Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop broke whilst in care of warranty provider

Options
  • 27-02-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Was wondering if any of the wise citizens of boards could help me on this. I bought a laptop on the 30 Oct 13. On the 24th of February the screen started to flicker. On the 25th I returned it to the PC World that I bought it from. One of their technicians assessed it and agreed there was screen flicker and that it would be covered.

I have had to go chasing to get information back about the laptop, and I went in again on the 23rd and was told they would ring the manufacturer and see what the delay was... after four weeks. On the 24th I received a phone call to say that there was a tear in the screen which was due to abuse on my part. I insisted that the condition of the machine was just screen flicker when I left it in PC world's hands. They sent me on pictures that had been provided and sure enough there is a huge 3 inch pixelated tear in the screen. They passed me onto the manufacturer, Lenova.

I have 'wasted' a good amount of money talking to Lenova.
    They re-appraised it and said nope it must have been me. I said the machine was not in the condition when it was handed off to me.
    I had to chase Lenova three times after they failed to call me back for arranged callbacks. Finally I got talking to somebody who had the authority to do something about it, but he remained steadfast and said, it was my fault.

The service docket I have detailing the matter from pc world, mentions the screen flicker being only fault with the laptop. Lenova contends that I had put pressure on it at some point and this got exacerbated by transit and as such my warranty was void. I am getting stonewalled from PC world and Lenova.

I have three questions with regards to it
    1)What to do directly concerning the Laptop
    2)Do I have any case for recompense for the length of time that this has taken. Its 5 weeks on Sat, I really need my laptop.
    3)Do I have any case for recompense for the money I had to spend getting in touch with Lenova.

thanks for reading this and any help is greatly appreciated
    !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Soga will protect you no problem...write a letter stating you want the issue resolved,
    You mentioned a lot of phone calls ,have you gone to store to talk to the technician or manager or both!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

bellylint wrote: »

I am getting stonewalled from PC world and Lenova.

I have three questions with regards to it
    1)What to do directly concerning the Laptop
    2)Do I have any case for recompense for the length of time that this has taken. Its 5 weeks on Sat, I really need my laptop.
    3)Do I have any case for recompense for the money I had to spend getting in touch with Lenova.

thanks for reading this and any help is greatly appreciated
    !

Firstly good (wo)man fir keeping your dockets! Makes life much easier.

1) Stop dealing with Lenova directly, they've refused to help you - they are the manufacturer their contract is with PC World not you. Your contarct is with PC world and not Lenova. PC can ask them to assist but they can't abdicate their duties.

2) Take in or send a letter to the store where it was purchased giving them 10 working days to resolve the issue. Mark it Formal Complaint for the criac, include a CC for their head office. No point in engaging in legalese in this letter.

If after 10 days you get no joy make use of the small claims process.

3) Probably not frankly. Once it gets beyond a de minimus charge to chase I'd fall back on dealing with the retailer.

(4) Never be bonkers enough to purchase from DSG again :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

As a consumer your contract is with PC World. You said the PC World service docket states the the only fault was screen flicker, well it sounds like the laptop got damaged in transit back to the manufacturer.

If PC World are stonewalling, I would say you have to go legal. The small claims court might be your cheapest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

Guys thanks all for the advice. Skinny90 I spoke to attendants and the manager.
    The manager is going back to Lenova, but he was setting out on the same vein, which prompted me here. All the phone calls I made were to Lenova.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You have no contract with Lenovo.

Your contract is with PC World but instead of looking after your statutory rights they have passed the buck to the manufacturer to deal with the issue under the manufacturer warranty.

PC World do not want to deal with complaints or returned/faulty goods! they want to pass all their legal obligations on to the manufacturers of the goods they sell.

You must only deal with and have contact with the retailer PC World from now and write a letter outlining what has happened so far and hand it to the store manager.

Give them ten days to resolve the issue or take a case to the small claims court.

• Advertisement
Advertisement