Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Current BIOS is A01. Most recent is A13. Should I update?

• 27-02-2014 10:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38

Should I update my BIOS? I'm thinking why not shur .. but other people say don't touch it if the laptop is working. :confused:

Also, the install instructions are as follows:

1. Please note that if the A01 or before A01 BIOS is currently installed on your system you must first update to A02 BIOS and then flash to the latest A-rev BIOS.

2. Please note that if the A02 or A03 BIOS is currently installed on your system
    you must first update to A04 BIOS and then flash to the latest A-rev BIOS.

So do I have to manually install each BIOS or what?

Also, there's a list of recommended drivers on the Dell page. Should I just go down through the list and install them one by one? No need to delete anything first?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

When i got my dell laptop i noticed the fan was a bit too sensitive, i tried to update the BIOS and bricked the laptop.

I was on the phone to dell for hours and in the end got nowhere with them, i ended up having to revert to another version i found on the net.

I'll never update the BIOS again. But i could be the exception

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Unless there is a feature in the updated BIOS which you want/need to use then there is little to be gained in updating it, especially if you are at all unsure as to how to go about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

By and large if your system is working then don't change anything. Saying that, 13 releases is a lot, especially in Dell's world, I never like to upgrade to the latest version of anything Dell as a lot of bugs can be found, check out a BIOS a couple of releases back and see if there's anything reported as an issue. Saying that, if your laptop is out of warranty don't touch the BIOS as that might mean you'll need a new motherboard if anything goes wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

as the phrase goes:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It would help if you mentioned the model of laptop

In the past some BIOS upgrades were to slow down the machine when it got too warm to stop you frying the motherboard or caps

other upgrades were needed if you wanted to upgrade the HDD or CPU beyond what was available when A01 was written

first rule is read the notes that come with the BIOS.
    does it fix a problem you have or are likely to have ?

If upgrading the BIOS, make sure you have the battery to 100% and the power supply plugged in , make sure your machine is virus free and stable too

let the machine cool down and do a clean boot before trying it too, to be on the safe side, make sure you have a second machine so you can lookup the recovery procedure (if there is one) if it goes pear shaped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

1. Please note that if the A01 or before A01 BIOS is currently installed on your system you must first update to A02 BIOS and then flash to the latest A-rev BIOS.

2. Please note that if the A02 or A03 BIOS is currently installed on your system
    you must first update to A04 BIOS and then flash to the latest A-rev BIOS.

...very strange...

Advertisement