Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! - No stripes in Cat5e cable - See pics

Options
  • 27-02-2014 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just trying to set up a bit of a wired network at home having just upgraded to 200mb broadband.

So ran a cat5e cable, stripped the end to expose the wires and instead of the usual stripes and solids, there's just all solids? Shown in pic

Orange, green, brown, black, white, different shade of white, blue, lighter blue.

Does anyone know how i sort these? I'm not 100% on pairing them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Most likely you have 8 core alarm cable, google images matches yours exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

Are you sure it's cat5. Looks like alarm cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

ptogher14 wrote: »
    Are you sure it's cat5. Looks like alarm cable.

To be honest I'm not sure about any of this, wouldn't be a an expert in this type of thing. I ordered Cat5e and it came in wrapping with Cat5e written on it.

The shielding on the cable has 'PATCH CABLE JTB CAT5E 4 PAIRS ETA/TIA 568B' stamped onto it.

I've also tried it on my desktop before it I ran it through the trunking and it worked?

The only reason I has to remove the connector was to make it fit through small drill holes and trunking?

I'm very confused

Just going to check the old head that I snipped off :o

*goes rooting through dustbin*

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

Did you order a patch lead? When you're punching down the new crystal copy the colours on the one you left on and if it is cat5 it'll be fine

• Advertisement

So, basically copied the wiring setup in the old connector, used a wire tester on it, all 8 lights are green and I've tested in on my desktop at 80mb download speed.

It's working at least but I will change it when I get a chance. Probably run Cat6 eventually.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions lads

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There was a recent thread on here with exactly the same thing going on ... cheap "Cat 5e" cable bought off eBay that turned out to be nothing of the sort, i.e. plain old alarm / phone cable. It's not the colours that make the difference but the absence of twisting of the pairs.

It wasn't the same eBay seller was it? See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88723139

Alun wrote: »
    There was a recent thread on here with exactly the same thing going on ... cheap "Cat 5e" cable bought off eBay that turned out to be nothing of the sort, i.e. plain old alarm / phone cable. It's not the colours that make the difference but the absence of twisting of the pairs.

It wasn't the same eBay seller was it? See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88723139

Cheers, I didn't see that thread.

I actually had added that buyer to my watch list would you believe, but this is the seller I bought from. Name is seller-vision. http://www.ebay.ie/itm/160550899360?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Can anyone recommend a trusted cheap online provider of cat5e or cat6?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Advertisement