Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash Help Needed

• 28-02-2014 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Right guys, first time going down the route of flash (so any help much appreciated)

I have been looking at these 2 flashes

Yongnuo 560iii & Yongnuo 565EX TTL.

I use a Canon 60D, and I don't quite understand what TTL is. (Some simple explanation would help in lay man's terms)

If I was to get the Yongnuo 560iii, would this communicate with my Canon 60D in the same way the Yongnuo 565EX TTL flash will? As in...... can I control the Yongnuo from my camera settings, or do I have to adjust setting on the flash every time I want to use the flash?

There is about €35 - €45 difference between them. What would you recommend for a first timer?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Right guys, first time going down the route of flash (so any help much appreciated)

I have been looking at these 2 lenses

Yongnuo 560iii & Yongnuo 565EX TTL.

I use a Canon 60D, and I don't quite understand what TTL is. (Some simple explanation would help in lay man's terms)

If I was to get the Yongnuo 560iii, would this communicate with my Canon 60D in the same way the Yongnuo 565EX TTL flash will? As in...... can I control the Yongnuo from my camera settings, or do I have to adjust setting on the flash every time I want to use the flash?

There is about €35 - €45 difference between them. What would you recommend for a first timer?

Thanks in advance.

TTL means through the lens. This allows the flash to decide output power somewhat automatically.
    You can't control them from the camera's menu.

Canon flashguns use a newer E-TTL II system and can let you directly control the flash from the camera menu on most newer flashes and cameras since the 1D mk III and the 580EX II. My 7D even has a wireless trigger build in.

If you do go with a non Canon flash you're going to have potentially mixed results with TTL. You can get perfectly good results but you'll need to take some time to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CharlieOscar

Thanks for your reply.
    So if I bought a Yongnuo Flash with E-TTL, then I could control it from my camera?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Have a read here - http://speedlights.net/2011/08/28/yongnuo-yn-565-ex-flash-review/

You can set it to TTL and then adjust the flash compensation from the camera body.

Thanks for your reply.
    So if I bought a Yongnuo Flash with E-TTL, then I could control it from my camera?

No, only a Canon flash may be controlled via the camera menu. The outout power will be set via the hot shoe but not much else.

EDIT: this would suggest that it may be controllable from the menu:
    http://speedlights.net/2011/08/28/yongnuo-yn-565-ex-flash-review/#Operation

Good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭jamesd

Looking for a flash myself for my 1100D - let me know what you get.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Got mie today, super fast delivery. Will have a play with it this week

Zascar wrote: »
    Got mie today, super fast delivery. Will have a play with it this week

Which did you go for? Yongnuo 560iii or Yongnuo 565EX TTL

Interested if you can use it via the camera menu.

I am going for the YN565 tonight when I get home.

I am going for the YN565 tonight when I get home.

Interested to know about the control via the camera menu.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Advertisement

jamesd wrote: »
    Interested to know about the control via the camera menu.

Control what? What's in the flash menu on a 1100D?

The zoom, aperture and exposure compensation settings are taken from the camera and applied to the flash when mounted on the hot-shoe. ...or do you mean wirelessly?

I'm told it does work wirelessly on certain cameras like my 600D, I had a look last night but I could not see any settings in the camera. Does anyone know how to get into them?

I'm told it does work wirelessly on certain cameras like my 600D, I had a look last night but I could not see any settings in the camera. Does anyone know how to get into them?

I can tell you how Nikon does it (much easier)? :D

Canon - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVyGlnmIttc

Control what? What's in the flash menu on a 1100D?

The zoom, aperture and exposure compensation settings are taken from the camera and applied to the flash when mounted on the hot-shoe. ...or do you mean wirelessly?

I was wondering if I could on the camera go into the menu and flash control and pick external flash and change settings here?

So I finally decided that I would buy the YN565, following many reviews and a lot of youtube videos. (Please please dont let me get a dud like some people have got from the Hong Kong / Chinese sellers on ebay.

Could not justify the extra €30-40 on Amazon (hopefully I do not live to regret it)

I should receive it some time after St Patrick's day and I will update the Thread with the outcome.

Fingers crossed from now till then!!!! :)

So I finally decided that I would buy the YN565, following many reviews and a lot of youtube videos. (Please please dont let me get a dud like some people have got from the Hong Kong / Chinese sellers on ebay.

Could not justify the extra €30-40 on Amazon (hopefully I do not live to regret it)

I should receive it some time after St Patrick's day and I will update the Thread with the outcome.

Fingers crossed from now till then!!!! :)

I bought all of mine direct from HKphotoequipment, they used to slip through customs, but not anymore. Expect a letter from the Revenue Mail Centre asking for a receipt/invoice, you might be lucky though (fingers crossed on that for you) ;).

How much did you pay?

How much would you have to pay, hope its not much, cause then I could have just bought it in Amazon!!!!

Maybe I might be lucky

How much did you pay?

23% on the total including shipping and €6 admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

The 565 is a grand little flash. Does everything you'd need it to and it takes quite a bashing. I love YongNuo, they've come a long way and make the high end Nikon and Canon flashes look massively over-priced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

5uspect wrote: »
    No, only a Canon flash may be controlled via the camera menu. The outout power will be set via the hot shoe but not much else.

I control my Yongnuo 568's from the camera menu. I have to use the yn622 triggers to do so, but all controls are actually withing the normal external flash menu on the camera. I'd be lost without this feature as Im frequestly changing flash power in various groups, switching between to HSS mode etc.

As the OP with the original question, I have done loads of research on this flash.
    It can be controlled by the Canon EOS DSLR range. There is a compatibility guide which shows which cameras can control what with the yongnuo.

It can only be used off camera on some EOS models, 60D, 600D, 7D, 70D and 5D (as far as I can remember)

I asked a friend of mine to check his YN565 on his 600D before I bought it and he told me it can be fully controlled when on the hot shoe.

I will post a full review as soon as it is delivered.

Splinters wrote: »
    I control my Yongnuo 568's from the camera menu. I have to use the yn622 triggers to do so, but all controls are actually withing the normal external flash menu on the camera. I'd be lost without this feature as Im frequestly changing flash power in various groups, switching between to HSS mode etc.

Look three posts down from the one you quoted :pac:

So I played about with mine a little over the weekend. I was trying to get it operating off camera. I followed the instructions here and I was able to get it working by using the pop up flash to trigger the 565 - but it needs to be in front of it and line of sight. I was under the impression you could get it working as if you had a set of hot shoes triggers - however I may be wrong. So there is a setting on my 600D saying "Wireless Flash Mode" - Enable and Disable. So I select Enable, click Set, but it remains on Disable. Very strange - any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

So I played about with mine a little over the weekend. I was trying to get it operating off camera. I followed the instructions here and I was able to get it working by using the pop up flash to trigger the 565 - but it needs to be in front of it and line of sight. I was under the impression you could get it working as if you had a set of hot shoes triggers - however I may be wrong. So there is a setting on my 600D saying "Wireless Flash Mode" - Enable and Disable. So I select Enable, click Set, but it remains on Disable. Very strange - any ideas?

The 565 has the inbuilt receiver doesn't it? You still need a trigger though. You'll only be able to fire it off camera with a Yongnou trigger (bout 15 quid on eBay iirc) or, as you've discovered, by putting it in 'Slave' mode and using your pop up flash to fire it.

You can set your camera's pop up flash to a negligible amount, which is written as "--" on Nikon brands. It's enough to trigger a Slave flash, but not enough to make any impact on 99% of photographs. It's a work around until you get a trigger anyway!

Indoors it shouldn't need to be line-of-sight, I've used mine inside a softbox and it fired spot on every time, you can direct the IR receiver at a wall/subject and it will pick up the bounce.

What shooting mode is the camera in? Was the pop-up popped up? It's optical wireless, not radio like the triggers.

Ah ok now I understand. Tbh I'm sure it will be fine for me for now, but what I will do in time is get a set of triggers like this as I'd like to get a second slave flash in time to try some effects etc.
    There are so many settings on the flash I have no idea what they do, seems like a totally new science altogether. Looking forward to playing around a bit though!

Ah ok now I understand. Tbh I'm sure it will be fine for me for now, but what I will do in time is get a set of triggers like this as I'd like to get a second slave flash in time to try some effects etc.
    There are so many settings on the flash I have no idea what they do, seems like a totally new science altogether. Looking forward to playing around a bit though!

Learning is part of the fun. :D You can trigger multiple flashes now with the pop up, no idea about Canon but Nikon (D7000) has two independent groups.

The Yongnuo radio triggers (transceivers) are pretty good too, they do basic ones (YN RF-603 @ ~£20 pair) or fancy TTL jobs (YN-622C @ ~£54 pair).

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Hello guys

searched this thread but couldn't find the specific detail to answer my question. Getting on great with my Lumix G1 - picking up a few lenses on E-Bay and MPB photography and a Manfrotto tripod from Hardley Normal :) - not sure though about the best flash to go for - a Metz - a Yanougo (?) ... the Lumix flashes appear to be very expensive. Also a remote shutter release cable as I want to try a few evening/dusk light trails and sunset low light shots with the tripod.

Sorry about the mish mash of a question but any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Not a 100% sure that a "spurious" flash will work efectively on the Lumix - I read in an article where a configuration of resistors in parallel will allow for certain functions to be performed :confused:

PS as an aside I picked up a few DSLR photography instruction/how to manuals in TK Maxx - much cheaper than Amazon or E-Bay ... well worth looking through the book section in store.

Thanks

• Advertisement

I just bought these two little accessories to use with my fash:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/121216489342?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/350810910278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

When I get a second flash I plan to add some stands and maybe softboxes

Advertisement