Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learning to skate

• 27-02-2014 10:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So a couple of weeks ago, I went along to a roller derby open skate day with the intention of signing up. I was great at roller skating the last time I did it (20 years ago) and I never even thought that I'd struggle with it as an adult. Imagine my mortification when I stood up with skates on and I couldn't even move forward! :o I've forgotten everything about skating. After 20 minutes of clutching the wall, I could move maybe 3 feet on my own :o.

So my question is, how do I learn to skate again?! I've put my roller derby dreams on temporary hold until I've mastered the art of going forward :D. There's a roller skating rink here in Cork that I'm going to go to, but I'm looking for actual technique tips. Descriptions or youtube videos are equally welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Hi Faith! I have no pro tips for you but I am in a similar boat.

I just started the Dublin Roller Derby Freshmeat skating 2 weeks ago. I used to love my roller skates as a kid, I would whizz around the place, no bother. But on the first day a couple of weeks ago I was so wobbly! I kinda forgot that not only am I waaaay out of practice but my body has changed significantly since then...bum and boobs make it harder to balance compared to before :D

So far I have learned it is all about bending your knees. I'm trying to do everything slowly but correctly, at least I can build up a bit of speed when I get the technique right...I hope!

Don't give up, you will get the hang of it again after some practice. Maybe the more experienced folks can give some better tips for you to actually move away from the wall :P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

I went to the ECC open skate last week, and wobbled around the hall a couple of times.. Useless! :D but, I'm starting Freshmeat on Wednesday and I'm hoping that I get the hang of it, am getting decent kneepads in case I don't! :)

I would say, do the Freshmeat training, don't put it on hold just because you feel you aren't confident enough, you'll learn, along with everyone else, and you'll have great fun! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Shikei

Just keep at it and you'll get there! I'm also doing DRD's freshmeat and had never skated in my life before, but after a few tries I could definitely see progress :) I was at ECC's open skate too and it really showed me how far I've come in just a few sessions, in comparison to a lot of the people there who were trying on skates for the first time in ages (hi Miss Behave!).

Seconding whats been said already, derby girls are well used to teaching people to skate so by no means put your dreams on hold! In fact you're better off learning to skate with a derby team because they'll teach you how to do it right, if you go and practice at a skating rink on your own you might need to relearn things when you start freshmeat. Or what a lot of people do is go to freshmeat and then also the skating rink on their nights off to get extra practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

Most fresh meats in Ireland go through basic skating with you. Especially because even people who can skate, don't skate in 'derby style' (aka knees bent, staying nice and low). Definitely sign up for your local FM.

Another tip is to make sure you're skating out to the side. A lot of people automatically default to trying to kick behind them, this just rolls your wheels and gets you nowhere fast! Striding out to the side gives you the push you need to get rolling (:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks all! I totally forgot I started this thread, which is why I didn't come back to it :D

It's great to hear about the progress you've all made :). Well done!

miamee - there's also a lot further to fall now! :D And I totally didn't factor in the body changes either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭froodie

I'll just say, never compare yourself to you as a kid- you were bendy and fearless and falling was par for the course! It takes a lot longer to learn as an adult, but the little achievements feel so much better :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

Go to a local skate rink (Dublin, Cork, Tip & Limerick have em) and get the staff to give you tips! Most have safety rails. It's a great place to learn. Skating indoors anywhere with an instructor either, after practice see if some freshies want to rent the hall and stay on.

Advertisement