Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent! Can I cancel a balance transfer that I sent to the wrong account?

Options
  • 28-02-2014 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

I have sent a balance transfer to another person's account but sent it to the wrong one. Can I get it cancelled and reversed? I need to resent to the correct account. If I can't cancel it I will be down double the money!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi jiltloop[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thank you for contacting us on Boards.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If this was transferred through Bank of Ireland 365 Online, once the payment is confirmed with your PIN details, it is not possible to reverse this payment.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Without posting any account details, can you confirm if payment was made via 365 Online? Do you know the persons account you transferred this to?  Are they Bank of Ireland also or with another bank? Did you transfer to a Credit Card number etc.? [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Alison[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]If this was transferred through Bank of Ireland 365 Online, once the payment is confirmed with your PIN details, it is not possible to reverse this payment.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Without posting any account details, can you confirm if payment was made via 365 Online? Do you know the persons account you transferred this to?  Are they Bank of Ireland also or with another bank? Did you transfer to a Credit Card number etc.? [/font]

Yes it was made through 365, I know the account holder and it is not a Bank of Ireland account. It is an old account of theirs that is closed.

jiltloop wrote: »

Yes it was made through 365, I know the account holder and it is not a Bank of Ireland account. It is an old account of theirs that is closed.
    sorry it wasn't transferred to a credit card number, just an account number

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for the detailed information.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If the person you transferred this to can confirm the account is certainly closed, the funds will automatically be sent back to your account, however this may take up to 5 working days, although it can arrive sooner.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Just to mention, you can also call Bank of Ireland 365, a representative can arrange for a proof of payment to be sent to you. You can bring this to the branch the payment was credited to and this will allow them to send the payment back to you.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Our representatives are available Monday-Friday 8am- 12 midnight, Saturday, Sunday & Bank Holidays 9am-6pm[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]You can contact them on 0818 365 365 / 00353 140 44000[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]It is only a on a rare occasion the payment will not re credit within the above time frame mentioned.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I hope this information helps a little.[/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

sorry it wasn't transferred to a credit card number, just an account number
    Hi jiltloop, 

Although the transfer can't be cancelled, if the payee account is closed, the funds should transfer back to your account. You will more than likely see the credit returned with a narrative such as 'invalid a/c'. The transfer has to reach the payee bank first. If you made the transfer today, it will reach the payee bank of Monday and should be returned to your account within a day or two. If this doesn't happen, please call Banking 365 on 0818 365 365 / 00 353 1 4044000 and a representative will look into the transfer.

I hope this helps. 

Billy 

• Advertisement

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks for the detailed information.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If the person you transferred this to can confirm the account is certainly closed, the funds will automatically be sent back to your account, however this may take up to 5 working days, although it can arrive sooner.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Just to mention, you can also call Bank of Ireland 365, a representative can arrange for a proof of payment to be sent to you. You can bring this to the branch the payment was credited to and this will allow them to send the payment back to you.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Our representatives are available Monday-Friday 8am- 12 midnight, Saturday, Sunday & Bank Holidays 9am-6pm[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]You can contact them on 0818 365 365 / 00353 140 44000[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]It is only a on a rare occasion the payment will not re credit within the above time frame mentioned.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I hope this information helps a little.[/font]

Thanks for your quick and detailed response. Hopefully it comes back to me. I did try calling the 0818 365 365 number but none of the options seemed to relate to my specific predicament. Any idea what section I should be choosing?

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]After the automated introduction, you can press the * button on your phone, this will redirect your call to a representative.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I understand you may be anxious in relation to the transfer, however, in the vast majority of cases it will return by itself as the payment has nowhere to go if the account is closed.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If we can help you again, please just let us know.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]After the automated introduction, you can press the * button on your phone, this will redirect your call to a representative.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I understand you may be anxious in relation to the transfer, however, in the vast majority of cases it will return by itself as the payment has nowhere to go if the account is closed.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]If we can help you again, please just let us know.[/font]

Thanks a million Alison, it has been confirmed by the other bank that the account is inactive and it should be returned in the next few days.

Have a good weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭A2020

Is there any way at all to stop funds going from my account I transfered money yesterday and need to undo if possible 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara P

A2020 wrote: »
    Is there any way at all to stop funds going from my account I transfered money yesterday and need to undo if possible 
    Hi,

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.ie.

Regrettably once the payment is confirmed on Banking 365 online it is not possible to cancel the payment. You’d need to contact the company or person that you made the payment to and request a refund from them.

If you have any other queries please let us know, 

Thanks,

Tara C

• Advertisement
Advertisement