Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumb debt question - Credit card or loan ?

Options
  • 27-02-2014 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Ok so I've a pretty tough year ahead financially with a first family holiday, stags (were I'm a groomsman) and a tone of weddings.
    I've currently got a BOI loan with €4000 left to pay which I'll finish in a year.
    I've also got a credit card with €6000 debt
    So here's the question : get a top up loan and clear the card or continue throwing money off the card as/when I can ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

No brainer, consolidate your credit card debt to a loan with a lower rate. You could also consider trying to transfer it to a new card as some do deals when moving balance over like 0℅ for six month, you could then reduce balance over the 6 months and get a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Yea but the way I look at loans is - you get a load set up a direct debt and forget about it whereas the CC I'll throw money off it more frequently (ok so no so frequently lately as I've had to shell out for a lot of bills)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Daz R1 wrote: »
    Yea but the way I look at loans is - you get a load set up a direct debt and forget about it whereas the CC I'll throw money off it more frequently (ok so no so frequently lately as I've had to shell out for a lot of bills)

Your loan has an account number which you can set up on your online banking and throw extra whenever you want and its at a lower rate. Absolute no brainer with that much credit card debt.

Advertisement