Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing NAS (Zyxel NSA325) remotely

Options
  • 28-02-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Picked up one of the above recently after seeing it discussed on here - been using it so far just to back up my stuff but want to expand its use now that I have a bit more time.

Being able to access all files on the NAS using the Zmedia app (I'm using it on iPad/iPhone) is great but only works on the same network. What's the best way to access files like this remotely?

Also, has anyone got the Pyload package working well?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

As long as you have a public IP address or you use something like Dyndns you can set up an OpenVPN server on your home computer and OpenVPN clients on your mobile devices. This will enable you to make a secure encrypted connection to your home network and access your NAS drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Install ffp then you can get loads more done, like remote torrents via transmission, install ssh and ftp server, it's how I do mine. Download torrents then ssh into box to transfer them to the right folders with midnight commander.
    Probably an easier automated way to do it but this works, also if you can it's dead handy having a subsonic server on there too stream all your music, no limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

OpenVPN - am I right that I'd have to install that on the PC and have that on when I need to access it? I was thinking about leaving the NAS on all the time (not necessarily the PC) for those times I might need to access files unexpectedly.

FFP - been trying for the last few days to get this to show up in my packages list but no such luck yet. I'm running 4.7 and have changed the file to look for packages on the beta server but it still won't appear. Would it be worth just going with Stick FFP?

Pyload - for anyone that has had problems with this it started to work better (though not perfectly) when I forwarded port 7272 from my router.

Browsing remotely - I forgot I can just open the NAS (using DynDNS) in a browser and navigate the files that way. Not perfect but it's an option.

Stick ffp means leaving the usb stick in all the time. That turned me off it. I installed it so long ago I forget how it's done but if I remember correctly it was via the beta pkg method like yourself. Did you reboot after changing the file to look for? Can't remember if it's needed or not but there is a thread on ba about the server that might help or Google for guides.

Does this help? Have a look at that forum. Loads of guides too.
    http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=249&t=14175

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭cianr

Thanks very much Ste - will tinker with it a bit more when I have some free time, maybe over the weekend.

Thanks again!

Advertisement