If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amplifier + more

Options
  • 28-02-2014 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Hi there, 

I am looking for some stuff for a friend, more specifically an amplifier, tuner and a cd player to go with two existing Pinnacle PN6 speakers (old but good). What's your suggestion for a budget around 500euro?

If possible the amplifier will be able to accept a usb/3.5 jack for an mp3 player and will be able to accept two more speakers. In a later day a turntable and a cassette player (he is from the past!) will be added so he will need the additional inputs.
    We can also work around with an a/v receiver as well if it will make things easier or cheaper.

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Astra.

I suppose the initial question that I would have is how important is the tuner ?

In a lot of cases, people use their phones with something like tune-in radio and it would allow for a much better amplifier and cd player, ie. better all-round performance.

The Pinnacle speakers are 4 Ohm impedance so this may dictate the amplifier. They are quite old by the production date. I'm actually surprised that the drivers have not perished by this stage.

How likely is it that he will want to run another pair of speakers at some stage ?

Sorry for the questions, just don't want any problems down the line if I recommend the wrong thing.

The A/V receiver would not allow for as good a music performance as a dedicated stereo amplifier.

Let me know on the above and I'll fire a few ideas at you ?

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Many thanks for the reply.

The tuner is a must have for him as his phone it's still an old Nokia (again from the past!)

It's not very likely that he ll need another pair of speakers soon, but he wants to have the option if it's possible.

Thanks again!

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi Astra,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Got an idea for ya. 

How about the Cambridge Audio SR10 receiver.  Excellent amp with a built in tuner, and it will also run 2 pairs of speakers.  It also has a built in phono stage so you can connect a turntable in no problems.

Check the link below for more info:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/cambridge-audio/topaz-sr10/camb-sr10-blk

For a good D player to go along with the amp check out the Denon DCD720AE.  This has a USB input on the front so a memory stick, Iphone or Ipod can be connected and will allow playback from these devices. 

Check the link below for more info:
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/cd-players/denon/dcd720ae/deno-dcd720-blk

I reckon that'll be a slick enough system for him :)

Delivery for both would be just £14.99.

Let me know what you think.

Chris

Hey sorry for the delay on getting back to you.

Both these look great, any chance of a better price shipped to Dublin?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Hey sorry for the delay on getting back to you.

Both these look great, any chance of a better price shipped to Dublin?
    Astra,

That's as low as we can go on the Cambridge Audio SR10 & the Denon DCD 720 ( £419.90) - the best we could do is forget to charge the shipping ;)  and hope accounts don't notice :eek:

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Perfect, thanks :) I ll give you guys a call in a while to get them ordered.

Bit late to reply but he received everything and he is very happy with the sound, thanks guys :)

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Bit late to reply but he received everything and he is very happy with the sound, thanks guys :)
    Hey AstraMonti.

No problems at all.

Thanks for letting us know.

Should you require anything in future please drop us a line.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.