Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Front Tyre

• 28-02-2014 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Would a squared-off front tyre make pushing the bike feel very difficult? Like how it would feel to push a bike with a punctured tyre?

Whenever I am getting the bike ready for a spin I have to wheel it out to the front of the house. It takes serious effort to push it recently, and I have to start the bike and engage gears just to move it over the lawn beside the driveway. It really does feel like I have a puncture. I drive to the service station about a km away and I drive handy enough coz it makes me nervous, handling is not too bad though.

But when I check the air pressure it is usually fine, like it doesn't need air at all. However this morning, it was down to maybe 34psi. That's still not a lot though is it? I can't take a good photo of my tyre coz I have a crappy camera on my phone but I googled front tyre wear and this is the closest I can find. My tyre is a Michelin Pilot Road 3.

So, is this a badly squared-off tyre? Or am I getting weaker or something? :eek:

I'm getting a new tyre fitted today but would like to know if: 1) would a squared-off tyre make pushing the bike so damn difficult? and 2) should I start lifting weights? :o

I also have big chicken strips on the tyre, even though I'm riding a long, long time. How do I learn to ride with more lean?

roadsmartwear.jpg

This is not my front tyre but mine does look very similar.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

squared off tyre will just make initial drop when turning in a bit more drastic i reckon, but will have no effect on the perceived weight of the bike when pushing it

it could be a binding brake (front or rear)

when you're back in from a drive, you can wet your finger and see if any of the disks are scorching hot

as for getting rid of your chicken strips, it could just be your bike, your route to work etc. Fronts are considerably harder to get rid of then rears. If you wanna get rid of em safely, do some track days, else you'll probably be pushing yourself beyond your comforts on the roads imo..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Have you got a set of paddock stands?

Throw it up, spin the wheel and if it doesn't turn freely for a little bit, your brakes are binding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Wossack wrote: »
    squared off tyre will just make initial drop when turning in a bit more drastic i reckon, but will have no effect on the perceived weight of the bike when pushing it

it could be a binding brake (front or rear)

when you're back in from a drive, you can wet your finger and see if any of the disks are scorching hot

as for getting rid of your chicken strips, it could just be your bike, your route to work etc. Fronts are considerably harder to get rid of then rears. If you wanna get rid of em safely, do some track days, else you'll probably be pushing yourself beyond your comforts on the roads imo..!

Thanks, yeah I noticed the front disc was roasting hot one of the times I was putting air into tyre. I thought that was odd coz I hadn't travelled far or used the brake that often.

Shoot! I'll probably have to get the brakes looked at too now. I'll tell my mechanic when I drop off the bike today. Thanks again for the info.

no worries - best to get it done asap alright, can result in a warped disc, which are a bit of money unfort..!

Have you got a set of paddock stands?

Throw it up, spin the wheel and if it doesn't turn freely for a little bit, your brakes are binding.

Don't have paddock stands but I suppose I can put it on centre stand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Have had that problem a few times under different circumstances. First time was the bobbins on the front brake disc (so stuck the disc didnt float so rubbed against the pads), second was a seized piston. If its dirty brakes etc its very doable yourself if you take off the brake caliper. I went to my mechanic the second time as i didnt trust myself that much :D

Blondie919 wrote: »
    Don't have paddock stands but I suppose I can put it on centre stand?

you can check the back wheel for free movement that way, but will probably need to get a friend to sit on the pillion seat (or step on the rear wheel rim), to get the front wheel up to check that one

the hot disk mentioned previously, would have me suspecting a binding front brake. Can double check that, by driving a short period only stopping / slowing with the rear brake. Front discs should be cold then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Don't be so caught up on Chicken strips. They're there, so what! I have them on my bike but that's more to do with my commute and not getting out on twisties enough. Plus, I probably don't "attack" corners enough.

If you go out with the mindset of getting rid of them you could end up doing something stupid just to increase the lean of the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭HamSambo

Thanks, yeah I noticed the front disc was roasting hot one of the times I was putting air into tyre. I thought that was odd coz I hadn't travelled far or used the brake that often.

Shoot! I'll probably have to get the brakes looked at too now. I'll tell my mechanic when I drop off the bike today. Thanks again for the info.

The brakes binding on the front is deadly at this time of year. Its like riding with the front brakes applied. If you lean her into a bend with a binding front brake you might overload the front and end up lowsiding it. Get the mechanic to clean all the **** and muck off the brake pistons. Take care bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

I got thrown over the handlebars this time last year because the front brakes were binding, one little push of the piston and it seized completely locked onto the disc.

Had the brakes overhauled on the new bike straight away to stop that happening again. I think its safe to assume you have been riding all through winter commuting and what not, will wreak havoc with pistons getting filthy and binding. I cleaned mine before winter and going to give them another clean down now that the bad weather is on the way out (hopefully)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Give the calipers a bang of a hammer, that frees them up nicely.

not safe though, get em cleaned and greased, not a big job :pac:

Thanks for all the advice. Got sorted yesterday: new tyre, new pads and a couple of other minor adjustments. The dust seals on the caliper were loose on the right hand side and completely off on the left, and piston was very nearly seized. Mechanic cleaned and greased, fitted new pads as they were close to worn and as usual did a damn good job.

Wish it was a sunny day today as the bike is absolutely filthy. She needs a good cleaning. Soon I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Thanks for all the advice. Got sorted yesterday: new tyre, new pads and a couple of other minor adjustments. The dust seals on the caliper were loose on the right hand side and completely off on the left, and piston was very nearly seized. Mechanic cleaned and greased, fitted new pads as they were close to worn and as usual did a damn good job.

Wish it was a sunny day today as the bike is absolutely filthy. She needs a good cleaning. Soon I hope.

I'd advise you get yourself some new o rings all round the calipers. They're not strictly supposed to be reused. And if they came out once, they're probably stretched.

Advertisement