Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seagate 600 Series 480GB 2.5inch SATA-III SSD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Think I might pull the trigger on this, thanks. What else do I need to install it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Why the odd number of GB's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Etnies wrote: »

Its quite common on ssd drives. Its determined by the number of physical blocks of memory they put in the drive. Intel, Crucial and others have the same odd sizes in a lot of their ssds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Etnies wrote: »

Its a probably a 512gb drive with 7% overprovisioning leaving 480gb when formatted you'll only have about 446GB free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Have Ebuyer started delivering to Ireland again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

machalla wrote: »
    Have Ebuyer started delivering to Ireland again?

No, but you can get it posted to parcelmotel for 11stg I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nanoro

free_man wrote: »
    No, but you can get it posted to parcelmotel for 11stg I think.

I just paid £8 for postage to Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nanoro

My order was cancelled... Seems that they won't accept a credit/debit card which is registered to an Irish address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Some sort of issue with vat I think is why they claimed they stopped shipping here. That might explain the Irish credit card cancellation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

If you're having issues with your credit card then ring them. Lots of people in the microserver thread had that problem but got it sorted with a call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Virtual

I was thinking about getting this when I got the e-mail this morning, but I ordered a 250 SSD yesterday from Amazon.
    I might order this still and return the one to Amazon.

However, last time I tried to order something from eBuyer my order got cancelled and after contacting them they simply refunded the money and never said if I can actually order.

Anybody had any luck with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

Interested also - but has anyone successfully ordered one of these yet to parcel motel? How did you do it?

Also - I see a free (5 day) postage option.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I wouldn't touch Seagate with a bargepole, they are the worst SSD and HD manufacturers.

I wouldn't touch Seagate with a bargepole, they are the worst SSD and HD manufacturers.

That is true. I usually prefer WD for HDD and Samsung for SSD is possible.
    That being said, the offer is really good though.

I get where you are coming from with mechanical HDs from them and might agree somewhat - but I cannot find One bad review online about this exact SSD drive - all reviews are 9/10 or better - including the really technical ones like this.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5454/seagate-600-ssd-st480hm000-480gb-ssd-review/index.html

“Roll it back”

Ok - so Ebuyer are a pain to deal with- ordered it - but it went to Cancelled after 15 minutes.

Email I got from them said
    Your order has been cancelled for one of the following reasons:

- You've asked us to cancel your order,
    - An item on your order has been discontinued or is now out of stock.

Their website still right now says 96 Available and price hasnt changed - (and I didnt cancel it) :/

So they not deliver to Parcel Motel?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

ozmo wrote: »
    Ok - so Ebuyer are a pain to deal with- ordered it - but it went to Cancelled after 15 minutes.

Email I got from them said
    Your order has been cancelled for one of the following reasons:

- You've asked us to cancel your order,
    - An item on your order has been discontinued or is now out of stock.

Their website still right now says 96 Available and price hasnt changed - (and I didnt cancel it) :/

So they not deliver to Parcel Motel?

This happened me too :(

As I said, same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago when they had an offer on a keyboard I wanted. I tried my ROI address and my PM NI address with no luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

What about hitachi and OCZ.

Generally only use WD for hard drives, but I always thought since the Samsung/Seagate business deal, Seagate were somewhat better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I have two crucial m500 240gb. They worked out at €90 something each on amazon prime trial I have.

Review here: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5600/crucial-m500-240gb-ssd-review/index5.html

• Advertisement

Thor wrote: »

Generally only use WD for hard drives, but I always thought since the Samsung/Seagate business deal, Seagate were somewhat better.

Its seems to be constantly changing - so some peoples opinions may be based on drives from long ago.

I've always stuck with Seagate because from the early days I've found the drives to be quieter than anything else out there (there is an engineer menu you could- and I think still can - enter to change the drives acoustics). Funny reason I guess - but I preferred their sound to other drives in a quiet room.

I tried the OCZ SSD (30Gb) when it came out - very cheap - but wasn't impressed at the speed - drive was noticeably stuttery.
    Using Samsung Pro (250G) now in same machine and its really really good - but it was expensive.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

nanoro wrote: »
    My order was cancelled... Seems that they won't accept a credit/debit card which is registered to an Irish address.

I had the same problem a few months ago. Found a solution using an Irish CC. Just use Google Wallet and ship to Parcel Motel. Not sure why it works but it did for me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Thor wrote: »

Article from 2 months ago proves otherwise.

I did read that - but they are using desktop drives the wrong way - even say so themselves - they are cutting corners not buying server drives for a server environment.

"Part of the problem, Backblaze says, is these drives are designed to spin down when not in use to save power. That’s a great feature for a home PC user, but in an industrial environment Backblaze says the drive would spin down only to spin back up a few minutes later. The end result being more wear and tear on the drive than it was designed for."

Anyway - those are mechanical drives - and I guess question was about SSD - which is an entirely different set of things that can go wrong.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

This isn't really the thread for this as it's a bargain alert of a Samsung SSD, but nothing the less, another little tidbit inside that article.
    Backblaze said this particular model is pretty bad, but it cautions not to read too much into it. The company received these specific drives as warranty replacements, so they were probably refurbished with wear and tear on them by the time they met Backblaze’s HDD taskmasters.

They actually used replacement drives and even think they were refurbished with wear and tear already on them. Hardly a fair study.

I wouldn't really put to much weight in that article, but if you do. the numbers state the failure rate on the Segate 4TB is 4-percet over a year which is the same as all WD drives and only 2-percent higher than the Hitachi's

I'm not saying Seagate have a stellar record, and to be honest, I only have 1 Segate drive at the moment. The rest are either WD or Samsung (I miss Sammy drives). I still think they aren't that bad.

Rather coincidence, but I just shipped Seagate a Samsung drive(at least 3 years old now) that they are replacing. They have been great with the RMA as there was some issues with shipping which resulted in it falling out of warranty, but they're covering it none the less.

Queried cancellation - Official reply from EBuyer - they don't like ParcelMotel...

Please be advised that the order was cancelled due to issues with the delivery address selected.

If you wish the account to be reactivated, we can do this for you, but you would need to use a different delivery address.

Kind Regards,

Ebuyer.com
    Customer Support Team

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

Weird
    Got delivered for us through parcel motel ..

Weird
    Got delivered for us through parcel motel ..

:( no fair.

Maybe its how I entered the address that flagged something... probably should have left out the Parcel Motel name bit.

PMXXX Parcel Motel
    1A McKinney Road, Mallusk
    etc.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

I'll check our address shortly and revert

• Advertisement
Advertisement