Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11week old doesnt like her bottles

Options
  • 27-02-2014 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

So I always had a few problems when feeding my lo. I finally got her to start taking 4/5 onzes every 3/4 hours then she got a sore throat and bottles were a serious problem and she got anti biotics for it. Thats obviously cleared up but trying to get more then 3/4 onzes is a big big struggle. She simply goes mad as soon as I try give her the bottle 90% of the time. I have tried feeding her sitting in the buggy, sitting in her swing and in my arms. She just not having any of it. My mam says dont worry now her bottles in the night are usually maybe 4.5/5 ozs. Should I be worried or what do I so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Is she gaining weight, sleeping well (well enough for an 11 week old!) and producing wet & dirty nappies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Are the bottles too hot or too cold?
    Is she struggling to get the milk out if the teat?
    Have you tried a different brand that may taste differently?
    I think you need to sort it out now as it will be a very long year for you both if every bottle is a struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lulu1985

Yeah she has plenty wet nappies and at least one dirty nappy every day and they are very wet and very dirty... shes sleepin good for 11weeks I think. She doesnt sleep too well in the day but at night she sleeps well. Im a ftm and i felt my phn wasnt great when I did go uo to her around 4 weeks :( I havent tried changing formula at all shes on cow and gate. I am worrying about it but my mother thinks when she goes on food she will be ok. I really dont know.

I reckon as long as she is gaining weight, having lots of dirty and wet nappies (one dirty a day is fine) and sleeping well then she's fine. Chat to your GP if you are worried though but none of my girls ever took more than 5 ounces in their bottles. They were fed every three hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Yes but a lot of grannies think that babies should be on solids from 4 months as it was in their day but 6 months is recommended age now.

She sounds like she is thriving but feeding shouldn't be so stressful and worrisome for you both.

• Advertisement

January wrote: »
    I reckon as long as she is gaining weight, having lots of dirty and wet nappies (one dirty a day is fine) and sleeping well then she's fine. Chat to your GP if you are worried though but none of my girls ever took more than 5 ounces in their bottles. They were fed every three hours.
    Would ya try changing the formula? Would u think there wud be a difference in the diff ones?
    What really sparked this off is I bouggt her into work and they were all sayin shes tiny... how are her bottles?... messing sayin are ya feeding her at all?

You could try changing the formula if you want but I don't think it will make much difference :)

Don't let other people bring you down, she sounds like she's doing well. As I said, if you're worried she is not gaining weight speak to your GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I was in the pharmacy today asking about reflux (my son pukes quite a bit), they couldn't give me anything, but told me that there's one day a month you can bring the baby to the local clinic to get weighed if you're concerned ... I don't think I even need to do that tbh, he's getting big and getting plenty of wet nappies. But might be something to look into, I'm sure if you call your public health nurse she'll be able to advise you!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Could be silent reflux or thrush making her reluctant to feed. Or even because it was painful for her to feed with the sore throat she now associates feeding with pain.

Is there any white patches in her mouth (thrush)? Or does she arch her back, or struggle against those bottle when feeding? Or kick her legs when she does actually take any milk? Grunting or groaning just after a feed and clawing at you when you try to wind her - these are all signs of silent reflux.

BTW reflux (or GERD) can actually cause a sore and inflamed throat. It's unusual that a baby so young would pick up a throat infection, possibly it was inflamed due to silent acid reflux - it would explain a lot. I know from my own experience that when a GP sees redness they think infection, but often its inflammation. The reason the antibiotics work is because many of them also have an anti inflammatory in them, so it's that which gives an improvement not the antibiotic. Unless the doctor took a swab of your daughters throat and confirmed it was definitely a bacterial infection, I would be inclined to think along the lines of reflux.

• Advertisement

BTW reflux (or GERD) can actually cause a sore and inflamed throat. It's unusual that a baby so young would pick up a throat infection, possibly it was inflamed due to silent acid reflux - it would explain a lot. I know from my own experience that when a GP sees redness they think infection, but often its inflammation. The reason the antibiotics work is because many of them also have an anti inflammatory in them, so it's that which gives an improvement not the antibiotic. Unless the doctor took a swab of your daughters throat and confirmed it was definitely a bacterial infection, I would be inclined to think along the lines of reflux.

Yeah I had her on anti reflux at that time and she was still the same. Since 6.30 yday morn all iv really gotten into her is about 20oz. That can hardly be right?
    My heart is broekn right now while im lying erw waiting for her to settle down. My mum is here as well helping me because at the mo my partner is in hospital. I feel maybe I just not meant to be a mum. I really havent a maternal bone in my body. ..this is hard work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Ah now enough of you weren't meant to be a mum....the fact you are worries proves the opposite. Go with your instincts here.....you know her best.

Two suggestions....could your worry/ stress be effecting her? At feed time just play soft music and breath. Let her take what she wants.

Also there are anti-colic bottles with a long straw in them - give that a try

How are you feeling by the way? Motherhood is over whelming - talk to mammy groups or your GP - it does good

Good luck

The anti reflux formula on its own works for some babies with reflux, but mostly you need something else on top of it. Especially if it was possibly bad enough to hurt her throat. My twin girls are on losec now for it and hugely improved. You can also give Gaviscon if it's not too bad but it can make them constipated.

I am also bringing them to a sacrocranial osteopath next week. A lot of people swear by it as they believe babies can get squashed in the womb and continue to be stiff in parts of their body and this can cause lots of ailments including reflux. I am not sure I am convinced but if there is a chance it will help them and they will no longer need medication I am more than willing to at least give it a go.

I think you should at least talk to your PHN or GP. Babies do cry and get fussy, and lots of people make you feel unreasonable and unrealistic to want a baby who doesn't cry all the time. I was made feel like a fool a bit at first when I complained about my babies crying and got lots of 'but they're babies, it's what they do'. I can tell you IT'S NOT. A baby crying and lot and refusing food isn't something you just need to accept.

Bring her to your PHN or GP and insist something be done. Especially if she is feeding reluctantly as this can cause problems later on and isn't something to just be dismissed.

I feel for you, I know what it's like. I had two 3 week old twins screaming when they tried to eat, they were constipated, and very colicky. We first treated the gas with gripe water and hoped that would be it but then the constipation got worse and then the reflux started. It's been a bit of a blurr trying to get them sorted, and took 5 weeks til anyone properly listened to me. But 2 weeks in on the losec and the improvement is huge, feeding well, happy, giggling and laughing, sleeping well. When you get it sorted you will be so proud of yourself for being a great Mammy and helping your daughter. You will also wonder how you managed for so long without help for it.

And the best news about most of these conditions is that by 12/16 weeks they tend to grow out of them naturally.

Good luck. It's not easy but it can and will improve.

Advertisement