshot-racing.co.uk/

gctest50 wrote: »

Awesome as they are what's the point

Not much point really - if yer bored of it trade it for something bigger and then tune that instead :)

Advertisement