Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Whale Noises

Options
  • 27-02-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I know this might sound crazy, but I promise this is a genuine question and I'm not trolling.

I live on campus (Roebuck) and I regularly hear loud noises that sound like a whale roughly between 8-9am. The noises sound like they're coming from the centre of college itself and not my building. I have friends in Merville who hear it too so it's clearly very loud. This has been happening since the start of the semester (unless I just never noticed it before!)

Has anyone ever heard this before or does anyone know what it could be?! I know this sounds so stupid but it's been annoying me for a while now, haha!:D

PS, some people have suggested it's the pipes/heating? Although I don't see how it can be so loud that I'd hear the pipes from here!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Did you check the new lake?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Could it be wind through the buildings??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

mhangasor wrote: »
    I know this might sound crazy, but I promise this is a genuine question and I'm not trolling.

I live on campus (Roebuck) and I regularly hear loud noises that sound like a whale roughly between 8-9am. The noises sound like they're coming from the centre of college itself and not my building. I have friends in Merville who hear it too so it's clearly very loud. This has been happening since the start of the semester (unless I just never noticed it before!)

Has anyone ever heard this before or does anyone know what it could be?! I know this sounds so stupid but it's been annoying me for a while now, haha!:D

PS, some people have suggested it's the pipes/heating? Although I don't see how it can be so loud that I'd hear the pipes from here!

Riding noises is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Riding noises is your best bet.

I heard that there are gay cruising spots on campus? Maybe you're hearing humpback-ing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Is it the moaning sound you sometimes get nearby when you charge your phone on campus?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭UCDCritic

Is it the moaning sound you sometimes get nearby when you charge your phone on campus?

It's the principal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

It's the bin trucks' loading/unloading the big bins. I, too, pondered some type of giant beast yawning at one point. Disappointing when I realised what it actually was as I preferred believing it to be some whale-like creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Yep, it's the bin trucks. You can hear it outside the library, too, when they're emptying the bins/skips between the Library and Newman buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It's the bin trucks' loading/unloading the big bins. I, too, pondered some type of giant beast yawning at one point. Disappointing when I realised what it actually was as I preferred believing it to be some whale-like creature.
    convert wrote: »
    Yep, it's the bin trucks. You can hear it outside the library, too, when they're emptying the bins/skips between the Library and Newman buildings.

:( Spoil-sports.

Advertisement