Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in NYC

Options
  • 28-02-2014 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

Hi,

@Mods: did a quick search, nothing came up.

Visiting NYC for the first time for 7 nights to see a friend over Paddies week. (Wednesday to Thursday)
    I'll arrive a little after lunchtime and he will be working. Anyone recommend sight seeing I can do on my own?
    (Bearing in mind I'll have a rucsack with my own stuff for the week, and some stuff he asked me to bring over; with no where to dump it until he clocks off work...)

I'm interested in pretty much anything to check out!
    Cheers.

EDIT: Regarding spending money there. Is it advised to bring dollars/ use normal debit card (might be charges) use credit card (are cash withdrawals on credit charged there??

I've seen the travel mastercards An Post do, could be a good option. Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

GrumPy wrote: »

did a quick search, nothing came up.

29185-really-dog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'll arrive a little after lunchtime and he will be working. Anyone recommend sight seeing I can do on my own?

Which airport do you arrive at?

And where does he live?

I'm just guessing but it'll probably take you at least a couple of hours (or more) to find your way from the airport to his apartment so you probably wont have too long to wait for him.

EDIT: Regarding spending money there. Is it advised to bring dollars/ use normal debit card (might be charges) use credit card (are cash withdrawals on credit charged there??

I've seen the travel mastercards An Post do, could be a good option. Any tips?

Credit card is best. Next comes Debit card as long as it has a Mastercard or Visa logo on it.

There'll probably be a charge for "foreign exchange" when you get $$ using the card but there always is isnt there?

Id have $100 cash on you when you arrive just for convenience, train fare, bus fare, a pint or two while you wait for your buddy, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Euthro

All banks in NYC charge for using non-bank cards and you will be charged a conversion fee, 3dollars for bank charge, if you use any non-branch ATMs it will be more ie ones in shops bars etc. Takes an hour to get from JFK via train subway to manhattan, $55 for a cab+ $10 for tolls and you have to tip on top of that. Maybe someone else could help you with sight seeing but with bags and being jet lagged i would recommend bus tours, queuing for any major tourist attraction with your luggage would be torture. Could your friend leave a key with someone for you to drop your stuff off and go to the city from there ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

The anpost currency cards are worth checking. We used one on a couple of trips to the US, no exchange charges per transaction and they are accepted anywhere that takes MasterCard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Which airport do you arrive at?

And where does he live?

JFK
    Woodside (Queens)
    dave2pvd wrote: »
    29185-really-dog.jpg

Yes, really. Try it yourself and you'll see. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Things not to do include buying a genuine ny hot dog/chili dog/ pretzel etc from a street vendor. They do not taste how you think they taste. The movies lied!!!

Things to do? Catch a jazz set at the blue note in Greenwich. Pricey-ish, but you'll be sitting ten feet from some of the finest musicians on earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Yes, really. Try it yourself and you'll see. :)

I suggest using the term 'New York' in the search field.

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=new+york

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

JFK
    Woodside (Queens)

If you want to head to Manhattan for some sightseeing, take the Airtrain to the subway - it's the fastest and cheapest way to go. http://www.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm

You could take the subway or the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) back to Woodside.

I like to walk in Manhattan, but otherwise the subways are the best way to get around.

I like to walk in Manhattan, but otherwise the subways are the best way to get around.

Buses are good too, very easy to figure out. I forget the price of a day pass?

I love the grid pattern of the streets, its almost impossible to get lost. You always know where you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

dave2pvd wrote: »
    I suggest using the term 'New York' in the search field.
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=new+york

Nothing useful there. ;)
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I looking forward to exploring! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Buses are good too, very easy to figure out. I forget the price of a day pass?

I love the grid pattern of the streets, its almost impossible to get lost. You always know where you are.

You can use your metrocard on the bus which is superb. A 7 day unlimited pass is $30 which is probably the best value for that length of time for any city in the world.

Advertisement