Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finland - Where to go and what to see?

• 28-02-2014 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I spent almost four months in Jyväskylä last year but because of various constraints, I didn't get the chance to see the rest of Finland.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where I should go, and what I should see? I'm flying over at the beginning of May.

I have Helsinki and Turku on my shortlist, along with Oulu and Tampere. Anything in particular about these places that shouldn't be missed?

I aim to spend between 17-21 days there.

Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Dunno really. I spent a month or two in Helsinki a good few years ago. It's a great town and well worth spending a good few days. There are many architectural gems like the church in a cave, the main train station, Suomenlinna is a lovely island off the coast where people commute daily. Seaurisaari (or something like that) is an island on the outskirts of the city which is an open air folk park with loads of historic wooden dwellings from all regions of the country and is really pleasant. The light at that time of year is so magical, so everything looks golden.

Porvoo is a historical town a little while out of Helsinki and is really scenic. I spend midsummers by a lake outside Mikkeli which, during WWII was the home of the Finnish war effort and I think there are caves you can visit.

So I do think finding yourself a nice lakeside cabin, going for a swim and sauna and some beers/vodka is a thing you have to do.

I'll see if I can remember more.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Nordicgael

Thats a good trip you are planning- seeing the best cities in finland.How are you planning to move around? train tickets are cheaper when you book in advance but bus tickets can be cheap too. The other poster covered Helsinki pretty well - if you need any specific info bout something in helsinki just ask and i will try to help -i currently live in helsinki so wud be happy to help.
    another possible place to see is estonia - Tallin is only a 2 hour ferry ride from Helsinki - nice day trip option.
    At least you have been to finland before so you know its expensive but there are ways to save some costs- but transport and accommodation will be your biggest cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

I appreciate the advice so far.
    Nordicgael wrote: »
    How are you planning to move around? train tickets are cheaper when you book in advance but bus tickets can be cheap too.
    another possible place to see is estonia - Tallin is only a 2 hour ferry ride from Helsinki - nice day trip option.
    At least you have been to finland before so you know its expensive but there are ways to save some costs- but transport and accommodation will be your biggest cost.

Yes, I plan on moving around quite a bit. My longest stay will probably be 4-6 days in Helsinki because I really want to soak in as much as possible of it. Unfortunately my Finnish student card is no longer valid so transport will be a lot more expensive this time, although I do plan on booking everything as soon as possible to save money. I will be traveling by train or bus - whatever is cheapest or most direct.

Tallinn is definitely something I'm considering.

Here are my considerations so far: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/viewer?mid=zcemN7KSO6wo.k9o1Q7vMduhM

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Nordicgael

ok i will give you some links to transport and tourist sites -
    as regards travel fromn airport to helsinki city - i would recommend bus number 615 - its a city service - costs 4.50 euro and takes about half an hour.
    onnibus is a good cheap bus that travels around some of the country so thats a good option to get to the cities you want.
    then in helsinki you can buy travel cards that are valid for between 1 - 7 days on buses and trams thats saves a lot of money - but also if you just buy single tickets they are valid for one hour - so you pay one fare and tranfer between trams or buses for an hour for free- but really helsinki city centre is so small is very easy to walk where you want to go.

www.onnibus.fi/en/service/
    www.vr.fi/en/index/tipsandoffers/Offers.
    www.visithelsinki.fi/en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭billbond4

I was in Lahti for 3 months a few years ago and had a great time, there seemed to be something on every weekend during the summer, maybe try and go there that there is an event on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Tallinn is worth doing and visiting the old town but it's a long day if doing a return that night.

Been years since I was there so can't remember a lot. There was a fortress in the sea that I went to. Think it was good :)
    I was staying on an army base at santahamina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have spent many months in Lappeenranta while growing up. Holds so many fond memories that it is impossible for me to be impartial on the topic though :) Opens up the option of a trip into Russia too ;)

Advertisement