Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packing Checklist For Oz

Options
  • 28-02-2014 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

As above I always seem to miss something or else there are certain things you wouldn't even consider packing. Was thinking aswell is there much point in packing much pairs of pants, should I just go invest in a rake of shorts don't have a lot of pairs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭e.r

Depends where your going. I went snowboarding near the capital when I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭McGeezerr

e.r wrote: »
    Depends where your going. I went snowboarding near the capital when I was there.

I'm moving to Sydney end of March :D

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭e.r

Temperature gets cold in Sydney that's where I was based. But not freezing .

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

McGeezerr wrote: »
    As above I always seem to miss something or else there are certain things you wouldn't even consider packing. Was thinking aswell is there much point in packing much pairs of pants, should I just go invest in a rake of shorts don't have a lot of pairs.

I've only wore pants when I've been heading out on the town since i got here, don't make the same mistake as me and bring too much, causal clothes aren't that expensive here.

top madra wrote: »
    I've only wore pants when I've been heading out on the town since i got here, don't make the same mistake as me and bring too much, causal clothes aren't that expensive here.

Yeah I was thinking the only time I'll ever wear jeans/pants is heading out on the town at night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Bring a penknife in your checked in bag, I bought a six pack with no twist caps one day and needed the bottle opener on the penknife to open them(not a major problem!) my OH lost her tweezers so used the ones on the penknife, then I couldn't open the fuel filler cap on a car we bought so I took the casing apart with the screwdriver on it and saw what the problem was!
    Make sure you bring a smart phone or tablet aswell, the backpacker travel places all have free wifi,
    I would bring jeans and maybe one hoody, I brought way too much heavy clothes and I have been in shorts since I got here! People do say it gets cold though later on in the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 izzypopple

In Sydney at the moment and the weather isn't great.
    Quite cold (not freezing) and a lot of rain, so i'd suggest a decent jacket, jeans, long sleeve tops and maybe some shorts for the warmer days.

You can get stuff over here too, some decent reasonably priced shops and plenty of cosmetic stores etc.

Was wondering also should I bring my laptop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

McGeezerr wrote: »
    Was wondering also should I bring my laptop ?

Absolutely. Its one of the top things people get sent to them afterwards. Essential for finding a job.

In regards to winter clothes, I forever tell people it gets cold in Australia and no one ever listens, they just laugh and say its Australia it can't be that cold. I cant get enough of the i told ya sos! Now I'm in brisbane, more northern ans warmer than sydney. Last winter in brisbane it dropped to 5C at night, even lower is some surrounding areas. Now I know youre thinking, thats nothing we get minus 10 in ireland....yes minus 10 in concrete built heavily insulated homes, central heating, double glazed windows etc. Here the houses are built from light materials, lots are wooden, metal sheet roofs, no insulation, single glazed windows with no seals, no heating or fireplaces, no radiators. When the temperature drops you feel it!

Noo wrote: »
    Absolutely. Its one of the top things people get sent to them afterwards. Essential for finding a job.

In regards to winter clothes, I forever tell people it gets cold in Australia and no one ever listens, they just laugh and say its Australia it can't be that cold. I cant get enough of the i told ya sos! Now I'm in brisbane, more northern ans warmer than sydney. Last winter in brisbane it dropped to 5C at night, even lower is some surrounding areas. Now I know youre thinking, thats nothing we get minus 10 in ireland....yes minus 10 in concrete built heavily insulated homes, central heating, double glazed windows etc. Here the houses are built from light materials, lots are wooden, metal sheet roofs, no insulation, single glazed windows with no seals, no heating or fireplaces, no radiators. When the temperature drops you feel it!

Thanks for the information. I heard your better off coming to Oz when it's cold in comparison to roasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 IrishDownUnder

It doesn't get really cold here like it does back in Ireland haven;t seen any - temp where i am but having said that low teens here feel like low single digit temps in Ireland . You think we are mad when we say it's high teens and bloody cold but its ture .

Living here for 3 years now and your body gets use to the climate very quick . As the other guys say don't bring to much with you just cloths to do you for the first few weeks .

Plenty of cheap cloths shops like http://www.rivers.com.au/ , http://www.bigw.com.au , http://www.target.com.au/

Don't worry about bring Irish food with you either as http://www.tasteireland.com.au/ is staring to supply Coles n Woolies here .

I'd go for a tablet more than a laptop much easier to carry round .

If you are going for job and have a suit bring that saves buying one here .

Best advice can give you from here is wear a hat and Slip Slop Slap bloody sun can get really hot here . I mean buring hot in matter of mins and our skin isn't use to it at all .

But i'm going off the topic . Just enough cloths for the first week or so and you can buy every thing else cheap here .

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Helmet with a spike on it. You're heading over at the height of drop bear season.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 My_Sharona

An old Nokia phone might be handy for travelling around, going out etc. Maybe keep the smartphone and laptop locked up if you are staying in a hostel. I think there was also a thread on here about backing up important documents in your email. I would set up a Dropbox account to back up photos and docs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

It depends on where you go in Australia for cold weather.

I've been in -15 degrees in the Simpson desert and at a Gold Mine 300km NE of Kalgoorlie before (morning, evening and night time).

The cities I've been in haven't been too bad but if you're doing regional work in the winter time expect single digit temperatures..

Advertisement