Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pick Your Engerland Squard for Brazil

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I misread, thought it was Chile, wouldnt be surprised if Costa rica hold them to a draw, another tournament, another failure from the "home of football" LOL! :rolleyes: Personally I dont see them getting out of the group, we will see though...
    Wishful thinking on the Costa Rica statement, they're definitely more likely to go through than to go out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Looks like the weakest England team for a long time, Jags the best defender, Henderson likely to start, a bunch of kids for wingers.

I think football is coming home earlier than most this year.

Really I think they don't look bad at all. There s quite an 11 in there, and some...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

9df9c3cc91d18e04e10f8b47594ef048.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Not sure on the squad but just a general question. Would you's like to see England do well? I've found, even in just the 10 years ive been in Ireland, that the attitude towards the English national team is softening and that many PL fans would like to see their players do well.

OR, it could just be that im now hanging around with people who are about more grown up and have less of the old fashioned hatred attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Godge wrote: »
    Rather misinformed comment.

Wilshere has only one straight red card in his career.

Henderson has played a similar amount of games to Wilshere with 16 yellow cards to Wilshere's 20. Hardly a great difference.

Ross Barkley in his shorter career is acquiring yellows as fast as Wilshere.

So you draw a conclusion based on one straight red card plus a load of bias.

How many years was Wilshere out injured??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

England would be insane not to take advantage of the chemistry Liverpool have shown going forward. With England having a better defense than Liverpool, the opportunity is there for a really strong showing - that is if Hodgson would let them play that way, which he probably won't.

If I was Hodgson, i'd allow the front 4 to do exactly what Liverpool's do - with Rooney subbed in for Suarez, and Wilshire subbed in for Coutinho.

Hart
    Johnson---Jags--Cahill---Cole (or Baines, both great so doesn't matter)
    Henderson--Gerrard
    Wilshire
    Rooney
    Sturridge
    Sterling

With Rooney nominally left, but just as with Suarez, the front three interchanging constantly to take advantage of space.

Considering the chemistry the liverpool lads have, coupled with the footballing intelligence of Rooney and Wilshire, that team would be fearsome imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

0fdc6d43ac4e1c6ede26f64fc4da488a.png

GK

Walker Cahill Jagielka Baines

Carrick
    ----Gerrard
    Wilshere

--Rooney
    Sterling

Sturridge

Rooney with roaming allowance. Like for like changes possible in most positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

Rooney doesn't have the work-rate or intensity of Suarez to replace him in a like-for-like swap. At Euro 2012 he made no attempt at all to track and close down Pirlo, who ran the show. It's hard to play him off Sturridge as it will leave them outnumbered in the middle. Would mean pushing one wide (Rooney on current form) in bigger games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,471 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    England would be insane not to take advantage of the chemistry Liverpool have shown going forward. With England having a better defense than Liverpool, the opportunity is there for a really strong showing - that is if Hodgson would let them play that way, which he probably won't.

If I was Hodgson, i'd allow the front 4 to do exactly what Liverpool's do - with Rooney subbed in for Suarez, and Wilshire subbed in for Coutinho.

Hart
    Johnson---Jags--Cahill---Cole (or Baines, both great so doesn't matter)
    Henderson--Gerrard
    Wilshire
    Rooney
    Sturridge
    Sterling

With Rooney nominally left, but just as with Suarez, the front three interchanging constantly to take advantage of space.

Considering the chemistry the liverpool lads have, coupled with the footballing intelligence of Rooney and Wilshire, that team would be fearsome imo.

Problem is right there. You just know the team is going to be far more dumb than that, probably a 4-4-2 with Welbeck up front and Rooney on the left or something of that ilk.

Surprised by the amount of calls for Andy Carroll and almost none at all for on form Adam Johnson. He doesn't deserve to start at all but maybe on the squad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    almost none at all for on form Adam Johnson.

Form is temporary, lack of genuine talent is permanent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Hodgson isnt going to play attacking football a la Brendan Rodgers. It will be defensively minded football like David Moyes.

Also, giving Wayne Rooney 'license to roam' or 'creative freedom' just means he drops deep to receive the ball too much/chases the football too much for a striker and hits hollywood passes for the sake of it out the wing so they can pump crosses into the box ad nauseum. The english fans will love it though because its the type of fluff they like to see from their players.

If I was picking the team

4-2-3-1

Hart; Walker, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines; Gerrard, Barry; Oxlade-Chamberlain, Rooney, Lallana; Sturridge

Right Back is the real weakness for Hodgson. All poor to mediocre options really.

They've some very interesting options for attacking midfield. Could easily go with other options and it would arguably as good.

Bit late to throw him in to it now, but I'd have Joel Ward right back. An excellent player, suited to Hodgsons' style and his versatility would give the option of taking another attacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

my England team 4-3-3

______________Hart______________
    Walker__Cahill_____Jagielka___Baines
    ___Henderson__Gerrard____Ox-Chamberlain
    Sturridge_____Rooney________Sterling

there not going to keep the ball so will need pace to counter

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Given Andros Townsends form for England, I am surprised to see him so little in teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Pick your England Squad for Brazil

OK

GK - Banks

RB - Neville
    CB - Moore (c)
    CB - Butcher
    LB - Pearce

CM - Robson
    CM - Charlton

AM - Gascoinge
    AM - Keegan
    FR - Matthews

S - Lineker

England might not be going home early with this team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Given Andros Townsends form for England, I am surprised to see him so little in teams

One trick pony imo, had a good debut thats about it.

Anyways the defence and keeper largely pick themselves. In midfield if hodge is going to start gerrard every game, which he assumably will do, hell need to play Henderson and wilshere in front if him, both energetic runners who will do a ton of work in the soaring heat which will be a big problem for gerrard at 34.
    That of course leaves the headache of shunting one of rooney or sturridge out wide with another winger occupying the other flank. Probably worth it to play a midfield 3.
    If he plays a 4231 of sorts he'll have to start henderson or wilshere beside gerrard, with rooney playing off sturridge and sterling and oxlade chamberlain as the wingers whom offer a goal threat and a massive work rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Kieran Gibbs may aswell retire from international football it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Is Sterling a cert to get in at this stage? Had a decent bet on him getting in at 7s mins after the Walcott injury broke (was too big anyway I thought)

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Is Sterling a cert to get in at this stage? Had a decent bet on him getting in at 7s mins after the Walcott injury broke (was too big anyway I thought)

Short of injury I think he'll be on the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I can see England going home in the first round, Uruguay arent going to be bloody tough & I'd expect Italy to have England, I wouldnt be surprised if they finish bottom of their group...

Uruguay are overrated. Aside from Suarez there's not a whole lot to fear. I'd be surprised if England didn't finish ahead of them in the group.

It will be the same story as always for England. They'll get through the group and go out early in the knockout phase. Not because they will underachieve or anything, but because that's the standard of their squad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Paully D wrote: »
    Uruguay are overrated. Aside from Suarez there's not a whole lot to fear. I'd be surprised if England didn't finish ahead of them in the group

Edinson-Cavani1.jpg

Uruguay have regressed since the last WC (at least by performances in qualifying) but Hodgson will probably be cautious and go for a draw. They'll probably get a draw off Italy too, who will beat Uruguay so England will get second. It's not a group where winning is essential. Obviously it'll have an effect down the line but there's too many variables to look past the round of last 16, which could be much worse for runner-up in a group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

rosskind wrote: »
    Rooney doesn't have the work-rate or intensity of Suarez to replace him in a like-for-like swap. At Euro 2012 he made no attempt at all to track and close down Pirlo, who ran the show. It's hard to play him off Sturridge as it will leave them outnumbered in the middle. Would mean pushing one wide (Rooney on current form) in bigger games.

Yeah that's what I would be thinking as well.

You can't carry two CF these days.

Rooney isn't great behind the striker, doesn't create enough, can't carry the ball and doesn't defend enough anymore.

They are better off playing Wilshere in that advanced midfield role, similar to that role Fabregas plays.

It's a brave decision benching Rooney, but if they want a balanced team it's either Sturridge upfront or Rooney.

They won't last long with both Sturridge and Rooney in the team, against the likes of Germany, Spain, Argentina etc.

It's about time an English manager made a big decision based on tactics and not keeping the media happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Some ridiculous comments in here. Love that Gerrard and Henderson get overrun so much by teams in the PL but are somehow good enough to do it against Italy and Uruguay. Rooney, no matter what kind of form they're both currently in, is a far better striker than Sturridge. Welbeck and Cleverley will be on the plane. A team with Lallana in front of Gerrard or Wilshere and either Carrick, Barry or Milner, even wouldn't be sure Gerrard would be the best choice against Uruguay or Costa Rica, behind Rooney, Sturridge and another who would have been Walcott so probably Welbeck all interchanging would be best.

Liam O wrote: »
    Some ridiculous comments in here. Love that Gerrard and Henderson get overrun so much by teams in the PL but are somehow good enough to do it against Italy and Uruguay. Rooney, no matter what kind of form they're both currently in, is a far better striker than Sturridge. Welbeck and Cleverley will be on the plane. A team with Lallana in front of Gerrard or Wilshere and either Carrick, Barry or Milner, even wouldn't be sure Gerrard would be the best choice against Uruguay or Costa Rica, behind Rooney, Sturridge and another who would have been Walcott so probably Welbeck all interchanging would be best.

I think the rest of Europe would have a right chuckle if the form striker in any top league was not played. No reason not to have both though, use pools formation with Rooney in for Suarez, and Wilshire or Lallana in for Coutinho.

Gerrard and Henderson also don't really get overrun anyway - they must have some control of a game for the team to create so so many chances. It's pools hilarious defensive line which causes the problems, so as long as England improve on that, they could actually field a Team, rather than a bunch of individuals - something I've not seen for a long time. Henderson, Gerrard, Sturridge and Sterling know each other inside out, compliment each other, and create an insane number of goals together. Rooney and Wilshire or Lallana would fit into that style beautifully too IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Liam O wrote: »
    Welbeck and Cleverley will be on the plane.

Lol no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I think the rest of Europe would have a right chuckle if the form striker in any top league was not played.

That didn't seem to bother Spain too much when Llorente was tearing up La Liga.

If England managers had been less concerned with form and more concerned with tactics and gameplan they wouldn't have had Gerard and Lampard tripping over each other for ten years and winning sweet feck all.

Liverpool's first use of this formation was when they were awful and completely out-run in midfield against Villa. Since then it's success involves starting at a frenetic pace, getting an early lead and being lethal on the counter attack (again Rooney is a step down for Suarez in this system). They managed to do that at home vs Everton, Arsenal and Swansea. Away from home, they haven't scored early and have not had the same results, drawing with West Brom, losing to Arsenal and only beating Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

peabutler wrote: »
    Kieran Gibbs may aswell retire from international football it seems.

Gibbs is a tough one. Cole, for all that he's not playing much, is hard to drop. Gibbs for me has been the best English LB this year, but lack of experience means he's unlikely to get on the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

rosskind wrote: »
    Liverpool's first use of this formation was when they were awful and completely out-run in midfield against Villa. Since then it's success involves starting at a frenetic pace, getting an early lead and being lethal on the counter attack (again Rooney is a step down for Suarez in this system). They managed to do that at home vs Everton, Arsenal and Swansea. Away from home, they haven't scored early and have not had the same results, drawing with West Brom, losing to Arsenal and only beating Fulham.
    its not counter attack Liverpool are playing more so high press & winning it high up the pitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Edinson-Cavani1.jpg

Cheers, I knew I was forgetting someone but didn't have the energy to check at 12:30am :pac: They're still overrated though.

MD1990 wrote: »
    its not counter attack Liverpool are playing more so high press & winning it high up the pitch

High press at first, yes, but they don't keep it up for 90 minutes. Once they get an early goal, they're devasting. Goals 3,4 and 5 vs Arsenal. Same against Everton, and when the hammering Tottenham a while back. When they don't get an early goal (and can't play on the counter attack) they aren't as good.

Advertisement