Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive account disconnection charge

Options
  • 28-02-2014 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭

Afternoon folks.   Thought it might be easier to get this matter sorted here as I'm getting conflicting information from Emobile and Eircom's customer service teams.

My mother recently switched her phone and broadband service to Sky having been an Eircom customer for the last few years.   As part of here last bill she received was charged a "Broadband early cease charge" and a "Residential early cease charge" of €259.71 despite not being under contract.

I rang Eircom about it and they say that it relates to a call from November 2013 which has been marked as a "customer promotion" on her account which essentially locked her into a contract.   This relates to a call from Emobile where they were offering a discounted mobile phone with free landline minutest.    
    However (and this is the important bit)  the phone my mother wanted was not in stock.  We therefore received a call from Emobile saying that the contract was cancelled and that my mother would be refunded the €9.00 deposit she had agreed to pay for the Android phone.  Since then my mother has been receiving monthly statements from Emobile which show an account credit is due for €9.00.

Chris from Eircom's customer support team told me that I needed to contact Emobile to get them to mark my mother's account as not being under contract.  Once that is done they could therefore send my mother out a final bill which does not include the account early cease charges. Martina from Emboile's customer service team says that she cannot make any changes to the account number we have for the Emobile account as it is showing as a corporate account.

]Thankfully we are not on direct debit but just to clarify here that were not on contract with Emobile at the time of cancelling as they have not been providing us with a mobile phone service.

Appreciate it if you could advise.  Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Mezcita wrote: »
    Afternoon folks.   Thought it might be easier to get this matter sorted here as I'm getting conflicting information from Emobile and Eircom's customer service teams.

My mother recently switched her phone and broadband service to Sky having been an Eircom customer for the last few years.   As part of here last bill she received was charged a "Broadband early cease charge" and a "Residential early cease charge" of €259.71 despite not being under contract.

I rang Eircom about it and they say that it relates to a call from November 2013 which has been marked as a "customer promotion" on her account which essentially locked her into a contract.   This relates to a call from Emobile where they were offering a discounted mobile phone with free landline minutest.    
    However (and this is the important bit)  the phone my mother wanted was not in stock.  We therefore received a call from Emobile saying that the contract was cancelled and that my mother would be refunded the €9.00 deposit she had agreed to pay for the Android phone.  Since then my mother has been receiving monthly statements from Emobile which show an account credit is due for €9.00.

Chris from Eircom's customer support team told me that I needed to contact Emobile to get them to mark my mother's account as not being under contract.  Once that is done they could therefore send my mother out a final bill which does not include the account early cease charges. Martina from Emboile's customer service team says that she cannot make any changes to the account number we have for the Emobile account as it is showing as a corporate account.

]Thankfully we are not on direct debit but just to clarify here that were not on contract with Emobile at the time of cancelling as they have not been providing us with a mobile phone service.

Hi Mezcita

If you PM us with line and account details we can have a look at this for you.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Mezcita wrote: »

Hi Mezcita

If you PM us with line and account details we can have a look at this for you.
    Tony
    Cheers Tony.  PM sent.

Any update on this issue?  Sent the PM a few days ago.

Hi again.   I'm unfortunately going to have to refer this matter to ComReg if I don't get any response by close of business on Wednesday.

Tony was in touch and said that he was looking into it but that was last week.   Thankfully my mother is not paying by direct debit so we are not out of pocket but just to let you know that I'm more than willing to let this go to court if required.

Anything? Anyone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement