Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can an iphone 5 screen definitely be replaced

• 27-02-2014 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Can an iphone 5 screen definitely be replaced ?
    I cracked mine and while it still worms the screen is in bits

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Can an iphone 6 screen definitely be replaced ?
    I cracked mine and while it still worms the screen is in bits

Haven't seen the iPhone 6 yet so don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Yes, they ain't as cheap as the 4 yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

It's one of the easiest screens to replace, I saw a video on YouTube where a guy did it in about three minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

They are easier to replace but the parts are way more expensive and the screen usually doesn't come with the home button/earpiece/proximity sensor/camera attached so takes a bit longer than 3mins to swap all them over and test more like 15-20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'm getting done with GSM Solutions. €130 but if I supplied the part labour is €35 so it's not to bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭LarryMac

I'm getting done with GSM Solutions. €130 but if I supplied the part labour is €35 so it's not to bad.

The Missus broke screen this morning. Was looking on ebay for replacement kit. Anything from 5 - 35 pounds from UK. Did you get yours sorted and if so where did you buy part?

LarryMac wrote: »
    The Missus broke screen this morning. Was looking on ebay for replacement kit. Anything from 5 - 35 pounds from UK. Did you get yours sorted and if so where did you buy part?

Ye I got mine sorted. Dropped it into GSM solutions on abbey street €128. It was fixed in 5 hours but I dropped it in on Saturday (busy day)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

What would apple charge? If costing more than €100 I'd prefer to get something like this done direct by Apple with genuine parts so at least they couldn't invalidate the warranty afterwards.

Stinicker wrote: »
    What would apple charge? If costing more than €100 I'd prefer to get something like this done direct by Apple with genuine parts so at least they couldn't invalidate the warranty afterwards.

They were genuine parts, that's way it was €128.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I read on a different thread about a company called Fonemenders that Apple had no partners or agents in Ireland and basically the only ones authorized to repair phones were Apple themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Don't listen to those clowns. The only genuine parts come from apple. Getting anyone else to repair an iPhone voids any warranty as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

The place would want to be beaming white and have silver apples all over the wall for me to trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I bought my one on ebay and had a mate change it for me.
    Definitely genuine part but it cost close to what Apple wanted so if you can wait a week or so then you're better of sending it to them.
    I wouldn't trust GSM...lots of complains on boards about them already and shoddy service and fake parts.

How are you so sure it was genuine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

you'd know by the quality plus it was a reputable company on ebay.
    If it wasn't a genuine one it was by far the best copy of one I've seen. It was flawless and screen looked the same as the day I bought it.
    The fake ones all have lower rez and the prices are considerably lower than the real deal.

eg this one is fake..price should be at least double what they're asking.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-LCD-Screen-and-Digitizer-For-Apple-iPhone-5-Black-/271219701553?pt=UK_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3f25f43731

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

guil wrote: »
    Don't listen to those clowns. The only genuine parts come from apple. Getting anyone else to repair an iPhone voids any warranty as well.

that changed about 6 months ago when Apple started to supply some parts for same unit repairs in ireland.

aimee1 wrote: »
    that changed about 6 months ago when Apple started to supply some parts for same unit repairs in ireland.

If apple supplied any companies with parts they would list them as authorized repair centres. There is none in Ireland.

If apple supplied any companies with parts they would list them as authorized repair centres. There is none in Ireland.

my brother works in a repair centre and apple supply them with parts to do some same unit repairs such as loudspeaker, camera

Ah will ya stop. Apple aren't going to supply somewhere with parts and then void the warranty if that place works on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭LarryMac

Ye I got mine sorted. Dropped it into GSM solutions on abbey street €128. It was fixed in 5 hours but I dropped it in on Saturday (busy day)

Tanx. Got it fixed in Paddy Electric for €90 this morning. Had it fixed and ready in a half hour.

Ah will ya stop. Apple aren't going to supply somewhere with parts and then void the warranty if that place works on the phone.

I dont anything about how apple operate but I do know they are now authorising some repairs because my brother does it for a living

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

I dont anything about how apple operate but I do know they are now authorising some repairs because my brother does it for a living

Apple do not authorise repairs in Ireland. If someone called me and said they had it repaired in Ireland then I'd know instantly the warranty is void. The only place in Ireland is the store in Belfast.

kensutz wrote: »
    Apple do not authorise repairs in Ireland. If someone called me and said they had it repaired in Ireland then I'd know instantly the warranty is void. The only place in Ireland is the store in Belfast.

ok i will say again. My brother works for a repair centre in dublin, and they repair certain faults on iphones, with parts supplied by apple.

ok i will say again. My brother works for a repair centre in dublin, and they repair certain faults on iphones, with parts supplied by apple.

Your brother is a liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

Your brother is a liar.

aimee1 is 100% correct. Apple are supplying parts for same unit repairs now. Things like battery, camera, loudspeaker, home key flex. Apple supply parts to the place i work and we do same unit repairs since about 6 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

You said apple authorise repairs in Ireland which is completely untrue. The only place authorised is the Apple store in Belfast.

kensutz wrote: »
    You said apple authorise repairs in Ireland which is completely untrue. The only place authorised is the Apple store in Belfast.

Yes, apple provide the parts, so they authorize a repair centre in dublin to repair certain faults on their phone products

• Registered Users Posts: 7 94markfoster

""apple don't authorize any iphone (or any apple device parts) to any repair shops only apple centers. any shop who says authorized by apple are lying.

mark""

.....just received information that I'm actually incorrect

• Advertisement
Advertisement