Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which of these hotels to stay in ?

• 28-02-2014 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Looking at staying in either of Bunratty Castle Hotel or Falls Hotel for a couple of nights. And we'll have a baby with us !
    Any suggestions or recommendations on which would be better ?
    Thanks all.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've stayed at both for weddings and I'd much prefer to stay in Bunratty. If you have a baby it'd be handy as well as there are less steps, a couple of bars within walking distance and just off the dual carriage way in case you need to get anywhere quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

I would pick the Falls everytime over Bunratty.The Falls is a beautiful old hotel with lovely grounds a nice bar and restaurant with a lovely river walk.Its in Ennistymon a beutiful old fashioned town near the sea and in the heart of the burren.Bunratty on the other hand is purpose built tourist trap with little or nothing to do in once you have visited the castle and park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I personally did not like the Falls hotel when i stayed there - thought it was over priced and over rated. The room had not been renovated since I don't know when, the mattress was horribly uncomfortable and the place is a rabbit warren, however if you are looking for somewhere with things to do during the day, then I'd reluctantly have to go with the Falls over Bunratty due to all the things dpofloinn mentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭phantom60

Thanks all.

@Clareman....If you don't mind me asking - why did you prefer Bunratty Castle Hotel ? Is it more modern the The Falls ? I get the impression that it is and would be that bit "fresher" or newer.

@dpofloinn...did you have a negative experience of Bunratty Castle Hotel ? Or is it just that you liked The Falls and, more so, the town ?

@mel.b...Thanks, its things like quality of the rooms, in need of renovation etc which would turn me off a hotel.

I appreciate that its hard to judge a hotel for someone else....different tastes etc.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

I have nothing bad to say about the Bunratty Castle Hotel, like alot of people in Clare and Limerick I have attended functions and stayed in both.I simply would choose the Falls on the basis its a nice hotel that has a lot more going on in its surrrounds than Bunratty.I will say about Bunratty that outside of the castle and park there is nothing much to do in Bunratty unless you want go to the pub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

I didn't care for Bunratty castle and the food in the Falls is hit and miss

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Ahoy Ahoy

I stayed in doonbeg over the summer and it was fantastic. Would go back tomorrow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

phantom60 wrote: »
    @Clareman....If you don't mind me asking - why did you prefer Bunratty Castle Hotel ? Is it more modern the The Falls ? I get the impression that it is and would be that bit "fresher" or newer.

It just seemed nicer, nicer staff, nicer staff and nicer area around, I know it's the side of a major road, but the other side you have a great tourist attraction. Both were nice and I was after a wedding in both, the 1 in the Falls was around Christmas, the 1 in Bunratty was in the summer which can make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I've no experience of the Bunratty hotel but as far as I know the Falls has been refurbished lately - in any case it would be worth asking for a newer room as the new wing on reception level is lovely, added in the past ten years or so. It's a very family friendly town, if you do decide to go with the Falls do go for a coffee and crepe at the creperie Oh La La, it's a lovely spot. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

2 good hotels. Let the location make your decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

Bunratty Manor if you're in that area, for sure. Great service :)

g

Advertisement