Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada

Options
  • 28-02-2014 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi , does any 1 know . I got the canada working visa last year , march 13, I haven't traveled yet , but will it run out next month or can I extend it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

It says on the letter but normally have 12 months to enter
    You cannot extend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Use it asap!

Or edit it with my name in photoshop and sell it to me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

You have to enter Canada before March 13th of this year

• Registered Users Posts: 47 aerotuned

I know I would if i could lad. I'm torn between leavening and stay n,have bits of work. pity there non transferable

Or edit it with my name in photoshop and sell it to me :pac:[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

if possible i would go before that and come back to ireland just so you have the 2 year visa which is effective from the date you get it.

• Advertisement

Ya was thinking that alright and now with aer lingus flight to canada at 250€ looks like a Holliday for the time being.
    Or is the grass just greener I wonder ?

aerotuned wrote: »
    Ya was thinking that alright and now with aer lingus flight to canada at 250€ looks like a Holliday for the time being.
    Or is the grass just greener I wonder ?

Fly over to activate it, don't waste it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 treefiddy

I'm in the same boat I have till the 14th of march to activate my visa but I'm lacking the courage to travel alone to a huge country where I know absolutley no one, I wish I had more time I don't know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

treefiddy wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat I have till the 14th of march to activate my visa but I'm lacking the courage to travel alone to a huge country where I know absolutley no one, I wish I had more time I don't know what to do.

Fly over to activate it, it will give you more time to decide. Don't waste it!!

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how I take money or use my ulster bank card in Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

Does anyone know how I take money or use my ulster bank card in Canada?

Once is a visa or mastercard . Most atms will let you withdraw .factor In Costs with that too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Dude get a return flight fly over check out a big city for a week or a hour, then fly home, you will regret it down the line

GrumPy wrote: »
    Fly over to activate it, it will give you more time to decide. Don't waste it!!
    Ya I'll agree there can be tough alright have n some 1 to hook up with makes the trip so much easier , only other thing would be go with a agent at least straight in to a job with people and they set u up. Or have a job set up before u head

That's the plans now, to go for two weeks and check the place out. I'll either love it or come home and find I have more of an appreciation for home and what I left. I don't know a single person there and have never travelled, its scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Wexman2213

Hi im in the same boat to, on two minds weather to travel alone or not, what type of work will you be looking for when you arrive?

You should go, I know it seems very daunting but worth going over for a week or two to activate your visa. There will be lots others in the same boat alone in a foreign land but you'll soon make friends. I would take any kind work I can get , I'm not an educated man or have any qualifications apart from a forklift licence if that's any use over there, so it will be blue collar type work I be seeking.

Hi, I notice you're in Calgary what's the craic in that place? is casual work easy to get and accommodation etc..

Hi, I notice you're in Calgary what's the craic in that place? is casual work easy to get and accommodation etc..

I think your asking me the question? Calgary is a good place find work might take a while to find your chosen job, but I like it here except for the weather during the winter which can be very very cold, saying that spring is almost here and the temperatures are gradually getting better, the summers are great here temperatures above 20 most of the time and sometimes above 30.
    Accommodation can be a bit more difficult to get as you need to take into account access to transportation and shops. I stayed in the wicked hostel for the first month then got a job then found a room. Calgary isn't the cheapest city to live in but once your working it will not seem too expensive.
    What kind of work are you looking for?

Yes I think I will do this , flights are about 500 return at the moment so might just make a trip to activate visa . I have few friends of friends over that makes it little easy r. Be shame to waste visa as don't think u will be left back in again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Im in a similar situation, got mine last year and its only valid to May 13th i believe. Reading through this thread has got me thinking. I wouldnt mind travelling to check out Montreal just for a week to see if its a place i would like to settle. I have heard good reviews of Montreal and apparently not having french is not the be all and end all in terms of finding work. I work in i.t, must check out prices of flights to montreal.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Just a little note for anyone thinking about coming over to activate their visas, you will still need proof of funds and 2 years insurance. I was asked for proof of both of these coming through immigration last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JenL

Phoenix wrote: »
    Could i use a Canadian company for my insurance like blue cross as they seem to offer health insurance for non Canadians

I think you would have to look into whether a Canadian company would insure a non Canadian citizen and if it qualifies under IEC guidelines. Both Blue Insurance (backpackers insurance) and goforless.ie insurances do cover for the two year visas. Just be careful to read the small print, they both have specific times that you can spend in Ireland 'on holiday'. Goforless had more days - I think it was 2 weeks per year (don't quote me on that) so it might not work. Or maybe you could ask them before buying insurance if you could 'pause' it for a certain amount of time so you could go back to Ireland and reactivate it when you go back to Canada? :confused:
    Maybe if someone has done this they could advise??

This heading is complicated , wouldn't mind it but what's the work like over for a construction worker ? Easy get ? Money like ? Any 1 know emailed out a few cv but no reply on any thing

You should go, I know it seems very daunting but worth going over for a week or two to activate your visa. There will be lots others in the same boat alone in a foreign land but you'll soon make friends. I would take any kind work I can get , I'm not an educated man or have any qualifications apart from a forklift licence if that's any use over there, so it will be blue collar type work I be seeking.

When you thinking about going?
    Im waiting for the weather to warm up abit ober there first, would like to go to alberta or bc not sure which yet do? Anyone reccomend the best spot for a lad looking for construction work perferable carpentry?

Wexman2213 wrote: »
    When you thinking about going?
    Im waiting for the weather to warm up abit ober there first, would like to go to alberta or bc not sure which yet do? Anyone reccomend the best spot for a lad looking for construction work perferable carpentry?

I reckon Calgary would be a good start.

gary27 wrote: »
    I reckon Calgary would be a good start.
    Cheers gary
    I was looking at fort macmurray, it looks like a happening spot with loads of work going on ,

Cheers gary
    I was looking at fort macmurray, it looks like a happening spot with loads of work going on ,

The lifestyle wouldn't be as great up there as compared to calgary but at least the weather is starting to improve here, I do know that here in calgary there are jobs for carpenters and money wouldn't be too either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

Cheers gary

Fort McMurray wouldn't exactly be the "happening" spot in terms of social life (and I'm not talking about drinking). Calgary or Edmonton would be a better option for a balanced lifestyle but it's all about what you prefer at the end of the day. The real money is made in the camp jobs in fort mc but there is little to no social life and long working hours (i.e. you live in a camp and not in the actual town of Fort Mc itself).

Just something to consider while deciding.

Advertisement