Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flora's Women's Mini Marathon 2014 Mod Note #21

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Moved from Health & Fitness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Oryx wrote: »
    Moved from Health & Fitness
    Is there a walking forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Is there a walking forum

Yeah? It's called the ultra running forum! ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This thread should be fun.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I feel sorry for you, OP. Your thread didnt belong in H&F, but I seem to have dropped you into a nest of vipers. :)

Good luck with your mini marathon. I hope it leads to more. But try to run at least some of it, you'll get plenty of training advice on that score here. (As long as you don't refer to the flora event as 'the marathon', ever again. ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

If you intend on walking it the best advice would be to start near the back, be prepared for a long wait at the start and most importantly, enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Mod: Folks play nice!

Mod hat off: Welcome to the forum. Best of luck with your goal. With regards your training program its a good start but I would advise a bit more time on your feet. What ever approach you take make sure you are consistent no point in trying to make up for a bad week by going out every day the following week. Its a disaster waiting to happen.

In terms of gym work, spinning would be a decent one to do for boosting your aerobic fitness and some gyms have very good spin classes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Paybel wrote: »
    Hi guys,

For the first time I've signed up for the mini marathon.

Here's the link for the sign up if anyone is interested. Link > florawomensminimarathon.ie

So are you joining? :D What's your charity that you are doing it for?
    I haven't picked yet!

I'm walking it and I've already started training in the gym! Ubber excited!

I'm using the guide on the website as a training plan link to Flora's Mini Marathon training tips & training guides

Any tips or suggestions?:)

Well done on signing up. I'm doing it too. It was the first race I ever ran back in 2010 -- it certainly gave me the running bug and it might give it to you too. I know you're planning on walking it, but you might be up to running some of it by June if you've started training already? You could try a couch 2 5k program me to start with (there are loads online).

I'm doing it for Helium this year -- it's a children's arts & healthcare charity

http://www.helium.ie

You'll really enjoy it. It's a great day out as well as a race, and it raises so much money for charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

I'm doing this one again as well. I've done it the last 7 years. Last year was very tough with the heat, here's hoping its a bit cooler this year.

OP I second the post about trying the C25k - its a great place to start.

Good luck and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

I've signed up for the first time too, and walking it. Will probs do it for Age Action I think.
    Better get my arse moving! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

maybe have that discussion here and leave this thread for the race

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I'd like to run it, but the title puts me off....

It's just wrong in so many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Eh because if you read back on previous years most of them think they are an authority on a race they have never ran.

this race is more to do with women collecting for charity than some molly acting like a smart arse.

:confused:
    A 10k is a 10k, you train for it the same way.
    Advice from previous runners would be welcome and tips on things specific to this one but training advice? You get that from anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

I'd like to run it, but the title puts me off....

It's just wrong in so many ways.

Does anyone who objects to the name 'mini marathon' also object to the name 'ultra marathon'?

Or are you not a fan of virtual butter? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

It is interesting that this event can start at 2 PM which would be considered a busy time of the day and the DCM can't start at 9am on a Sunday of a bank holiday.

Mass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

The distance is also a factor. 6.2 miles of road to close, versus 26.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

What would be the best way of travelling up for the event?

We drove up last year and parked at Heuston Station and the plan was to get the luas to O'Connell st to meet with friends and stroll down towards the event from there. But the luas was wedged, literally couldn't get onto one at all and we ended up having to take a taxi as we were runing out of time. Will have hubbie and son in tow to amuse themselves in Dublin.

same plan, but leave earlier, and/or park further out, at the Red Cow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Mod: Please remember folks sexism goes both ways and is against forum charter. Please refrain from derailing another thread on this race. This thread is for race discussion. Off topic posts will be deleted and if people continue bans will be handed out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mrkdips

I would like to jog (very slow of course), however I have no proof of completion in less than 100 mins. If I enter as a walker, can I just jog or walk and jog in intervals. What's the difference - Is it just where you are positioned at start line really based on your timing?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mrkdips

Another question - what is route.

mrkdips wrote: »
    I would like to jog (very slow of course), however I have no proof of completion in less than 100 mins. If I enter as a walker, can I just jog or walk and jog in intervals. What's the difference - Is it just where you are positioned at start line really based on your timing?

Yes, and the further back in the queue you will be which will mean you will cross the start line later than others, and will have to dodge a lot of walkers at the start, and probably for a good deal of it. You could run/jog a 10k run in the next month and then email the Flora Womens Mini Marathon and see if they will move you up to a different category but I don't think they will change your category after the goody bag/number pick up, but I could be wrong on this.

The first time I completed it I was back in the Walkers group, great atmosphere and had a great time, but now I run and being right at the back would drive me mad :)

Go onto their website to see the route, roughly it goes out towards Ballsbridge, turns up near St. Vincents Hospital, over the overpass and back in towards Stephen's Green via Donnybrook.

There's a great atmosphere and its good craic - enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Belkin1975

I did it for the first time last year and it was an amazing experience. The atmosphere was buzzing. Sad reading some of the t-shirts/vests. Some very sad causes but this helped push through the pain (I ran it and had done no training due to an operation 4 weeks before). This year I've decided to run for Laura Lynn House. Make sure to take sunscreen and an old baseball hat in case it's warm. Many got sunburned last year before the start it was a scorcher. Enjoy your day.

I picked up my number last Sunday. Is anyone else under-whelmed by the "not so good" Goodie Bag. Packet of crisps, bar and a whole load of bumf. I for one wish they would save some money by posting out the race number and the magazine and save me driving a 2 hour round trip. All the advertisers could donate the money they save on producing their flyers to a nominated charity each year and we save a few forests. Not long to go now and on a positive, I like the new route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

AK333 wrote: »
    I like the new route.

Hadn't realised until I saw this post that the route had changed. Can't quite make out from the map where the turnaround point is on the Stillorgan Road, does anyone know ? Delighted it looks like we don't have to go over the UCD flyover!

I can't tell either. Not sure if it goes down as far as Fosters Avenue and I'm delighted we don't have to go over UCD flyover as well - sure we'll find out soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Paybel

mrkdips wrote: »
    Another question - what is route.

Here you go!
    Course_Map_WEB_1May2014.jpg_Thumbnail0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

AK333 wrote: »
    I can't tell either. Not sure if it goes down as far as Fosters Avenue and I'm delighted we don't have to go over UCD flyover as well - sure we'll find out soon enough

Will turn before Fosters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I wonder will many people skip under the barrier at the end of Nutley Lane onto the Donneybrook road? I noticed a few doing it last year. If they do it this year, they will cut 2.5km off the route!

Advertisement