Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocked Websites - What's doing it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

vicwatson wrote: »

I've explained that my black screen keeps blanking out when I try to follow the instructions to ping so cannot see the results as it dissapears before I can read them

You need to select 'windows key' + 'R'
    Type in 'cmd.exe'
    A box should pop up
    Type 'ping www.google.com' (or whatever site)

A lot of sites block ping so it may not be all that useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Back in post #24 you're saying that your laptops DNS servers are set to openDNS.

Whoever created the OpenDNS associated with your current ip / computer blocked these website categories.

Either these DNS server values are being provided by the DHCP server settings on your router, or they have been manually set as the DNS servers for your laptop, under control panel / network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

ressem wrote: »
    Either these DNS server values are being provided by the DHCP server settings on your router, or they have been manually set as the DNS servers for your laptop, under control panel / network.

This exactly, either the dhcp server in the router is set to give out opendns or your pc is manually configured with static dns. You'll have to remove the entry. Look for the dhcp section on your router, it should be under lan. What OS does your pc run? We can post details on how to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

degsie wrote: »
    From your browser try http://195.99.196.230 and can you access the site?

Just tried that, when I click on the link as provided it comes up in the browser www.figleaves.com/uk but doesn't open and them the OpenDNS blocking webpage comes up again :mad:

Somehow it appears that blocking rules have been set up on your OpenDNS, see here:
    https://support.opendns.com/entries/26514730-Web-Content-Filtering-and-Security

Temporally change the DNS setting on your PC to Google DNS (8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4) and see if that enables access to the sites.

• Advertisement

The hosts file is located at C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC and is just called 'hosts' with no extension. This is a text file and you can open it with notepad.

Ok I can get there but what to do then?
    You need to select 'windows key' + 'R'
    Type in 'cmd.exe'
    A box should pop up
    Type 'ping www.google.com' (or whatever site)

A lot of sites block ping so it may not be all that useful.

This works alright and fires up a lot of numbers etc:confused:
    ressem wrote: »
    Back in post #24 you're saying that your laptops DNS servers are set to openDNS.

Whoever created the OpenDNS associated with your current ip / computer blocked these website categories.

Control Panel / network connections, don't have Control Panel /network ???
    This exactly, either the dhcp server in the router is set to give out opendns or your pc is manually configured with static dns. You'll have to remove the entry. Look for the dhcp section on your router, it should be under lan. What OS does your pc run? We can post details on how to remove it.

Went into my router looked under LAN

This box is ticked - "Use Router as DHCP Server " then beneath there is a Starting IP address and a Finishing IP address

I'm running Windows XP Pro

Yis are all legends and thanks for your help thus far, it's much appreciated

Cheers, so I put the following in

Existing

Preferred DNS Server 208.67.222.222
    Alternate DNS Server 208.67.220.220

Change to

Preferred DNS Server 8. 8. 8. 8
    Alternate DNS Server 8. 8. 4. 4

??

Cheers, so I put the following in

Existing

Change to

Preferred DNS Server 8. 8. 8. 8
    Alternate DNS Server 8. 8. 4. 4

??

Yup

Yup

Ok I thought I would do this step after running SuperAntiSpyware which finally was finished off this morning. I deleted and quaratined all the "threats" that were found - 49 in all.

I then ran Malwarebytes and it found 21 threats so I also deleted them through the software.

I then restarted my laptop

I just tried to go to figleaves.com and lo behold I can finally access it

I hadn't put in those DNS settings but it seems to be ok now

What the heck could have stopped it, could it have been that, what I thought was a Trojan virus, Incredimail - would that have affected/infected my computer to cause the problem????

Is their malware that can do this type of thing to ones computer?

Fingers crossed its ok now

And once again I say thanks to all the contributors here for helping me out

• Advertisement

thumbs-and-ammo-5.jpg

Awesome! Glad you got it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

You might as well change your dns back to OpenDns (or leave as is if you've not changed), it's been saving you from being redirected to a dodgy page when you had a nasty

You might as well change your dns back to OpenDns (or leave as is if you've not changed), it's been saving you from being redirected to a dodgy page when you had a nasty

I've left it at this -

Existing

That ok?

I've left it at this -

Existing

That ok?

Just change it to this at the modem/router so all your devices are covered.

Advertisement