Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lahinch Tourist Advice!

• 28-02-2014 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Looking for some tourism advice for Lahinch.

Heading down to Lahinch this weekend. I heard the Prom etc is re-opened, and we want to go down for a weekend to help support the Local economy get back on it's feet.

We're staying in the Atlantic. We will arrive @ Cliffs of Moher around 2pm tomorrow, and aim to get back to Lahinch for around 5pm.

We both love seafood, can you recommend a good place for dinner tomorrow night?

Also, we are looking for activities for Sunday morning, thinking Ailwee caves unless I can get some other suggestions?

Many thanks!
    BH

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Food in the bar in the Atlantic itself is pretty good.

For something upmarket try Vaughan Lodge in the village itself, or Bartra (out towards Miltown) or The Village Inn (Vaughans) in Liscannor.

If the weather is good Sunday what about taking the cliff walk from Liscannor to the cliffs or even Doolin?

Ailwee Caves are ok (once is enough) but again if the weather is good the Birds of Prey flying is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Bray Header

Hi Henry,

Many thanks for your response.

I've read the same about the Atlantic. The plan is to get back to the hotel in time for the Liverpool match, so maybe some drinks and snacks there, and off for dinner around 8 or 9.

That cliff walk sounds magic, just googled it. Defo gonna do that on Sunday if the weather is clear.

Thank so much, can't wait for my weekend away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭cgarvey

we want to go down for a weekend to help support the Local economy get back on it's feet.

Fair play, that attitude is commendable and we could do with lots more of it. Hope you enjoy the trip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Food wise I'm partial to Kenny's Bar in Lahinch. http://www.yelp.ie/biz/kennys-bar-lahinch-2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Lucky you OP..I love that area and holiday there every year..Aliwee caves are beautiful as are the birds of prey and the coffee shop is reasonable with some tasty snacks...We also LOVE Doolin...hope that the pier isnt too badly damaged as saw some photos after the storm and it seemed to be very badly hit..we always eat in McCanns bar there and the food is always lovely..You will be spoilt for choice as the whole area is lovely ...enjoy your weekend...I cant wait to head back for our summer hols..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

The Wild Honey Inn in Lisdoonvarna beats them all in my opinion

Had a great day up on the cliffs today.

Asked the receptionist in the visitor centre about food, told her that I wanted to go to Bartra, but apparently it's a summer place. She recommended Vaughans in Liscannor. A hidden gem! Loads of awards, and amazing fresh fish. She had the best fish and chips I've ever tasted, and I'm a connoisseur :) I had cod with leeks and pancetta, it was unreal.

Stuffed and back in the hotel now with a bottle of Jameson, before we hit the local bars!

Thanks for all the replies. The OH is a florist, and has spotted a perfumery on the way home, so that's the plan for tomorrow.

Cheers,
    BH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

The perfumery is lovely, if nearby Cassidy's pub and restaurant is open it's a great spot for lunch, nice view too.
    Had a great day up on the cliffs today.

Asked the receptionist in the visitor centre about food, told her that I wanted to go to Bartra, but apparently it's a summer place. She recommended Vaughans in Liscannor. A hidden gem! Loads of awards, and amazing fresh fish. She had the best fish and chips I've ever tasted, and I'm a connoisseur :) I had cod with leeks and pancetta, it was unreal.

Stuffed and back in the hotel now with a bottle of Jameson, before we hit the local bars!

Thanks for all the replies. The OH is a florist, and has spotted a perfumery on the way home, so that's the plan for tomorrow.

Cheers,
    BH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The perfumery is fantastic. Got my girlfriend something there for valentines and she loved it. Nice food there as well although I'm not sure if the cafe has opened up for Spring yet.

Cafe is closed so open to suggestions for a really nice lunch on way home..thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

haybob wrote: »
    The Wild Honey Inn in Lisdoonvarna beats them all in my opinion

You know what, everytime I've been there it has been awful.

We actually had to leave the first time, and on numerous occasions I have had bad experiences there. I must be unlucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Mr. G wrote: »
    You know what, everytime I've been there it has been awful.

We actually had to leave the first time, and on numerous occasions I have had bad experiences there. I must be unlucky!

I haven't been there yet. Heard great reports about it. How come you kept going back there if it was as bad as you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭bonerjams03

Hi - sorry for the bump. Can anyone recommend just a good old fashioned chipper in Lahinch - I'm entertaining a group of tourists for a few days and one day I think it would be fun to get a traditional chipper. Nothing fancy - I know the good places in town so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

IRcolm wrote: »
    Hi - sorry for the bump. Can anyone recommend just a good old fashioned chipper in Lahinch - I'm entertaining a group of tourists for a few days and one day I think it would be fun to get a traditional chipper. Nothing fancy - I know the good places in town so far.

Liscannor Bay fish and chips just out the road in Liscannor is some of the best fish and chips I've ever had. well worth the drive out!
    nowhere in lahinch that I'm aware of comes close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,481 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Liscannor Bay fish and chips just out the road in Liscannor is some of the best fish and chips I've ever had. well worth the drive out!
    nowhere in lahinch that I'm aware of comes close

Is that open this year though?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Is that the same as the chipper that has opened in Ennis in the Market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

Or if you head the other way, the Sugar Island Cafe in Quilty do lovely fresh cod & home made chips at a very reasonable price!

Advertisement