Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phantom USB drive - port not working

• 28-02-2014 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I used a 4Gb drive to transfer some files over onto a Win 7 Ultimate laptop. Drive was picked up as E: and transfer was successful. Removed the drive in the usual Windows procedure of selecting the drive and removing when the Safe To Remove message appeared on the screen.

However, now the drive is still listed in Disk Management as Removable Media and in Device Manager as a Portable Device. This has left the USB port in question unusable. None of the USB storage I've tried work but all the other USB ports work OK.

Tried disabling in Device Manager and reinstalling driver but no luck. Gone so far as to reinstall Windows yet the phantom drive and problem still exist.

Google didn't produce any fixes other than how to hide the drive in Disk Management making changes to Regedit. I'm not to bothered about the drive being visable, I just want the USB port to work. Any help please??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 Traitor

Boot into safe mode and delete the USB drive and offending port(s) from the device manager then reboot and re-enumerate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Traitor wrote: »
    Boot into safe mode and delete the USB drive and offending port(s) from the device manager then reboot and re-enumerate.

No luck. just reinstalled automatically when I booted back into Windows.

Noticed that in Device Manager, under Disks, there is a Genric USB Card Reader listed. I removed this and it did delete the phantom drive in Disk Management. However, it was automatically reinstalled after reboot.

So now I know what the laptop thinks is there but how do I get rid of it?

could be a faulty port on your computer or one of your hubs... try tracking stuff down with USBview.

could be a faulty port on your computer or one of your hubs... try tracking stuff down with USBview.

Looks like an issue with Host Controller 293C

11mf9df.jpg

I'll try to remove in Safe Mode but not expecting a good result.

No luck. Automatically reinstalled. Same issue. :mad:

• Advertisement

Is it a Realtek compact flash USB card reader with a 4gb flash card in it?

Is it a Realtek compact flash USB card reader with a 4gb flash card in it?

No. I plugged a generic 4Gb memory stick into the port. Transferred files OK and removed OK. But the laptop thinks there is a drive still plugged in. There are no USB devices attached to the laptop at all.

What kind of computer is it? I'd like to look up the specs if possible.

What kind of computer is it? I'd like to look up the specs if possible.

Acer Aspire 5735z

Had a look at the 3 USB ports. The one that is not working looks physically different to the other two. The MB was replaced with a "tested" replacement from an eBay store, due to an intial no power issue.

I wonder if the port has been replaced before and if so, would replacing the port itself make any difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sounds like it's an eSATA/USB combo port if it's physically different, but you won't be able to replace just that - it'd be a whole new motherboard.

But before getting that drastic, try a system restore to roll back a few days (if listed) and that should undo the changes made by the drivers.

• Advertisement

Photo on the way....

Original faulty MB

2nhnh1d.jpg

Replacement MB. Centre USB port is the one that is faulty (and looks a little different)

2r2bygk.jpg

Tried a full Windows re-install as there wasn't a restore point available to roll back to.

Ok, so you're probably going to hate this after struggling so long to get the device to go away...

The screen shot you posted has the vendor and device id of a USB device which when looked up is a Realtek card reader ( http://driverscollection.com/Search/USB%5CVID_0BDA%26PID_0158 ).

If this is the device that "shouldn't be there"... it actually should. The Acer Aspire 5735z comes with a built in 5-in-1 card reader which does run on the USB Buss, which is used for SD, MicroSD, etc cards.

The driver for this device is available on ACER's site, but you probably don't need it unless the device isn't running properly.

I don't see any pins/contacts in that port. Could you get a pic at a different angle and make sure the pins aren't smashed up inside the port?

Can you post a screen shot of the "USB Composite Device" listed there too?

Thanks for looking into that for me.

Pins on faulty port look OK. I've attached a couple more photos.

What is the USB Composite Device listed 2 lines above the realtek in USBView?

What is the USB Composite Device listed 2 lines above the realtek in USBView?

No idea. There is nothing connected to the laptop. Webcam is built in to the screen bezel.

11u92lu.jpg

UPDATE: Actually it looks like the idVendor 0x064E refers to the webcam - http://www.pcidatabase.com/search.php?device_search_str=w

Yep. Your webcam.

So am I just looking at a faulty USB port then?

kkelly77 wrote: »
    So am I just looking at a faulty USB port then?

Does nothing work it in? USB mouse/keyboard/anything?

Does nothing work it in? USB mouse/keyboard/anything?

Nothing at all

• Advertisement

kkelly77 wrote: »
    Nothing at all

If not, I'd say the port isn't working. And since the actual port was replaced at some point, I'd say the manufacturer repaired it and sent it out as refurbished because it was failing before. If it was working and stopped, I'd check the solder points on their repair job, or contact whoever you got it from.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can clean out remembered stuff in device manager by using this on a command line

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    start devmgmt.msc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can also use Ghostbuster ...

http://ghostbuster.codeplex.com/

Handier if you want to remove a whole bunch of similar phantom devices in one go, such as all the "Generic Volume" ones you get if you plug in and out a lot of different USB Mass Storage devices.

Advertisement